Bass-o-Matic -- 5 for 5 on field goals yesterday

Tyler Bass opened camp strong yesterday going 5 for 5 on field goals including a 48 yarder.

Bass had a strong rookie season finishing 10th in the NFL among kickers in extra point percentage at 95.38%.   He finished tied for 10th in the NFL in field goal completion percentage a 82.4%.  He was 4 of 6 on field goals beyond 50 yards and had a season long 58 yarder.   He did all this while playing in what is likely the most difficult kicking venue in the entire League.

He showed he has the leg to make attempts beyond 60 yards and I don't think the BIlls would hesitate to run him out there for a 60+ yarder if the game script was right.  He has a howitzer of a leg.  He can boom the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs everytime if that's what the coach wants, negating an opposing teams kick return game if needed. He has earned the confidence of the coaching staff as a rookie kicker.  No small feat.

He was also money in the playoffs when the pressure was greatest.  In the Colts game he was 2 for 2 with field goals of 46 and 54 yards, and 3 for 3 on extra points.  In the Ravens' Divisional Hurricane Bowl he was 1 for 3 on field goals, the same as Justin Tucker, and 2 of 2 on extra points.  In the AFC Championship game he was 4 for 4 on field goals including two 51 yarders, but did have a rare extra point miss on his only attempt.  Looking back on last year's playoff run, it's clear the moment wasn't too big for Bass when he was called on to make the most important kicks of the season.

In a draft class that is full of potential with Gabe Davis, A.J. Epenesa,  Zack Moss and Dane Jackson, we might look back years from now and find that the Bills' 6th round selection; Tyler Bass, Kicker, Georgia Southern -- was the best pick of the Bills' draft class.

I'm not ready to say the Bills have found their Justin Tucker just yet, but it sure looks promising.  An accurate and reliable kicker is absolutely essential for an NFL franchise to have sustained success.  Let's hope that Beane has finally found that kicker for the Bills over the next decade in Tyler Bass.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Bass threads seem to be the rage these days.

I'm glad he did so well last year and certainly hope he keeps it up again this season since I think we're going to need a reliable leg!!  Don't think he's the best pick from that class, but we shall see....

the kid won us the Colts game and likewise made big kicks on the road on grass in AZ, a great pick and excellent rook season.

this season improvements:  better between 40-49,  adjusting to the stress of crowd noise, and more experience kicking during the gusty WNY winds of Nov-Dec-Jan

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

the kid won us the Colts game and likewise made big kicks on the road on grass in AZ, a great pick and excellent rook season.

this season improvements:  better between 40-49,  adjusting to the stress of crowd noise, and more experience kicking during the gusty WNY winds of Nov-Dec-Jan

Yep for sure.

That AZ kick was incredible, if we didnt have Bass I dont think they even think of kicking that FG, probably would have resorted to a hail Mary.

Josh Allen is not going to be so easy to bark out orders and make -pre-snap adjustments, last year was made for offense as a result I dont expect to have as incredible an offense as we had last year.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Game ball Ronnie bass

SUNSHINE!  A little Soul Power.  Listen baby….

Still up there as the best football movie ever.

Almost as good as…

Chiefs, you remember forever the night they play the Bills!

As an aside, with that leg, I can see him hitting in good conditions one in the 60’s.  Love that guy.  He developed a few games in ice in the veins.

I wonder if Josh was talking to him as no one was under more pressure last year.  Man we have a good team.