Around the League Preseason Games Thread

LeGOATski

21 minutes ago, eball said:

When, just when, are people going to learn that you can't predict regular season QB play from what happens in the preseason?

A guy who looks good in pre-season can then look bad in the season, but it never works the other way around. You never see a QB who struggles in pre-season suddenly look good when the lights come on. Often you see a guy look bad and fans say "oh he doesn't have his first choice line or he doesn't have his first choice receivers" but when a QB sucks in the pre-season he is gonna suck in the regular season too. So while fans do get overexcited when a Mitch Trubisky or a Tua looks good in a pre-season game it is mainly just because it means there is still some hope for them. If they suck in pre-season you are done. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A guy who looks good in pre-season can then look bad in the season, but it never works the other way around. You never see a QB who struggles in pre-season suddenly look good when the lights come on. Often you see a guy look bad and fans say "oh he doesn't have his first choice line or he doesn't have his first choice receivers" but when a QB sucks in the pre-season he is gonna suck in the regular season too. So while fans do get overexcited when a Mitch Trubisky or a Tua looks good in a pre-season game it is mainly just because it means there is still some hope for them. If they suck in pre-season you are done. 

Yeah, I guess I just took for granted that people weren't predicting a QB who looks like poop in PS will suddenly turn it on in the RS.  I'm really referring not to Trubisky but to Wilson, Tua, and Mac Jones -- and fans of those teams who are predicting greatness.  Wilson's PS numbers look amazing, but they are a predictor of absolutely nothing when the real lights come on.

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I guess I just took for granted that people weren't predicting a QB who looks like poop in PS will suddenly turn it on in the RS.  I'm really referring not to Trubisky but to Wilson, Tua, and Mac Jones -- and fans of those teams who are predicting greatness.  Wilson's PS numbers look amazing, but they are a predictor of absolutely nothing when the real lights come on.

It applies equally to Trubisky though. I have said elsewhere I still think he's be the best QB on the Bears at present but if Saturday was a true reflection on who Trubisky is as a QB he would not be here as our backup. Some of the talk here about whether you could trade him for a first round pick since Saturday has been a little nuts. I think Mitch is a very talented guy compared to other backups in the league but if Saturday was the norm he'd still be a starter. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone watching Steelers - Panthers? Scouting our upcoming opponent, and upcoming signees 😜

Yep.  Although a good chunk of the Steelers D isn't playing, same on offense.

Listening to Steve Smith is GRATING

Edited by wjag

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone watching Steelers - Panthers? Scouting our upcoming opponent, and upcoming signees 😜

Yes.  Go after Justin Layne or Pierre outside, and whoever wins their nickle corner spot.  We have a distinct advantage there, and expect them to run a lot of dime/blitzing like they did 1st half last year.

I'd expect us to try testing their new/young oline by lining up with alot of "sugar" looks and safety/nickle blitzes.

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Yep.  Although a good chunk of the Steelers D isn't playing, same on offense.

Agree.  Expect Watt gets his record breaking deal done after this weekend.  But every day that passes, looking more likely Tuitt misses week 1 or longer.  Big loss for their dline, he had 10 sacks last yr

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Agree.  Expect Watt gets his record breaking deal done after this weekend.  But every day that passes, looking more likely Tuitt misses week 1 or longer.  Big loss for their dline, he had 10 sacks last yr

And Dupree is in Tennesssee..  Will be interesting to see what their pash rush looks like.

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

My um...service...I use to watch games is for some reason only showing the Colts-Lions game, I guess they're just phoning it in waiting for the regular season to start already.  Would rather watch the Chiefs or something...

Trust me you don’t want the homer chefs broadcast 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

My um...service...I use to watch games is for some reason only showing the Colts-Lions game, I guess they're just phoning it in waiting for the regular season to start already.  Would rather watch the Chiefs or something...

The Lions appear to be pounding the Colts.  What do the lineups look like?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Muted while I have the Blue Jays game up on my main monitor.

Just now, jkeerie said:

The Lions appear to be pounding the Colts.  What do the lineups look like?

Basically all backups.  I wouldn't really call it a pounding, more like sucking less with their defense.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just switched to the CFL game...Hamilton at Montreal.  At least it's competitive.  I'll be watching the Yankees at Oakland at 9:30.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Grudgingly giving Darnold some props.

I'd love to see him succeed since Jets fans are wishing him the worst.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

Not new, just needed to be reiterated.

I hear ya.  Vikings are going nowhere with him.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vikes player just did a sack dance after taking down Shane Bu Chee Lee

They have little else to celebrate.

Now the two minute warning.  They're warning viewers there's another half to this snoozer.

• Like (+1) 1