Rookie Josh Allen vs Rookie Zach Wilson

Inigo Montoya

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I see your point but don’t think it’s an apt comparison for a few reasons.

You mentioned the Jets are an absolute dumpster fire which is true.

However, Josh is a Big Ol Country boy. A Man’s man when it comes to measurables.

Zack is slight of build. He’s not built to take the beating he’s taking whereas Josh was not only built for it but was out there putting his body on the line repeatedly and loving it.

The human in me feels bad for the kid but the Bills fan in me LOVES watching the Jets jet.

Sam Darnold not looking like such a bum after all.

I respectfully disagree.

You're certainly right that there are huge physical differences there. But as far as performance, both were really pretty bad their first few games in the league.

Bills fans remember some hopeful moments that year, and there were some. Most came in the second half of the year. His first few games he ran a lot but was pretty awful passing.

The thing that made me more hopeful with Allen was that he had less experience than Wilson has. But it's so so very early. Do people remember how absolutely awful Peyton Manning was early? In his first four games, Manning had 3 TDs and 11 INTs. Only one of his passer ratings for those four games got up into the 60s (63.2). He was awful. And yes, the Colts were a tire fire, but same with the Bills offense that first year and the Jets offense this year.

And yeah, Darnold looks like he's going to be for real.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I just watched a Youtube vid of every Wilson pass yesterday and honestly he wasn't as bad as his stats show. The Jets fans make me laugh how they're suggesting getting another 1st round QB already. He's not been great but he had so many passes that were on the WR's hands and were dropped. In that sense I see real similarities to Allen. That was something we all saw in his second season but of course the people who didn;t watch the games never mentioned it.

He also has zero time to throw so often and the pocket just implodes around him. They need to make sure the kid isn;t shell shocked because Allen is a big guy who could take it but Wilson is so much smaller.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I respectfully disagree.

You're certainly right that there are huge physical differences there. But as far as performance, both were really pretty bad their first few games in the league.

Bills fans remember some hopeful moments that year, and there were some. Most came in the second half of the year. His first few games he ran a lot but was pretty awful passing.

The thing that made me more hopeful with Allen was that he had less experience than Wilson has. But it's so so very early. Do people remember how absolutely awful Peyton Manning was early? In his first four games, Manning had 3 TDs and 11 INTs. Only one of his passer ratings for those four games got up into the 60s (63.2). He was awful. And yes, the Colts were a tire fire, but same with the Bills offense that first year and the Jets offense this year.

And yeah, Darnold looks like he's going to be for real.

The biggest difference I see in their rookie seasons is that Josh had those moments when he would literally will his team down the field. Take the game against the Vikings which I think was his 3rd game and second start. Yeah, the defense played well in that game but Allen put on some real magic during (the jump over Barr, the super man impression when he flew into the endzone). Right there and then you could see he had something, and that same Josh would show up at times throughout the year.

I agree he was much better after the injury, that's when it seemed to slow down for him. And I have to say, for all the talk of the Jets offense, the Bills offense that year was just as bad. That line, Dawkins aside, was appalling, and his WRs were guys no longer in the league or just reserves. As someone else said, he made Foster look pretty great at times that year and now the guy can't stick to another team.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

While I think Wilson was a reasonable choice, I think the mistake the Jets made was not clearing seeing he needs to stay on the sideline for awhile. Why they did not get a guy like Brissett or Fitz amazes me. 

Yes, new coach but same approach to destroying a rookie QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I just watched a Youtube vid of every Wilson pass yesterday and honestly he wasn't as bad as his stats show. The Jets fans make me laugh how they're suggesting getting another 1st round QB already. He's not been great but he had so many passes that were on the WR's hands and were dropped. In that sense I see real similarities to Allen. That was something we all saw in his second season but of course the people who didn;t watch the games never mentioned it.

He also has zero time to throw so often and the pocket just implodes around him. They need to make sure the kid isn;t shell shocked because Allen is a big guy who could take it but Wilson is so much smaller.

I agree, you can watch it here:

Not sure what else he’s supposed to do, he locks onto his first read too often but he’s mostly delivering catchable balls from a very muddy pocket.  His right tackle is basically a pylon and his receivers have two left hands.  Can’t judge the guy from what they’ve surrounded him with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not sure what else he’s supposed to do, he locks onto his first read too often but he’s mostly delivering catchable balls from a very muddy pocket.  His right tackle is basically a pylon and his receivers have two left hands.  Can’t judge the guy from what they’ve surrounded him with.

He throws 4 or 5 terrible passes, but for the most part those all occurred after they were getting killed and he had taken a beating.  He actually looks fairly decent given what he has to work with.  He definitely has a chance if they can keep him alive and his psyche intact while they build that roster.  Also, how bad of a signing was Corey Davis?

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I haven’t watched him much this season but in the preseason he looked good and made Tyler Kroft look like an All-Pro

If only he saw vanilla defenses all year lol

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I've watched every second of every jets game because I have the unfortunate displeasure of getting them as my local team and it is definitely all the things you said AND hes playing bad though lol.  He threw a pretty large quantity of horrible passes to open guys and has made plenty of terrible decisions.  All his picks in the previous game were with a clean pocket and they were just awful throws.

Wilson is talented (even though he looks like an adolescent) but he's a rook playing the most demanding position in all of professional sports. He doesn't have much of a run game and his o-line has been very bad, that big LT has looked terrible (maybe not all his fault). Jets are sure to stunt his growth but he will do well after he's traded to a better organization for a fifth rounder.

• Agree 1

Until they actually fix the OL and get some weapons around him it will be an exercise in futility no matter who the QB is for the Jets. Look at Darnold in Carolina right now. I don't blame Wilson but so much at this point. If they don't at least get the OL fixed then he won't last the season. 

Getting injured in Texans game in Josh's rookie year actually helped his development quite a bit. He got to step back and learned from the sideline when he was out. He showed obvious improvement when he came back. It's a blessing in disguise then.

Jets should have Wilson learned from the sideline too instead of playing him. They did it totally wrong without a veteran quarterback and simply granted starting QB position to Wilson at camp.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.