What exactly was that 4th down play supposed to be?

LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

The other one was much worse. This looked like bad playcall in hindsight, but McD's decision to play 4&8 with no offensive rhythm instead of trying 53y FG after he didn't go for two shorter ones was extremely bad decision. I don't remember him making worse in game decision.

100% agree!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I hated the design of that play the moment it started.

Not the right call for that scenario.  Too many moving parts, too reliant on luck and things working as planned.

On a big 4th and 1, Josh should line up under center, and do a QB sneak right over the center.

You know, the play Tom Brady has pulled off 1,000 times in his career.

It's boring, but it works.  And Josh is a huge, strong, tall guy with long arms.

That would be a much smarter play over a large sample of snaps than the crap we saw today.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I hated the design of that play the moment it started.

Not the right call for that scenario.  Too many moving parts, too reliant on luck and things working as planned.

On a big 4th and 1, Josh should line up under center, and do a QB sneak right over the center.

You know, the play Tom Brady has pulled off 1,000 times in his career.

It's boring, but it works.  And Josh is a huge, strong, tall guy with long arms.

That would be a much smarter play over a large sample of snaps than the crap we saw today.

There were about 4 plays called on offense that I thought were far too cute

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Daboll is great in games where we completely overmatch the competition. everything seems so smart and fun. but when other teams have our number, there are never adjustments. After our last two games (KC and today) I am afraid we have been figured out and won't be able to adjust enough to be what we were. 

We'll beat up on teams with lesser defenses. Pittsburgh is one of 3-4 teams in the league can generate that level of pass rush with only 4 guys and Daboll will go right back to believing in his own Genius then when he faces a real defense, it will all crumble again. 

• Like (+1) 2

It was a stupid call - plain and simple.  They probably should’ve just tried to sneak it with Allen but if they didn’t have confidence based on the way the OL was playing I would understand.  

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Watch the play again and you will see that the play design had Gilliam there to make the block.

He didn't and the play got blown up.

It didn’t look like he had much of a much of a chance.  DB made a good play.  It was a bad play call

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It was a stupid call - plain and simple.  They probably should’ve just tried to sneak it with Allen but if they didn’t have confidence based on the way the OL was playing I would understand.  

It didn’t look like he had much of a much of a chance.  DB made a good play.  It was a bad play call

Well the fact is it was a horrible result.  That doesn't negate Gilliam's part in it.