Finally! A Buffalo Bills game that pre-dates ME! ‘47 Bills vs. Browns

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hopefully @KRC can tell us our uniform colors. Light blue & Silver??

I like the music, but I have to wonder if you are not the ref/mod crossing behind the goalposts? Once a rule keeper…..

It’s OK, we won’t judge if this came from the family archives. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The Browns were one of a small handful of teams the NFL gave franchises too from the AAFC (All-American Football Conference) in ‘50. They then proceeded to tear up the Big League, going to 10 title games, showing yet again, the NFL didn’t have the market on marquee players even then.

Was the score 6-9 Browns? 

😁👍

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Surprised how much they passed the ball.  Mostly screen passes and quick hitters over the middle, but outside of that it surprisingly resembled modern football.  Put on a tape of NBA basketball at the same time, and it doesn’t even look like the same game.  

That’s ‘Automatic Otto’ Graham @ QB. Again, when the NFL raided the AAFC, the Browns, Colts and Rams joined the League and everyone else was unemployed. The Browns -with Otto- tore up the NFL for the next decade!

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hopefully @KRC can tell us our uniform colors. Light blue & Silver??

Thanks, I had no idea "same old Bills" went back that far!

Crazy how much faster the game has become.  Today even Otto Graham would get yanked after a couple downs throwing that slow.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Browns were one of a small handful of teams the NFL gave franchises too from the AAFC (All-American Football Conference) in ‘50. They then proceeded to tear up the Big League, going to 10 title games, showing yet again, the NFL didn’t have the market on marquee players even then.

Kind of interesting when you read about the AAFC, 3  teams went to the NFL, Cleveland the most famous but believe also Baltimore and San Fran and the LA team merged with the LA Rams of the NFL.  Buffalo almost made it instead of Baltimore, but the size of the city and the weather worked against them *sounds familiar)  in deciding.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Whippersnapper!

F7355B93-2482-49FA-808B-248E9CD88CD6.jpegba

I'm a little surprised to see my picture. I actually went to that game when I was 11 and have been a lifelong BBFS member since .that time. I know we lost, I think 28-7. Browns had a lot of great players besides Graham and Motley. Dante Lavelli and Lou the toe Groza were others I remember. I was bitterly disappointed when the AAFC folded and the Bills didn't get in the NFL. The excuse from Bert Bell the commissioner was "scheduling difficulties". I think I may have been 13 or so at the time but I made up a schedule for the whole new league including the Bills and sent it to him, but of course never heard back.

One other historical note that may be of interest that in 1965 ( I think) I was a radiology resident living in Boston when the Bills had a big game against the Patsies. We couldn't afford tickets but I wrote a letter to Ralph begging his help and he sent us two free tickets! Of course, we lost that game too!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dock581 said:

I'm a little surprised to see my picture. I actually went to that game when I was 11 and have been a lifelong BBFS member since .that time. I know we lost, I think 28-7. Browns had a lot of great players besides Graham and Motley. Dante Lavelli and Lou the toe Groza were others I remember. I was bitterly disappointed when the AAFC folded and the Bills didn't get in the NFL. The excuse from Bert Bell the commissioner was "scheduling difficulties". I think I may have been 13 or so at the time but I made up a schedule for the whole new league including the Bills and sent it to him, but of course never heard back.

One other historical note that may be of interest that in 1965 ( I think) I was a radiology resident living in Boston when the Bills had a big game against the Patsies. We couldn't afford tickets but I wrote a letter to Ralph begging his help and he sent us two free tickets! Of course, we lost that game too!

Hi! Welcome! Please post more. Would love to hear more of your stories!👍

Chandler, thanks a lot for posting! While watching that, I wondered if there is anybody on the message board that watched the very first

Bills game at the Rock Pile in that 1960 season? Who was our qb? Who was our coach? How was the experience?

The first Bills game I went to was in 1965. The Broncos I think. I did see Namath play at the Rock Pile in Sept. '67. A Bills win by the way.

Anyway, thanks again Chandler.

• Like (+1) 1

Check out the Bills pass play and LATERAL that happened at about the 5 minute mark!  Allen must be studying old Bills game tape. 

When Allen lateraled the ball in the playoff game against the Texans I defended him because as recently as the late 60's/early 70's that was a common play in the NFL.  And it had the potential to make big plays.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1