The Edmunds Report - Week 3, WTF's v. Bills, 09/26/21

Freddie's Dead

1 minute ago, Lv-Bills said:

So let me get this straight.  PFF covers football ad nauseum, yet they suck.  Their opinion is garbage, right?  But we have an internet poster, that I've seen so many people in this post call "objective" analysis, even though it's the furthest thing from objective.  The OP's analysis, is totally the definition of subjective.  PFF and the OP both have put out subjective analysis, and of course, some of you are using each entity to support your own side of the argument citing whichever analysis you agree with as objective.

LOL.  Completely laughable.  And note....please note.....I gave no opinion on which subjective analysis I think is correct.  That makes this post completely OBJECTIVE as it relates to both the OP or PFF being wrong or right about Edmunds.

I'm reporting what I see on the tape, so if you disregard the grades, that's objective.  The grades are my subjective way of trying to quantify good v bad plays.  Since I have no idea what his assignment is on any play, the grades are completely subjective.  I'm doing this because I was an Edmunds hater.  I've reviewed two game tapes that told me that some of my conclusions on his play were invalid.  Clearly you disagree.  You have very lofty expectations for 49, and he's not meeting them, so you're bummed.  I get it.  Can't help you there.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Lv-Bills said:

So let me get this straight.  PFF covers football ad nauseum, yet they suck.  Their opinion is garbage, right?  But we have an internet poster, that I've seen so many people in this post call "objective" analysis, even though it's the furthest thing from objective.  Which is OK.  It's the OP's viewpoint on what he saw.  It's not objective either.  They make think it is, but there all kinds of hints to a subjective viewpoint.  The OP's analysis, is totally the definition of subjective.  PFF and the OP both have put out subjective analysis, and of course, some of you are using each entity to support your own side of the argument citing whichever analysis you agree with as objective.

LOL.  Completely laughable.  And note....please note.....I gave no opinion on which subjective analysis I think is correct (OP or PFF).  That makes this post completely OBJECTIVE as it relates to both the OP or PFF being wrong or right about Edmunds.  I'm calling either one right or wrong, but drawing my own conclusions about what each one has put out there.

We have ALL seen the absurd rankings that Pff does repeatedly, the childish antics they openly admit to,  yet you expect us to believe they have credibility?? Next thing you know you will be telling everyone that the pats have never cheated…, 

Go Bills!!’

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the hard work Freddie. At least reasonable people will read week to week, and makeup their own mind vs. bending facts to their POV.

I have an open mind.

BTW-I’m in a wait and see this year so you’re Evans when you have time to do it is helpful.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for this. Good solid analysis and actually watching each play. Of course certain plays different posters will call it differently, and I may add to the -1-0-+1 ratings system a +2 or -2 for giving up a long play or score or making a stop that causes a turnover or punt, but this is good fodder for discussion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not qualified to judge how good or bad PFF is. But as others said you can't have it both ways. You can't say Milano is playing great and ranked #2 and say PFF sucks because they rate Edmunds poorly.

Here are a couple of other arguments that don't make sense.

The defense is playing great so Edmunds must be as well or at worst his poor play doesn't matter. This makes zero sense. 

He is great in pass protection because of his range.  Really? Where is the stats or video evidence to back up this claim.  He has 1 pass defense this year and had 3 total in 2020 after having 21 his first two years. I will concede some of these recent low stats may be QB choice not to challenge there. I think he gets great deep drops and it is fairly rare opposing QBs hit a deep crossing route between him and the safeties.  He seems to excel here. But I dont see great anticipation or adjustments to guys crossing in front of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

How can a team field a top 5 defense for the vast majority of the time he has been on this team if the QB of the defense(him) "sucks"?

I don't think he completely sucks, but he has weak instincts that smart offenses can easily exploit. Washington is not a smart offense. The thing he does at an elite level - taking away passing windows in the middle of the field - was on display in that game. But I am slightly terrified thinking of him covering Kelce in 2 weeks.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not qualified to judge how good or bad PFF is. But as others said you can't have it both ways. You can't say Milano is playing great and ranked #2 and say PFF sucks because they rate Edmunds poorly.

The defense is playing great so Edmunds must be as well or at worst his poor play doesn't matter. This makes zero sense. 

He is great in pass protection because of his range.  Really? Where is the stats or video evidence to back up this claim.  He has 1 pass defense this year and had 3 total in 2020 after having 21 his first two years. I will concede some of these recent low stats may be QB choice not to challenge there. I think he gets great deep drops and it is fairly rare opposing QBs hit a deep crossing route between him and the safeties.  He seems to excel here. But I dont see great anticipation or adjustments to guys crossing in front of him. 

Why does it make 0 sense?  It could be a logical fallacy but it seems logical that if the defense is playing well then Edmunds is. 

See cover 1 for video evidence to back up the claims of good in coverage.

EDIT: below is video breakdown from Broncos last year.  most of coverage this year has been to the twitter which i def dont know how to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNB2n8QTfWA&t=467s

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What if I told you 2+2=4? Would I never be wrong about anything else because I was right about that?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think he completely sucks, but he has weak instincts that smart offenses can easily exploit. Washington is not a smart offense. The thing he does at an elite level - taking away passing windows in the middle of the field - was on display in that game. But I am slightly terrified thinking of him covering Kelce in 2 weeks.

Nobody covers Kelce let's be real.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He has 1 pass defense this year and had 3 total in 2020 after having 21 his first two years. 

He has at least two PD's this year, both rejections, one against Rapelisberger and the other against the Muffler (or maybe it's not a PD because Muffler caught the rejection?).  I missed most of the Miami game and my DVR died during it, so I don't know how he played there.

14 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Good Lord, We have "The Edmunds report' now what is this cable news

A few years back, I did The Zebra Report, a tape review of the refs.  

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He shrinks the other zones in coverage and it’s difficult to throw over the top of him. His instincts become an issue against the better offenses and QBs though. Coordinator’s can force him to choose between receiving options, and the better QBs can drop the ball in the bucket behind him like Allen did to Fred Warner last year. The latter is particularly evident when he bites on play action. To be fair though, less competent offenses do tend to avoid his area due to his length and range.

Honestly, I don’t think we’re having this discussion of Edmunds was still making splash plays like his rookie season. One has to wonder why though, and the OP is a great starting point for a closer look. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We'll see how good his coverage is against Kelce.  The Edmunds Report will be there.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He shrinks the other zones in coverage and it’s difficult to throw over the top of him. His instincts become an issue against the better offenses and QBs though. Coordinator’s can force him to choose between receiving options, and the better QBs can drop the ball in the bucket behind him like Allen did to Fred Warner last year. The latter is particularly evident when he bites on play action. To be fair though, less competent offenses do tend to avoid his area due to his length and range.

Astute observation, this is what I saw on the 24-yard seam completion behind 49 that Rapelisberger threw to a PIT tight end in the Squeeler game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks for this. Good solid analysis and actually watching each play. Of course certain plays different posters will call it differently, and I may add to the -1-0-+1 ratings system a +2 or -2 for giving up a long play or score or making a stop that causes a turnover or punt, but this is good fodder for discussion.

I'm already getting enough ***** for being too subjective.  If I was to give out + or - 2?  The haterz would go nuts.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big C said:

That overturned pick by Tre changed the complexion of the game. It was a super soft call and it led directly to that great catch by Claypool which gave them the momentum. 

It was for sure.  Bad call imo.  We still didn’t force them to punt in the 2nd half.

I’m not coming down on our defense.  Our D has been much much better this season.  I just think it’s too early to say we’re a dominant defense considering that we played Old Ben, Heineken and Brissett.  Davis mills……then the real test.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Astute observation, this is what I saw on the 24-yard seam completion behind 49 that Rapelisberger threw to a PIT tight end in the Squeeler game.

It’s been going on for a while. Usually requires an accurate QB and a good TE though. KC exploits this against Edmunds, as did Fitz and Gesicki. Brady did as well until Gronk retired.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We have ALL seen the absurd rankings that Pff does repeatedly, the childish antics they openly admit to,  yet you expect us to believe they have credibility?? Next thing you know you will be telling everyone that the pats have never cheated…, 

Go Bills!!’

I’m not a big pff guy, but the nfl hired pff to give their teams reports.  Over 75% of the ncaa power 5 teams have hired pff for their reports. Their numbers have value and they continue to grow.  

if that doesn’t make them at least a little bit credible (especially compared to the OP, no offense @Freddie's Dead, I love your work), than I’m not quite sure if anything could make them credible in some peoples eyes.  They aren’t the gospel on football, but we can’t discount everything they do just because we don’t agree with some of their rankings.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not coming down on our defense.  Our D has been much much better this season.  I just think it’s too early to say we’re a dominant defense considering that we played Old Ben, Heineken and Brissett.  Davis mills……then the real test.

I'm with you, man...I need to see them against a real threat at QB.  I think there is a lot that is better...the run D, the pass rush...but until there is a true test we just don't know.  You have no idea how badly I want to see Groot reach out with a big paw and twirl Mahomes to the ground.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks for the hard work Freddie. At least reasonable people will read week to week, and makeup their own mind vs. bending facts to their POV.

I have an open mind.

BTW-I’m in a wait and see this year so you’re Evans when you have time to do it is helpful.

Even the Edmunds backers are 💯 wait and see guys.  I haven’t see one person say that they want to pay him 15M+ a year.  Everyone is holding out hope that he gets better and then he might be worth it.  

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm with you, man...I need to see them against a real threat at QB.  I think there is a lot that is better...the run D, the pass rush...but until there is a true test we just don't know.  You have no idea how badly I want to see Groot reach out with a big paw and twirl Mahomes to the ground.

Oh I do buddy!!   But I hope it’s Epenesa.  He brings the pain!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:37 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree....I don't care anymore how McD wants to use him. He's not worth a penny more than these top 5.  Too much backpedaling into no man's land. Zero splash plays. Frustrating instincts. Shut down Kelce in 2 weeks and I'll get off his back.

If he keeps kelce under 75 yards I will try to do a backflip. P.s I’m 44 lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m not a big pff guy, but the nfl hired pff to give their teams reports.  Over 75% of the ncaa power 5 teams have hired pff for their reports. Their numbers have value and they continue to grow.  

if that doesn’t make them at least a little bit credible (especially compared to the OP, no offense @Freddie's Dead, I love your work), than I’m not quite sure if anything could make them credible in some peoples eyes.  They aren’t the gospel on football, but we can’t discount everything they do just because we don’t agree with some of their rankings.  

Well, considering they are certainly not the gospel, and they purposely, and knowingly put out misleading data on a whimsy,  that doesn’t say a lot for the NFL or other organizations that use them as their bottom line stats tracker.

It’s a “now there’s a guy” friendship contact, really nothing more, hell, Cover 1 is a better source of information concerning my team than pff will ever be. It would be a good thing if there were 32 other Cover 1s out there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3. Tremaine Edmunds excellent in coverage

One of the best coverage assets the Bills had all game against Washington was middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, whose size, instincts and reading of the play forced Heinicke into several precarious moments. Edmunds dissuaded Heinicke several times from his first target because of how much ground the linebacker could make up. Edmunds nearly created one interception with a tipped pass that was called back on a penalty, but he subtly created the Bills’ first interception of the game without anyone knowing.

Athleitcs All-22 review of the game.  But lets keep saying he sucks and shouldn't have picked up his option.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think teams subscribe for the grades. I think they subscribe for easy access to the advanced stats like formations, blitz %, and under pressure splits. These are not subjective like the grades.  This is specifically why cover 1 subscribed to them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I don’t think teams subscribe for the grades. I think they subscribe for easy access to the advanced stats like formations, blitz %, and under pressure splits. These are not subjective like the grades.  This is specifically why cover 1 subscribed to them

Good point.  Maybe their grades aren’t very credible……but how is one tbd member who   decides to give his opinion any more credible.  

my point was regarding them being credible.  They are certainly more credible than any one poster in this board, even @BADOLBILZ 😘

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, considering they are certainly not the gospel, and they purposely, and knowingly put out misleading data on a whimsy,  that doesn’t say a lot for the NFL or other organizations that use them as their bottom line stats tracker.

It’s a “now there’s a guy” friendship contact, really nothing more, hell, Cover 1 is a better source of information concerning my team than pff will ever be. It would be a good thing if there were 32 other Cover 1s out there. 

Cover 1 is a great source of info.  But even their info is like a roller coaster.  It’s extremely biased content.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve watched almost every video they’ve made….and that allows me to call them biased.  Sometimes I just shake my head thinking about what homers they are when listening.  Again, not a bad thing…..but they sometimes give bad info as well.  

I just don’t see how cover 1 being a better source of info makes pff any less credible.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cover 1 is a great source of info.  But even their info is like a roller coaster.  It’s extremely biased content.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve watched almost every video they’ve made….and that allows me to call them biased.  Sometimes I just shake my head thinking about what homers they are when listening.  Again, not a bad thing…..but they sometimes give bad info as well.  

I just don’t see how cover 1 being a better source of info makes pff any less credible.

Does Cover 1 purposely put out erroneous information? Answer = no

The same can not be said for pff, as they have admitted to Doing so repeatedly, just to jack  folks around.  

I gotta drop the 🎤 now…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good point.  Maybe their grades aren’t very credible……but how is one tbd member who   decides to give his opinion any more credible.  

my point was regarding them being credible.  They are certainly more credible than any one poster in this board, even @BADOLBILZ 😘

I’m meh on their grades and didn’t comment on the value of the OP versus pff. That’s a very fair point. The OP seems to want to do it 

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

While they are homers they are up

front with it. They also have a very good perspective particularly in their roles. Erik breaks down tape at a level similar to Baldy (better than other content creators such as Jackson Krueger) and Gregg has gotten several contracts dead on. I don’t listen to hoof but like the opinions of Quinn and pohashka. What is the bad info they have given?

Edited by YattaOkasan

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Does Cover 1 purposely put out erroneous information? Answer = no

The same can not be said for pff, as they have admitted to Doing so repeatedly, just to jack  folks around.  

I gotta drop the 🎤 now…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

I wasn’t really arguing with you.  

my premise didn’t have to do with erroneous info.

Their grading is based on a formula.  If people don’t agree with their formula, I get it.  It confuses me how they come up with some of these grades.  

my point was:  pff is a credible source of information.  While not all of their info is credible, one shouldn’t just assume that all of their information isn’t credible.  Billion dollar company’s pay them

Anyways, I’m over it.  I don’t like the guys at pff.  I’ve watched several of their podcasts over the years and I find Sam and Steve arrogant and extremely annoying.  I just don’t think that all of their information is bogus.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Their grading is based on a formula.  If people don’t agree with their formula, I get it.  It confuses me how they come up with some of these grades.  

my point was:  pff is a credible source of information.  While not all of their info is credible, one shouldn’t just assume that all of their information isn’t credible.  Billion dollar company’s pay them

Anyways, I’m over it.  I don’t like the guys at pff.  I’ve watched several of their podcasts over the years and I find Sam and Steve arrogant and extremely annoying.  I just don’t think that all of their information is bogus.  

👍

How about this olive branch? (For context, I'm the type of Bills fan who sees the glass as half full as long as specific players give me any glimpses to do so. I'm usually reluctant to jump off any Bills player's bandwagon, and my default setting is one of hope and support.)

I think Edmunds MUST do good things in pass coverage, in his zone drops, that fit what McD's looking for in that aspect of the game (and that we can't always see or demonstrate as fans and 3rd party analysts). And so it's possible that Tremaine Edmunds is some new kind of MLB who is actually more of a S in that he excels dropping, backing up, moving laterally, and taking away plays for which there isn't always evidence of success. 

There are current players who suggest that a modern-day MLB can in fact impact plays BOTH as a more passive pass defender AND as a downhill attacker (I can think of a few, and likely so can you), but maybe (?) what Tremaine does well is more important as the NFL progresses as a pass-first league? 

That being said, there is NO way Edmunds has earned an elite payday. He just hasn't. That doesn't mean he's garbage, that doesn't mean he's a bust. But to pay him what the market will likely dictate seems like lunacy to me. His passive and quiet trickle-down effectiveness against the pass cannot justify big, long-term dollars. 

We can't lose sight of the big picture here.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

FYI PFF’s player grades are not based on a formula. They are subjective pluses and minuses exactly like the OP given by their ‘analysts’ who may or may not have any real football experience. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

3. Tremaine Edmunds excellent in coverage

One of the best coverage assets the Bills had all game against Washington was middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, whose size, instincts and reading of the play forced Heinicke into several precarious moments. Edmunds dissuaded Heinicke several times from his first target because of how much ground the linebacker could make up. Edmunds nearly created one interception with a tipped pass that was called back on a penalty, but he subtly created the Bills’ first interception of the game without anyone knowing.

Athleitcs All-22 review of the game.  But lets keep saying he sucks and shouldn't have picked up his option.  LOL

I love the "he subtly created" the interception.

No. :lol:

He was part of a double team with Taron Johnson........which called for him to take two steps back into coverage.   Heinicke not recognizing that Edmunds' coverage responsibility was most likely the slot receiver was a just a bad read......even for a young QB.    Where else was he going to go from that position on that play?

The good pursuit/coverage by Milano was the tougher assignment to execute and the interception itself was more of an individual example of instinctive play by Poyer.     

The kind of instinctive play that Edmunds never makes.

Edmunds subtly created that interception the same way that the other 9 players that merely executed their job in team defense did.

The lack of big plays from Edmunds has become so glaring that those who apologize for it are desperately trying to assign extra credit for executing basic assignments.

Pete Prisco might want to re-visit that NFL defensive player of the year prediction for Tremaine..........3 games in Edmunds looks the same.

No big plays = no big hardware.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GoBills! said:

Rumor has it Legend of Kiko will return next season instead of Edmunds...

Tremaine's coverage skills are even more legendary than Kiko at this point.

As the saying goes........"once you get a reputation as an early riser,  you can sleep til noon"...........TE49 played his best in coverage in 2019........that was before teams adjusted how they attack him in the passing game.........he has mostly been caught sleeping-in-late a lot in coverage since the beginning of 2020.

52 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

FYI PFF’s player grades are not based on a formula. They are subjective pluses and minuses exactly like the OP given by their ‘analysts’ who may or may not have any real football experience. 

Sorry, formula was a poor choice of words on my part.  

Some of them may not have any real football experience.  Some of them may have lots of real footbal experience.  Maybe that’s why some of their grades are spot on and some are so far off. 

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Cover 1 is a better source of information concerning my team than pff will ever be. It would be a good thing if there were 32 other Cover 1s out there. 

What, 32 more places where the only opinion allowed is their opinion and if you disagree they block you? Yea we need more of that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love the "he subtly created" the interception.

No. :lol:

He was part of a double team with Taron Johnson........which called for him to take two steps back into coverage.   Heinicke not recognizing that Edmunds' coverage responsibility was most likely the slot receiver was a just a bad read......even for a young QB.    Where else was he going to go from that position on that play?

The good pursuit/coverage by Milano was the tougher assignment to execute and the interception itself was more of an individual example of instinctive play by Poyer.     

The kind of instinctive play that Edmunds never makes.

Edmunds subtly created that interception the same way that the other 9 players that merely executed their job in team defense did.

The lack of big plays from Edmunds has become so glaring that those who apologize for it are desperately trying to assign extra credit for executing basic assignments.

Pete Prisco might want to re-visit that NFL defensive player of the year prediction for Tremaine..........3 games in Edmunds looks the same.

No big plays = no big hardware.

Serious question…do intentionally always create terrible takes just stir the pot or do you really believe the stuff you post?

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Serious question…do intentionally always create terrible takes just stir the pot or do you really believe the stuff you post?

It's a realistic take..........which some of you can't handle.

What Washington was attempting to do on that play was dot Edmunds up for a quick 12 yards or so like the Dolphins did on a similar play(3rd and 13) the week prior.    

Give him credit for realizing that mistake was on tape and that Washington would try to help themselves to some of that low hanging fruit.

But an instinctive MLB instead baits Heinicke into throwing that pass into double coverage and HE takes the responsibility to make the play on the football..........passing the responsibility off to Milano in chase mode was one way to do it but not the best way.

And that's really what it comes down to more often than not with Tremaine.........he usually gets the job done.....like in a different play last week......helping make the tackle one yard short on a 3rd and 15 screen pass in Miami........but he almost never makes the best play that could have been made by a MLB in that position.

And that's not to say a ton of MLB do make the best play......there are very few even above average performers at the position in the NFL.

But it's a devalued position for a reason.  

Middling MLB play doesn't get you beaten...........middling CB play or pass rush does that.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What, 32 more places where the only opinion allowed is their opinion and if you disagree they block you? Yea we need more of that. 

What is this allowed thing?  I find them to be juvenile in their actions and therefore not particularly trustworthy in the information they put out, they admit to putting out misinformation just to bust peoples balls, how is that what a professional organization does?  

Edited by Don Otreply