Not Sure We Will Repeat as AFCE Champs

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I’m usually not a Negative Nancy but today let me be that guy.

The AFCE will be harder this year.  The Pats, Phins, and Jets all got better while the Bills got worse.

Pats.  They didn’t resolve the signal caller issue but Bill’s epic spending spree improved the rest of the roster.

Phins.  Tua – who Fitz seems to love – should be better his sophomore year.   To help, they went out and got Will Fuller.

Jets.  While they picked up a couple nice free agents defensive linemen, the best thing the Jets did this offseason was change out their entire coaching staff. 

The Bills were an interesting team last year.  Despite the 13-3 record and AFC Championship game appearance, our guys only excelled in two areas: special teams and passing the ball.   Unfortunately, our ST unit lost its two best players: Roberts & Bojorquez. 

While there were moments of excellence, no level of our D was consistently good.  And our offensive running attack was putrid.  None of those shortcomings have been addressed so far.

Beane did a nice job retaining our offensive linemen.  Sadly, though, they’re just not that good.  They don’t open holes in the running game.  And Daboll has to use TEs and RBs to help with pass pro.  Even with that help, we couldn’t protect Josh in KC. 

While the rest of the AFCE stepped up, we stood still at best and probably stepped back. 

Fingers crossed –free agency isn’t over and we still have the draft. 

You realize we absolutely destroyed these teams in the second half of the season.  Like, it wasn’t even a contest and we were straight toying with them by halftime. 

38 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The AFCE will be harder this year.  The Pats, Phins, and Jets all got better while the Bills got worse.

Pats.  They didn’t resolve the signal caller issue but Bill’s epic spending spree improved the rest of the roster.

Phins.  Tua – who Fitz seems to love – should be better his sophomore year.   To help, they went out and got Will Fuller.

Jets.  While they picked up a couple nice free agents defensive linemen, the best thing the Jets did this offseason was change out their entire coaching staff. 

The Bills were an interesting team last year.  Despite the 13-3 record and AFC Championship game appearance, our guys only excelled in two areas: special teams and passing the ball.   Unfortunately, our ST unit lost its two best players: Roberts & Bojorquez. 

While there were moments of excellence, no level of our D was consistently good.  And our offensive running attack was putrid.  None of those shortcomings have been addressed so far.

Beane did a nice job retaining our offensive linemen.  Sadly, though, they’re just not that good.  They don’t open holes in the running game.  And Daboll has to use TEs and RBs to help with pass pro.  Even with that help, we couldn’t protect Josh in KC. 

While the rest of the AFCE stepped up, we stood still at best and probably stepped back. 

ImpossibleUntimelyAlbacoretuna-size_rest

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You realize we absolutely destroyed these teams in the second half of the season.  Like, it wasn’t even a contest and we were straight toying with them by halftime. 

But, but, but Tua has Will Fuller now... Belichick spent $25M/year on a pair of TE who haven’t even combined for 1000 yards in a  season... and we didn’t score a touchdown against the Jets the second time we played. 

We are doomed. 😢

Edited by JGMcD2

I don't see how the Bills got worse.  They are still missing an edge rusher and I don't see one coming, but other than that I find it hard to believe that someone can look at this roster and say they got worse.  To be honest I don't get all the love Flores gets in Miami either.  Yes, he had a much better than expected first season, but that team had absolutely no fight in them at all the last game of the season when they were playing for the playoffs and the Bills had nothing to play for.  None of those other teams in the division have a QB, they all have marginal talent at WR, I don't believe there is a running back to be afraid of...not sure what makes any of those teams a division winner.  Sure, the Pats spent a lot of money, but did they get any better on offense?  OP, I appreciate you having the balls to put this thread out there, I just don't see how you came to the conclusion you did

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Check out Joe Marinos pod today.  I think he said 38 reasons why we could get better and 7 we might regress.

I considered creating a thread for this podcast because it was really well done, but this thread will work. Here is a link for those that want to hear it:

FWIW Joe isn't a homer. He stays objective when discussing the Bills. His take is that modest improvements from each of our young players returning to the same system will make a big difference.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I feel your hurt. The Bills have to fix the defensive interior to make me feel confident. 

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Bill tossing his phone on the sidelines during that MNF game was a highlight for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The one area of concern for me is our run defense.  Although we were ranked 10th in the league with 103 yds/gm against when Star was in the lineup for the 2019 season, there is no guarantee we will be back to that level upon his return.  And it looks like the Paytoilets are retooling their offense to be a two TE, run first type so we better be ready.

Hondo buddy.  Never fear Allen is here.  We’ll be fine pal.  We have a defense that was twice as good in the second half than the first this year.  You can’t evaluate a team on the KC game when all of you’re four WR’s were hurt.

we had the #2 offense.  We extended needed people.  A lot of people wanted a big splash, but that was Diggs last year.  Let’s get through the draft bud and then take a breath.  I’ve always enjoyed you’re takes so four seconds in, four seconds out on breaths.

If Allen tears an ACL, yeah panicked time.  Now, not so much.

I am not so certain that Cam is quite a terrible as everyone is making him out to be.  Truth - at times he does sux it.  At times he can ball.  That first game was a fortunate play by the D at the end to win that game.  Second game didn't even count.

Bottom line?  Bills are the team to beat in the AFCE.  Somebody needs a bit more loving.....

Bills only are getting started...Bills got worse based on what exactly?  

The draft hasn't happened yet, so we have no idea who they will be getting.  If we get Etienne we will be almost unstoppable on offense.

49 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

56 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Jets- Can be a prb in a couple yrs . Salah will have these guys playing hard and they got some nice pieces to build with moving forward . If they take Wilson they can be a serious contender in near future.

Dolphins- All depends on how they develop Tua and if they hit on these pks they got this yr. 

Pat's- Can't rule out Belicheck but I can't respect them until they get a QB. But if they do there gonna be very hard to beat. 

All in all this division will be tough to win by 2022 but until then the Bills should win the East easily.  Now the AFC that's a different story unless we get massive growth from some of our young players mainly Oliver, Edmunds, Epenesa , Knox & Ford plus we find us a back in the draft . I don't see us winning the Conference without these guys really stepping up .