EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

IMO 65K-72K is probably the sweet spot.  60K seems pretty small.

The good news is, maybe it can be a fairly intimate venue for the 60K fans in attendance.  

It also means the tickets will be more exclusive, less supply = much more expensive

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Process said:

I can not, for the life of me, wrap my head around an open air, 60,000 capacity stadium in Orchard Park NY costing $1.4B. 

Makes absolutely zero sense. 

When you add in Design...  Think MIA stadium, if you are going to protect the 60,000 from the elements, while it is open air it is going to look alot like MIA and Dallas

Just now, May Day 10 said:

The good news is, maybe it can be a fairly intimate venue for the 60K fans in attendance.  

It also means the tickets will be more exclusive, less supply = much more expensive

Yep easiest way to raise prices, lower supply

Just now, May Day 10 said:

Would be nice to go to a game and just sit in a nice soft seat away from elements and loud nosies and just enjoy.

And less people!  Less drunks…less nonsense…less traffic!

😍😍😍

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

When you add in Design...  Think MIA stadium, if you are going to protect the 60,000 from the elements, while it is open air it is going to look alot like MIA and Dallas

State of the art, glass domed stadium with higher capacity in the middle of downtown Minneapolis cost $1.1B just a few years ago.

Again it makes absolutely no sense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

State of the art, glass domed stadium with higher capacity in the middle of downtown Minneapolis cost $1.1B just a few years ago.

And a few years later that grew up to 1.9B.  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Think Seattle 

Yep.  It will cover all fans, will have noise designed in and will have all new game day experience perks IMO.  Probably alot of tech as well.  

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

60,000 Seat Stadium per AP exclusive

Some Highlights:

"The new venue would not include a roof, but it would be designed so that a majority of the seats would be protected from the elements, the person said."

"The team initially considered a larger stadium with a price-tag of $1.6 billion before making a decision to shrink the project, the person said."

"As part of a PSE-funded study launched in 2018, the team conducted an extensive analysis focusing on three potential stadium sites in and around Buffalo before opting to propose building the facility on a team-controlled parking lot across the street from its current home."

"The two other locations considered were on the University at Buffalo campus north of the city, and a downtown site on the land where the abandoned Perry Projects sit empty. The projected cost of a downtown stadium came to $1.9 billion, not including necessary infrastructure upgrades, the person said."

I love this idea, plus the article did state that Hochoul is working hard in the negotiations and that she’s making sure the Bills stay here for a long time and that she’s a hardcore Bills fan. I think this deal gets approved. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

You’re talking NY prices, union contracts 💰, and the ridiculous inflation just in the last few months.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I love this idea, plus the article did state that Hochoul is working hard in the negotiations and that she’s making sure the Bills stay here for a long time and that she’s a hardcore Bills fan. I think this deal gets approved. 

It definitely helps that the most powerful person in NY is on the Bills side. It reminds me of when the Isles new owners got Cuomo on board with the new arena. He helped get the thru all the political BS to get shovels in the ground ASAP. This year the Isles start play at UBS arena in Belmont this fall. Lets hope Hochoul can do the same for the Bills.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills have had a tough time selling out late season and or bad weather games even when they were good. We just forget because of the black out rules. 

60k is probably a projection on historical capacity for the Ralph in inclement weather and what they anticipate ticket value being with lesser supply during the early parts of the season.

I dislike it as a fan but probably a good business decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Also thinking about the line protecting people from elements.   

COLD is an element - Could we see Heated Seats????

Doubtful. The seats they had in the clubs broke down pretty quick and they went to overhead warmers. Would be a huge hassle and cost to maintain. But maybe that is where the $1.4B for an open air stadium comes from.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I also do think the League will try and see if they could get the Bills to go up to about 65,000 that is the AVG of the league.  So that would make about Sense.  And Bills leverage for a SB, if you want more seating 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

60,000 seats and another 3,000 or so inside suites seems about right for Buffalo.

The new stadium will price out some lower income fans and that's just what it is.

60 suites is like half of the average number of suites at NFL stadiums stated in this article for anyone interested.

https://alsd.com/content/premium-seat-industry-reference-points

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Doubtful. The seats they had in the clubs broke down pretty quick and they went to overhead warmers. Would be a huge hassle and cost to maintain. But maybe that is where the $1.1B for an open air stadium comes from.

Well there is a lot of new technology out there that they could leverage as well.

Add in charging stations at each seat.  etc etc. There is alot of new tech for in game experience that can be built into the stadium leading to that price tag as well.  They really didnt get into the perks of the design in the article 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I also do think the League will try and see if they could get the Bills to go up to about 65,000 that is the AVG of the league.  So that would make about Sense.  And Bills leverage for a SB, if you want more seating 

Agreed in general, but no way do we ever get a SB with an open-air stadium. Never gonna happen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed in general, but no way do we ever get a SB with an open-air stadium. Never gonna happen.

Why NY got one.  I think it is very easy to get one, specially if the fans are protected.  But if I am the Bills that is the only way I am letting the league have any major influence in my seating capacity 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well there is a lot of new technology out there that they could leverage as well.

Add in charging stations at each seat.  etc etc. There is alot of new tech for in game experience that can be built into the stadium leading to that price tag as well.  They really didnt get into the perks of the design in the article 

It will be interesting because the 2 new enclosed stadiums in LA and LV used the roof space to get new gen WiFi across the stadium as a major enhancement.

I think open air limits some of this - like built in charging stations will not stand up to the weather.

I don’t mind 60,000 fans, but I think many people loving open air and orchard park are not going to be happy with the final product as prices go up and PSL hit more seats.  I expect them to do more integrated tickets and parking packs to limit off street parking and bring more income.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

It will be interesting because the 2 new enclosed stadiums in LA and LV used the roof space to get new gen WiFi across the stadium as a major enhancement.

I think open air limits some of this - like built in charging stations will not stand up to the weather. 

I don’t mind 60,000 fans, but I think many people loving open air and orchard park are not going to be happy with the final product as prices go up and PSL hit more seats.  I expect them to do more integrated tickets and parking packs to limit off street parking and bring more income.

I hear you I would have rather been a complete Dome, However as long as the seats are protected from the elements with the overhangs and roofing, I think all the tech will easily be protected. 

I am fine with PSLs as well, just let me know what my price is and I will send the payment

On 8/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Sounds like our headache is over. Team isnt going anywhere, confirmed over and over. Nothing left for us to worry about.

I'm worried sick you're part of the St Louis cabal looking to lure the Bills away. That you joined the board in 2005 is very suspicious.  I saw "War of the Worlds"--you should just change your name to DrPlayingTheLongGame. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why NY got one.  I think it is very easy to get one, specially if the fans are protected.  But if I am the Bills that is the only way I am letting the league have any major influence in my seating capacity 

You will NEVER see a SB in Buffalo in mid-February in an open air stadium.  
There is no debate, no possibility, zero, zilch, nada, NFW, etc... 😂

Edited by BTB
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'm worried sick you're part of the St Louis cabal looking to lure the Bills away. That you joined the board in 2005 is very suspicious.  I saw "War of the Worlds"--you should just change your name to DrPlayingTheLongGame. 

Y'all love your conspiracy theories, thats for sure 🤣🤣

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BTB said:

You will NEVER SEE a SB in Buffalo in mid-February in an open air stadium.  
There is no debate, no possibility, zero, zilch, nada, NFW, etc... 😂

Then the NFL doesnt increase my seating size.  No Debate, No Possibility, zero, zilch, nada, NFW, etc.....  😁

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I hear you I would have rather been a complete Dome, However as long as the seats are protected from the elements with the overhangs and roofing, I think all the tech will easily be protected. 

I am fine with PSLs as well, just let me know what my price is and I will send the payment

It might be, but the cold I think is a bigger impact than the weather.  

I think the overhangs can protect the fans, but the seats will be exposed to sub freezing temperatures when ever the stadium isn’t in use.  Any exposed charging plugs will not hold up in that type of temperatures.

Most of the excellent new technology would be best protected in an enclosed space.  

I will be very interested to see the final product and the final designs and how it all plays out in the end.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Never knowing which way the wind will blow, and how strong the winds will be, there is no way to protect the majority of the seats from the elements.  Some of them, maybe.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

It might be, but the cold I think is a bigger impact than the weather.  

I think the overhangs can protect the fans, but the seats will be exposed to sub freezing temperatures when ever the stadium isn’t in use.  Any exposed charging plugs will not hold up in that type of temperatures.

Most of the excellent new technology would be best protected in an enclosed space.  

I will be very interested to see the final product and the final designs and how it all plays out in the end.

True But the Tech is there, I just fielded an extreme cold power Box to the military.  includes alot of charging capability from tactical to the normal USB ports, there are ways to protect that stuff from the extreme cold without having an active heating system on it, tested in in Alaska no failures.  

I wish the article did get into those more, I really want to know the perks that will go into this stadium, not just seating size.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

True But the Tech is there, I just fielded an extreme cold power Box to the military.  includes alot of charging capability from tactical to the normal USB ports, there are ways to protect that stuff from the extreme cold without having an active heating system on it, tested in in Alaska no failures.  

I wish the article did get into those more, I really want to know the perks that will go into this stadium, not just seating size.

I totally hear you - that will definitely add to the cost, but might be why the price tag is where it is.