Tell Me About Average Bills Fans

Shaw66

53 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

There are some.  This one had really been looking forward to laying around watching the game this afternoon....but will, instead, be fleeing the coast.

Stay safe.  I've set up a spare pump in the basement. 

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Stay safe.  I've set up a spare pump in the basement. 

You too, we are not too worried about flooding but we live in Saybrook...essentially on a peninsula which becomes and island in big storms.  I have had some health issues, so we don't like getting cut off from the rest of the world.   But Glastonbury is lovely this time of year.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:38 PM, Blainorama5 said:

If my wife forced me to miss a game because of furniture?  Houston, we'd have a seeeerious problem.

Thankfully, she's a fan too and would never even attempt such a thing.  I would call her more of an average fan though.  She knows (recognizes) a bunch of player names, certainly some history (we've been married 15 years) and has definitely shared in some of the emotional scars that came along with the drought as well as recent playoff losses.  But any real details, more depthful back stories, or camp battles, etc. - she's just not tuned into that stuff.  She's just a Sunday Bills fan - but I love her anyway.

And no, she doesn't read fan forums, so I'm not just sucking up.  😉

When I was dating my wife I was very upfront that my Sunday afternoons were sacrosanct and the only activities that will occur Sunday surround the Bills game. She was also  upfront with me that being from the south she was a college football fan, and being a UGA alum that her Saturday afternoons were sacrosanct and the only activities that would occur Saturday surround the Bulldogs game. We've spent the last 35 years yelling WOOF,WOOF,WOOF every Saturday and HEY,AY,AY,AY every Sunday.

• Like (+1) 3

My Sister is!

Her Brother- me, is the Bills Fanatic! Forget about the former 25 Season Tickets Seasons, 2 SBs, 2 AFCs, Playoff games and watching every moment on TV when I wasn’t attending.

I once attended a horrible, rain soaked, meaningless W, in late November, during the Strike Season of 1982... while my home town team (the Argos) were playing in the Grey Cup- at home! That’s fanaticism!

My Sis never seemed interested in team Sports. Her fav player is Gronk. Her husband’s was the GOAT. 🙄However, I have taken my Sis and her late husband to Bills games over a couple of decades. They enjoyed the experiences, especially the Tailgates and gradually became Bills fans as the ‘Home’ team and because of me.

in addition, because of her status as a gambler, she has attended multiple Super Bowl parties in Vegas, grabbed me autographs and signed footballs from Bruuuce at Seneca and watches games with some interest. Especially, if a wager is concerned.

She qualifies.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The average Bills Fan turned off the TV after Peterman throws his third INT. The Die Hard fan watched him throw every INT. Die Hard fans in any sport never lose hope.

And this dopey fan spent good money to sit in the 13th row, and watch that debacle live.

This thread has been a good read.

Whilst I live quite a distance away (Northern Ireland) and cant attend games etc in person (but plan to attend many in future years), I'm  not sure I could be much more of a fan.  The Bills consume my thoughts all day every day.  I spend countless hours on this excellent online community, news websites, daily podcasts (shout out to the excellent Joe Marino), online video content etc.  That's every day during the season and in the off season.

I wear Bills gear all the time, but have to constantly explain to people what it is! (Instead of getting a 'Go Bills' as I walk by ... that would be great).

I couldnt fathom missing any portion of a live game. It's happened a few times and the panic it conjures in me surprises me everytime... if it is the fault of my wife it takes all that I have to remain a gentleman!

A fine example of being Bills obsessed occurred this morning... today is the first day of attending a new school for my 11 year old daughter. As she was leaving the house I looked at her and said... "The one thing I want you to do today is go in there and be the best version of yourself" !   I'm surprised I didnt clap over enthusiastically as she walked up the road!

I started supporting the Bills in 1990.  Playing John Madden 90 is the reason for that... using Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith was essentially cheating!  I'm 42 now and seriously looking at planning my later years around being able to attend plenty of games.

Lastly... a massive thank you to the guys that keep this message board alive and to the key contributors such as YOLO... fans like me who live elsewhere feel much closer to the action because of it.

Go Bills.

Let's win the whole thing this year.

Edited by NI Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 8/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Shaw66 said:

There aren’t a lot of Bills fans in Connecticut, there isn’t a good Bills bar for the few to gather and watch the games.  When I run into a Bills fan, more often than not, they’re a serious fan like me. 

There are a few of us. After retiring from state service I found it not so economical to stay. So here I am in St. John's Florida amongst all the JAG offs😅. Really miss Ct and all the seasons.

On 8/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

The average Bills Fan turned off the TV after Peterman throws his third INT. The Die Hard fan watched him throw every INT. Die Hard fans in any sport never lose hope.

Oh I lost hope. But it was like one of those awful tv shows that is so bad you can't stop watching. 

41 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

This thread has been a good read.

Whilst I live quite a distance away (Northern Ireland) and cant attend games etc in person (but plan to attend many in future years), I'm  not sure I could be much more of a fan.  The Bills consume my thoughts all day every day.  I spend countless hours on this excellent online community, news websites, daily podcasts (shout out to the excellent Joe Marino), online video content etc.  That's every day during the season and in the off season.

I wear Bills gear all the time, but have to constantly explain to people what it is! (Instead of getting a 'Go Bills' as I walk by ... that would be great).

I couldnt fathom missing any portion of a live game. It's happened a few times and the panic it conjures in me surprises me everytime... if it is the fault of my wife it takes all that I have to remain a gentleman!

A fine example of being Bills obsessed occurred this morning... today is the first day of attending a new school for my 11 year old daughter. As she was leaving the house I looked at her and said... "The one thing I want you to do today is go in there and be the best version of yourself" !   I'm surprised I didnt clap over enthusiastically as she walked up the road!

I started supporting the Bills in 1990.  Playing John Madden 90 is the reason for that... using Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith was essentially cheating!  I'm 42 now and seriously looking at planning my later years around being able to attend plenty of games.

Lastly... a massive thank you to the guys that keep this message board alive and to the key contributors such as YOLO... fans like me who live elsewhere feel much closer to the action because of it.

Go Bills.

Let's win the whole thing this year.

Welcome aboard. We, on this side of the pond, are obviously outnumbered by our American friends but we take solace in the fact that we can spell. You must have started young to have followed since 1990 and be 42.... I was at university before I developed into an NFL obsessive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Welcome aboard. We, on this side of the pond, are obviously outnumbered by our American friends but we take solace in the fact that we can spell. You must have started young to have followed since 1990 and be 42.... I was at university before I developed into an NFL obsessive. 

Thanks Gunner.  I've seen you mention North London in a post or 2, can I assume the Gunner part of the name is an Arsenal reference?

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan myself... nothing but misery these days.

1 hour ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Thanks Gunner.  I've seen you mention North London in a post or 2, can I assume the Gunner part of the name is an Arsenal reference?

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan myself... nothing but misery these days.

Yes it is. And we have our own misery to deal with haha. I have been a Bills fan since 02 and I used to support one really well run and well coached sports team that won and one dysfunctional basket case that didn't. I still do. It is just that they have flipped roles. 

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes it is. And we have our own misery to deal with haha. I have been a Bills fan since 02 and I used to support one really well run and well coached sports team that won and one dysfunctional basket case that didn't. I still do. It is just that they have flipped roles. 

It's a similar story with the Bills and Rovers for me funny enough.  The sporting gods would never let us have 2 successful and well run teams to enjoy. 😀

Seriously, I don't know that there is an average fan.  Does the average fan drink during the game?  How much?  How old is he?  Or is it a she?  Was the average fan involved in sports as a youth?  Is the average fan politically inclined?  Conservative or liberal?  Does the average fan yell and scream at what is happening on the field?  Does the average fan get to most of the games?  Probably not since there are likely many more Bills fans than can fit in Highmark Stadium.  For myself, I'm older, never played high school sports, have only attended a handful of games over my lifetime, and I don't drink a drop of beer, wine, or liquor.  I am mostly quiet during games.  I am somewhat politically astute, but not all that passionate about politics, and relatively moderate in my thinking.  I certainly don't think of myself as an average fan.

I don’t know if I’m average but I’m ultimately just another 🤣.

Kidding aside I’d say I’m something of an average fan.  My main motivation for reading and joining the boards is because it’s rare I come across Buffalo fans to talk too in my day to day life.  I’d be good for one game a year to attend if I lived more local I’d say.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I lost hope. But it was like one of those awful tv shows that is so bad you can't stop watching. 

Peterman got started so early in the game that I actually missed the first INT. After that, when I turned it on, it was must-see TV.

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That is the edge of the Demographic, but acceptable. :rolleyes:

There's some LOL funny stuff on this forum!

Being able to name players and theirs stats is a personal quality and a poor measure of fandomness.

I don't have that personal quality of being up to date on every player's micro-detail, I am awed by those that do. But I have the macro-details of the Bills locked down. I have a MS degree in Organizational Development and it has helped me immensely in enjoying the Bills, especially these current Bills.. they are an exemplar organization.

Be careful how you define average. If you decided furniture shopping was our Sunday, you'll be in for fisticuffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boater said:

Being able to name players and theirs stats is a personal quality and a poor measure of fandomness.

I don't have that personal quality of being up to date on every player's micro-detail, I am awed by those that do. But I have the macro-details of the Bills locked down. I have a MS degree in Organizational Development and it has helped me immensely in enjoying the Bills, especially these current Bills.. they are an exemplar organization.

Be careful how you define average. If you decided furniture shopping was our Sunday, you'll be in for fisticuffs.

Interesting.  I've learned a lot but organizational development watching McDermott and Beane.  It's  great that they've explained themselves so well.  

On 8/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Shaw66 said:

I’m guessing there are plenty of average Bills fans in Buffalo, people who care a lot about the team and care whether they win, people who watch most of the games, but they will miss a game here or there because the wife wants to shop for furniture.  People who don’t pay a whole lot of attention to the details.  People who can’t name the entire offensive line, let alone the backups.  People who if pressed can name only a half dozen players on the team. 

If my wife tries to force me to go shopping for furniture on game day, she'll be picking out a couch for her new place.

I'm kidding... Really, I am.

My simple measure of a serious fan is someone who can name all the starters, can name at least some of the balance of the roster, and knows the back story of many of the players.  That is, a serious fan knows more about Josh than he grew up on a farm in California.  

I dont agree with this assessment.

Not sure I can remember the name of every single starter if you put me on the spot with a pop quiz, let alone many of their back stories, but I hardly ever miss a game, read every bit of insight I can, attend at least one game a year, am in tune with their strengths and weaknesses, am genuinely interested in offensive and defensive schemes, am emotionally affected, and love the team.

I actually have to force myself to take a break from news consumption and this board 😵💫

I consider myself a serious fan.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:54 PM, boater said:

My cousin helps me keep all the names and details memorized on the D side of things. Always been a bigger fan of the QB and O. So yes, measuring my fandom by my memory of every player/detail is a hard criteria for some to meet. I'm a die hard Bills fan. Born in Buffalo and been cheering them on since the days of number 32. My biggest childhood hero...  

Those consecutive 2-14 seasons, I watched games til the clock read 0:00. My brothers thought I was crazy. I cried when OJ was traded. Moved to Florida after the 2nd SB loss and I told anyone who would listen, " we're back for our 4th, like or not. Suck it!" Am I average,"special" or Dopey?