Rookie Josh Allen vs Rookie Zach Wilson

Inigo Montoya

Jets' Nation is aflame right now after their 0-3 start.  It's not just the losing, but the way they are losing.  I don't think anyone expected Wilson to come out and light it up like Mahomes did, but Wilson really has looked bad.  The lack of an O-Line isn't doing him any favors either.  It looks like this year's O-Line for the Jets may be worse than last year's, and that is saying something.

It's way too early to say that Wilson is a bust, but even when Josh was a rookie and the Bills were struggling to win games, Josh was making plays, leading the offense, and Josh was at the heart of anything good that the offense did.  Josh wasn't taking the league by storm his rookie season, but you could see that the guy was a baller and that he had a ceiling that he wasn't anywhere close to reaching yet.  Josh flashed almost every game and teased what he was capable of that rookie season.

Watching Wilson play, you just don't get that sense.  Wilson just isn't playing well and he's not flashing.  He's getting hammered behind an inept O-Line, he has happy feet, and he is throwing picks  Through three games Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and has been sacked 15 times. 

Even if Wilson just needs some time to develop, it looks like the Jets are doing their best Sam Darnold re-run and providing Wilson with zero support.  For a franchise that has had so much draft capital and tons of cap space, the team they have put around Wilson this year is pitiful.  This has to be Joe Douglas' last season.

Josh didn't win much his first season but he played well enough to give people hope that he could turn into a real NFL QB.  So far with Wilson that's not the case.   It looks like the new Jets GM will have a big decision on what to do with that first overall pick next year...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wilson looks way way way overmatched. I do not look at him and see a QB. If he wasn’t a high pick, he might be on his way to bagging groceries before November 1. And they do not have a legit backup. That franchise is a cluster. 

Josh looked like an amazing athlete with zero weapons and very raw rookie talent in year 1. He was not ready and polished but he gave us reason to hope. Wilson not so much. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wilson is a bust. Worst QB in the class. I’ve been saying it since draft day. His mother is smokeshow though. So he’s got that going for him which is pretty nice

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wilson is a bust. Worst QB in the class. I’ve been saying it since draft day. His mother is smokeshow though. So he’s got that going for him which is pretty nice

Overhyped by New York MEDIA.  I agree a bust

He should of never seen the field this year. They should of let Darnold take these lumps or signed someone. Him and Lawrence both look completely lost right now. But Wilson at times looks like he’s never really played quarterback before. It’s like seeing that poor Denver receiver last year getting thrown in the fire. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Wilson actually has better Wr's than Josh did, but Wilson's Oline might be worse. 

I watched about 10 plays toady and he had wide open receivers and bounced the football at their feet. It's still early, but he looks lost. Hopefully he does not have a connection to Jordan Palmer.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Jets' Nation is aflame right now after their 0-3 start.  It's not just the losing, but the way they are losing.  I don't think anyone expected Wilson to come out and light it up like Mahomes did, but Wilson really has looked bad.  The lack of an O-Line isn't doing him any favors either.  It looks like this year's O-Line for the Jets may be worse than last year's, and that is saying something.

It's way too early to say that Wilson is a bust, but even when Josh was a rookie and the Bills were struggling to win games, Josh was making plays, leading the offense, and Josh was at the heart of anything good that the offense did.  Josh wasn't taking the league by storm his rookie season, but you could see that the guy was a baller and that he had a ceiling that he wasn't anywhere close to reaching yet.  Josh flashed almost every game and teased what he was capable of that rookie season.

Watching Wilson play, you just don't get that sense.  Wilson just isn't playing well and he's not flashing.  He's getting hammered behind an inept O-Line, he has happy feet, and he is throwing picks  Through three games Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and has been sacked 15 times. 

Even if Wilson just needs some time to develop, it looks like the Jets are doing their best Sam Darnold re-run and providing Wilson with zero support.  For a franchise that has had so much draft capital and tons of cap space, the team they have put around Wilson this year is pitiful.  This has to be Joe Douglas' last season.

Josh didn't win much his first season but he played well enough to give people hope that he could turn into a real NFL QB.  So far with Wilson that's not the case.   It looks like the new Jets GM will have a big decision on what to do with that first overall pick next year...

I see your point but don’t think it’s an apt comparison for a few reasons.

You mentioned the Jets are an absolute dumpster fire which is true.

However, Josh is a Big Ol Country boy. A Man’s man when it comes to measurables.

Zack is slight of build. He’s not built to take the beating he’s taking whereas Josh was not only built for it but was out there putting his body on the line repeatedly and loving it.

The human in me feels bad for the kid but the Bills fan in me LOVES watching the Jets jet.

Sam Darnold not looking like such a bum after all.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Agree 1

Josh had no talent around him and had no idea how to play the game for his first few games. The best thing that helped him was sitting out a few games and watching guys with a quarter his physical talent. Josh is a supreme physical athlete but Zach is just a normal QB physically.

• Like (+1) 1

I have zero love for the Jets and as an organization I wish nothing but the worst for them. But Boy Band has been set up to fail. Jets didn't even bother to have a vet QB on the roster to act as a mentor. He's being fed to the NFL wolves. Regrettably his QB coach was tragically killed while riding a bike this past summer. And say what you want about the Jets OL but they've been without Becton who by all accounts looks like a beast. Comparing Boy Band's rookie year to Josh's doesn't seem fair to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I haven’t watched him much this season but in the preseason he looked good and made Tyler Kroft look like an All-Pro

35 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Zach Wilson beat out Geno Smith for most INTs for a Jets QB in their first 3 games today.

Zach Wilson is currently the most sacked QB in the NFL with 15 sacks. 

Give Justin Fields another couple games...

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.