Base for Edmunds extension? D Leonard signs 5 years 99 million

DJB

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you have been bickering against the narrative that Edmunds isn't playing up to expectations/potential.........or making excuses for why he hasn't........but still don't think he deserves $20M/yr for his age 24-28 seasons.........there's your sign that you have been wrong all along.

This is the new market rate for a top, young veteran MLB.

Edmunds is definitely not a top, young MLB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is almost 3 years younger.  He wil get similar money from Buffalo or more on the open market.  I dont know what some expect.  If you have a guy who is top 5 in there position they are going to get market value.  Now I expect Beane to take a wait and see approach with Edmunds.  If he makes some impact plays (ie catching the ball when it comes to him)  I think they pay him aswell.  Last season the defense went as he went.  After he got closer to 100% he played better and the defense played better.  Allen and Edmunds are the precieved pillars of the franchise.  Allen is set in stone now.  Its up to Edmunds to earn the same status.

I also doubt people follow Leonard and the Colts as much as Edmunds and the Bills.  Leonard is undersized he played last year around 215.  He has made a handful of splash plays Edmunds has dropped.  I think with a deeper look and his weaknesses are not to differant than Edmunds.  Imo Edmunds is in position to have an incredible year.  He has all the tools just needs to take over some games now. Some picks, some forced fumbles, and some sacks.  He has flashed all of those as a young player.  Put it all together and he can be a beast.

Edmunds isn’t even in the top 3 of Bills’ MLBs of all time. For what he gave up for him so far he’s been a borderline bust in my opinion. To earn that money, he needs more turnovers and game changing TFLs & sacks. Him & Oliver have been huge disappointments in my eyes. I don’t care what PFF has to say, I watched every game he’s played in. Like most people pointed out, he needs to have a big year and I think he does. The potential is there, but SO FAR he doesn’t deserve it. Change my mind…

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - and this was why in the Who’s next thread - I said he needed to be next - before this contract came out.

Mike from SPOTRAC mentioned that before Darius signs - you have a shot at Edmunds at 12-13 million AAV, but if Darius gets 20+ million as he thought - Edmunds immediately jumps to 17-18 million AAV and probably out of the prices range they can slot in.

Wasn’t this already decided when Warner signed?  How does Darius change things?  The second Warner signed, Darius’ floor was set.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I just don’t understand the edmunds hate around here. The guy is respected by coaches and peers alike. He is also yet to hit his ceiling. 

In my opinion,  it's not hate towards Edmunds, it's disappointment.  He hasnt progressed fast enough into the game changing LB we all hoped he would be. He's a solid player,  but i was expecting greatness based on his physical traits and hype. I haven't caught a glimpse of him being great yet except for maybe 1 game out of 3 seasons. Maybe this is the year it all comes together. If not, i don't see him here after the option year. 

As many said, Edmunds hasn't produced like Leonard to this point. Potential is there and we have him locked up through next season.  It makes sense for both sides to play this year out and then see what happens.  

As much debated, many think he's run of the mill.  While others, like myself, think he is already top 3 in AFC and potential to be the best.

Many factors last year, injuries and overall poorer play up front. I'm thinking he will good for 2-3 Ints, 3 sacks and a couple FFs and recoveries this season.  That's the bar I'm hoping he hits and consider that top level play, in terms of impact plays