Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Those same people will be happy we got that additional pick come draft time next year

I personally would have liked to see Addison traded....maybe it just wasnt possible

Johnson isn’t going to get in Rousseau’s ear right before the biggest play of the season and tell him what counter to use that he was helping GR set up all game.

Addison’s experience and what sounds like his ability and definitely his willingness to convey that experience to others is a huge asset and adds to his value.

They just invested a huge amount of assets in young DEs. Five years from now when they are all hopefully playing on their second contracts, I would have to imagine they will all credit the mentorship that Addison offered this season as key reasons they learned to do it the right way, and they will subsequently pass that along to the next batch of DE prospects one day.

These guys have never had to go through the game planning other teams will be doing to exploit their weaknesses, they need a calm guiding voice in the locker room that have had success and also have gone through the ups and downs of a season. Hughs and Addison have and they both play differently and can offer different advice to each player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow I seen this thread before I left this morning and now it's 11 pages.

Anyone think that maybe the STs will have more LBs on them this year (like they are suppose to be) instead of a DE?

If Taiwan Jones is cut tomorrow this board might melt down.

I'm so done with this team???

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Johnson is maybe worth a little more than a sixth round pick.  Like a fifth.  

This is fine though.  We were going to have to cut an NFL-caliber DE.  Getting something for one of them is a positive.  Good on Beane for adding a lottery pick for next year's roster.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

So if by 4pm tomorrow we cut Johnson and got nothing for him what would be the take here? Probably zilch.... Or, we will sign him to the PS...

We get return on a player we were most likely going to cut and people are angry? "Help me understand" - VGG

I think people are angry that he was not on the final 53 not what value Beane got in the trade.  Not me.  He never showed any promise on defense and Addison and Obada both outplayed him last year.  I'm glad Beane got a pick because Johnson was not going to make the 53.  

This board needs to stop thinking like it is 2010-2019.  Special teams mean nothing.  That is what loser teams with no talent care about.  Johnson had 8 special teams tackles last year.  Who the hell cares. Someone else will make those 8 tackles this year. 

Now jettison Jones and keep Kumerow and an extra LB.  

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is fewer snaps, I get that, but special teams errors can be momentum swings they can be easy scores, they are stolen possessions. Just looking at the numbers and saying "ah well it isn't a third of the game numerically" misses the point for me. Nobody is arguing it is as important as offense or defense but it isn't an after thought and if you treat it like that you will suffer. And it isn't just me that thinks this.... a lot of the best coaches in the NFL do too. I don't have the Bills 2018 special team yards given up to hand but it was a lot and it hurt the team. Equally I know Roberts had the best overall return numbers across two disciplines in the league last year. That helped the team.

But it's harder to finish near the top of the league in team defense (yards allowed) like the 2018 Bills if your special teams aren't so woeful that they allow opposing offenses the best starting field position in the NFL.     @GoBills808 would say that special teams make your defense worse!

This is great for the Bills and Bam.

Bam was never going to get a real chance to shine on a bills Roster that now has 3 young, high draft picks and two veterans. Across from Burns, Bam might be able to get more playing time than he would have with us. 

For the Bills, we got a 6th rounder for a former 7th rounder who was going to be a free agent after this year. As the Bills cap figure starts to creep up with Allen’s new contract, these are the type of roster churning moves that have to be made to keep us competitive. Move off a player a year before he gets more expensive than he is worth or before he can leave for nothing.

Good job Beane and good luck Bam, you played well in your limited role here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Bills clear the logjam at DE a little bit and pocket a late round pick for their troubles. Still would not be shocked to see Addison traded if the right move is there but I think this move means they are carrying 6 DE’s and 4 DT’s.

Again the trade Addison talk  
What happens if Jerry gets hurt who else do we have at the position with any experience ? 

33 minutes ago, Putin said:

the trade Addison talk  

Nobody is trading for a 34 yr old DE with an $8M cap hit. This is Addison's last year here and although he'll be listed as a starter, he will likely play ~55% of the snaps like he did last season. Not unfathomable to think this could be Hughes' last year as well. The young bucks need to step up.

Edited by QCity

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

This is great for the Bills and Bam.

Bam was never going to get a real chance to shine on a bills Roster that now has 3 young, high draft picks and two veterans. Across from Burns, Bam might be able to get more playing time than he would have with us. 

For the Bills, we got a 6th rounder for a former 7th rounder who was going to be a free agent after this year. As the Bills cap figure starts to creep up with Allen’s new contract, these are the type of roster churning moves that have to be made to keep us competitive. Move off a player a year before he gets more expensive than he is worth or before he can leave for nothing.

Good job Beane and good luck Bam, you played well in your limited role here.

Agree on "Good job BBB and good luck Bam!

I think Bam was under contract through 2022 though

16 minutes ago, QCity said:

Nobody is trading for a 34 yr old DE with an $8M cap hit. This is Addison's last year here and although he'll be listed as a starter, he will likely play ~55% of the snaps like he did last season. Not unfathomable to think this could be Hughes' last year as well. The young bucks need to step up.

Again just a note that the trade partner would get his $4M salary, not his whole $8M cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Mario Addison is so undervalued around here---because of his age--- and he's actually important to defense's pass rush. 

Personally I think he is overvalued inside the building but there you go. They are keeping him. Just not sure they should. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think people are angry that he was not on the final 53 not what value Beane got in the trade.  Not me.  He never showed any promise on defense and Addison and Obada both outplayed him last year.  I'm glad Beane got a pick because Johnson was not going to make the 53.  

This board needs to stop thinking like it is 2010-2019.  Special teams mean nothing.  That is what loser teams with no talent care about.  Johnson had 8 special teams tackles last year.  Who the hell cares. Someone else will make those 8 tackles this year. 

Now jettison Jones and keep Kumerow and an extra LB.  

Been watching our squad since 83 and honestly cannot remember a Bills team having as much depth to date. It truly speaks volumes about our FO the last few years.  Anytime you can take a 7th rd player and get contribution and better capital back you are doing something right.  

Curious to see the final 53 later. GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

It shows how good Beane is at praising to raise value. He and Farwell mentioned BAM multiple times for his need to be “gameplanned” against. Now I think it was all a set-up to get someone to take the bait. It’s not like the kid was Tasker part 2 or anything. 

18 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Not a surprise to I at all as you mentioned above.

Much better to get something for him over nothing to me at this phase. Beane is a solid A$$ GM and I 100% trust him. 

I wish Beane could help the Sabres make an Eichel deal

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good Luck and all the best in Carolina Bam  :)

18 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I wish Beane could help the Sabres make an Eichel deal

I think Jacks old agent was part of the problem maybe things can get smoothed over now.

Wonder if Beane figures he'll be getting a comp pick for Trubisky in his decision to keep Addison.  He gets a 6th for the last guy on DE depth chart (Bam Johnson) and may see a mid round pick for Mitch.  Doubt he would have done better than a 5th/6th for Addison giving age and salary.  Easier to keep Addison and pay him for final year knowing he could hep on pass rush part time and coach up the kids. 

Really look forward to a turbo or NASCAR rush package using Obada and Groot inside and Jerry and Mario outside.  Trade the train horn for revving engines sound on 3rd down pass rush plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.