Not Sure We Will Repeat as AFCE Champs

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

But, but, but Tua has Will Fuller now... Belichick spent $25M/year on a pair of TE who haven’t even combined for 1000 yards in a  season... and we didn’t score a touchdown against the Jets the second time we played. 

We are doomed. 😢

I love the way you guys overdramatize.  I never said we were doomed.  I did say I had concerns.  

The Bills had the 3rd best passing attack in the NFL last year.  It was a thing of beauty.

We had the 21st best running attack.  It was not a thing of beauty.  Our RBs were not effective.  

Our pass D finished the season ranked 13th - mediocre

Our run D finished 17th - mediocre.    

According to Gosselin's formula, our ST finished 8th - good.

I stand by what I said originally:  we were good passing the ball and on special teams.  Everything else was blah.  Without Bojo and Roberts, I'm afraid special teams becomes blah too. 

Which means the fate of the season rests on Josh's arm because our blah defense and blah running attack isn't going to produce a lot of Ws.   

Our cap situation being what it is, Beane had to scramble just to hold on to our own FAs and wasn't able to upgrade the blah areas.  

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I am not so certain that Cam is quite a terrible as everyone is making him out to be.  Truth - at times he does sux it.  At times he can ball.  That first game was a fortunate play by the D at the end to win that game.  Second game didn't even count.

Bottom line?  Bills are the team to beat in the AFCE.  Somebody needs a bit more loving.....

He really is that bad. His play was dreadful.

Somebody isn’t looking at the whole picture!!! Somebody isn’t taking into account that a big chunk of our D was injured/out for a large part of the season, Somebody isn’t taking into account that our O and O line had injured players throughout a large chunk of the regular and post seasons..., these things had direct effect on the teams performance as we all saw, BUT! Wait for it..., we still went 13-3 and went to the AFCCG with all those things holding us back. Now guess what, those guys aren’t injured and we are firing on all cylinders with a few upgrades to boot, 👍, so get yer self a cold beer, sit out on the porch and revel in the on rushing machine that is the Buffalo Bills, that is already charging into the upcoming season. 

Pats = bad QB

Fins = mediocre QB

Jets = bad/mediocre  QB

Its never easy, but we will win the division again, bank on it! 

Every team, across any sport, which has managed to sustain success has done two things: 1. Retain as much of their talent as possible and 2. Upgrade when possible. There's no cap $ available, prioritizing keeping our own was the right move. Upgrading was not possible this year because of the cap. Inter-division teams are going to make moves every single year, can't worry about the next team. The more pieces they add, in all likelihood, the better for us. It shows they're unstable. That said, relax and enjoy the process

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Please delete this it gives me anxiety. 

JG,  I meant this not for a wish as that is a freakin nightmare, just we are

thr kings now in the East.  This would be a catastrophie that is the only thing to change it.  Josh is a tough cookie and has become very smart not to take the bad hits.  We’ll be ok friend.

Believe me of that horrible thing happened, we’d all be sharing Xanax pills.  It won’t.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:
  • Haack is better at pinning the ball than Bojo is. Bojo has a stronger leg. 
  • Roberts is a big loss in the return game - hopefully McKenzie can fill in nicely.
  • Hollister > Smith, Kroft.
  • Sanders is as good, if not better than Brown

Given all that (and the fact that we're going to add in the draft), I don't think we took a step back. When it comes to NE, MIA, and NYJ, everyone knew they would improve considering they were all in the top 5 in cap space. 

We have Josh Allen and he is only going to keep improving in this offense...

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Our pass D finished the season ranked 13th - mediocre

Our run D finished 17th - mediocre.

We were really bad here early on. You’re not wrong... it was tough to watch the first 8 weeks or so. Coincidentally Edmunds and Milano were hurt during those first 8 weeks... once they healed up for the stretch run... we were just outside the Top 5 defensively. 

I expect another year of continuity helping. I expect Star (yes, he’s overpaid) coming back being a big help solely because DL aren’t playing out of position this year. He’s not an impact player but I think he plays an important role... at some point we can replace him for less... but he’s good at his job. I expect a slightly easier schedule to benefit us as well. 

I expect the confidence and camaraderie from a group that’s pretty much 100% returning to not only help those guys... but usher in a certain expectation for the few new guys and draft picks.  

We’re returning 21/22 starters from the AFC Championship game and the one spot where a starter isn’t returning we arguably upgraded... and still haven’t reached the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I don't see how the Bills got worse.  They are still missing an edge rusher and I don't see one coming, but other than that I find it hard to believe that someone can look at this roster and say they got worse.  To be honest I don't get all the love Flores gets in Miami either.  Yes, he had a much better than expected first season, but that team had absolutely no fight in them at all the last game of the season when they were playing for the playoffs and the Bills had nothing to play for.  None of those other teams in the division have a QB, they all have marginal talent at WR, I don't believe there is a running back to be afraid of...not sure what makes any of those teams a division winner.  Sure, the Pats spent a lot of money, but did they get any better on offense?  OP, I appreciate you having the balls to put this thread out there, I just don't see how you came to the conclusion you did

Obviously, I knew I was going to be attacked.  I was actually hoping for strong counter arguments to make me more optimistic.  

And the best counter-argument is that the other three teams still lack QBs - unless a rookie phenom changes the picture or one of the incumbent QBs makes a surprise improvement.  

Regardless of the QB discussion, I still don't like that - for the most part - we're standing pat.  Picking up a better backup QB is great if Josh goes down, meaningless if he doesn't.  And while I thought a healthy Smoke would be a good compliment to Diggs in 2021, I like the Sanders acquisition.  

But with the rest of the AFCE making bold moves to get better, Beane seems mostly to be content to hold on to what he already has.  When I look at our roster, I hope for more.  We need offensive linemen who can open holes, a legit starting TE, a legit starting RB, an edge rusher, another good CB...    

This team has a lot of solid guys who fight for each other.  We don't have many elite players.  Where we're blessed is that one of our elite players lines up behind center.   

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

But with the rest of the AFCE making bold moves to get better, Beane seems mostly to be content to hold on to what he already has.  When I look at our roster, I hope for more.  We need offensive linemen who can open holes, a legit starting TE, a legit starting RB, an edge rusher, another good CB...    

This team has a lot of solid guys who fight for each other.  We don't have many elite players.  Where we're blessed is that one of our elite players lines up behind center. 

Well let me pose this question... which teams in the AFCE have as much depth as us AND employ more elite players than us? Which teams in the AFCE don’t have holes at certain positions? 

You have to realize these teams are making bold moves to catch us... because they really were not anywhere near us over the course of 16 games. I’m not sure there’s a team with a more complete roster than us... 

Lol, ok I misread title at 1st. Thought it said you didn't think Bills would repeat gettin to AFCCG. That I could get to a certain extent. Will definitely be a tough task. But repeat as division champs.... I know it may be more difficult and all, but I would bet the farm on it that Bills win the division again along with many others. Bills are the clear favorites hands down.

I can easily see them winning AFCE title a whole lot better chance than getting back to the AFCCG. Some teams improve between seasons and some get worse. But Bills will basically have the same players/staff etc as they did at 13-3. Which last season Bills schedule was also considered by many to be a tough one. 

11 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm worried about some things.  this isn't one of them.

Really?  I don't worry about many things in life but I worry about the Bills every year.  If some kind of advanced alien technology allowed us to bring back youthful, fit versions of Smith, OJ, Thurman, Kelly, Tasker, House, Cookie, Reed, DeLam, Biscuit, and so on... I'd still worry about the Bills.  Can they play together?  What will the chemistry be like?   Can McD keep the egos in check and the culture alive?

Edited by hondo in seattle

Did the Patriots really get better? Judon.... is good. Kyle Van Noy is good... Judon was on a better defense last year and we beat that team. Nelson Algohor does NOTHING for me and neither does Bourne. Their 2 TE's...... wellp, they both combined for 1046 last year (or something similar). Their QB is still Cam Newton that threw for 5 TD's last year.

If you're using Will Fuller to say the Dolphins got better... We signed Sanders and have Diggs...... and Josh Allen. I'm not sure Will Fuller equates to the Dolphins having a better off-season than the Bills. 

Finally, are you sure we got worse? Nothing that we've seen in 3 years under McDermott leads me to believe we've gotten worse. Phillips, Oliver, Johnson, Ford, AJ etc. can all take massive leaps this year and that would mean we got exponentially better. 

Edited by warrior9

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Obviously, I knew I was going to be attacked.  I was actually hoping for strong counter arguments to make me more optimistic.  

And the best counter-argument is that the other three teams still lack QBs - unless a rookie phenom changes the picture or one of the incumbent QBs makes a surprise improvement.  

Regardless of the QB discussion, I still don't like that - for the most part - we're standing pat.  Picking up a better backup QB is great if Josh goes down, meaningless if he doesn't.  And while I thought a healthy Smoke would be a good compliment to Diggs in 2021, I like the Sanders acquisition.  

Hey bud, don’t feel attacked.  If I’m part of that for you I’m sorry.  I’m just saying it’s going to be ok, and I don’t care how many weapons they put on Cam, he’s still a 10 year 59% completion guy.  The jets maybe taking a rookie means a learning curve.  Tua people are hard on but he played only half a season.  He stunk, but honestly so did Josh in the beginning.  All good brother. As far as counter opinions we have the second best offense in the NFL and a defense that improved dramatically in the back half of last year.  Not many teams have a too 5 offense and defense.

don’t feel attacked though.  That’s reserved for trolls on the board.  NOT YOU!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Really?  I don't worry about many things in life but I worry about the Bills every year.  If some kind of advanced alien technology allowed us to bring back youthful, fit versions of Smith, OJ, Thurman, Kelly, Tasker, House, Cookie, Reed, DeLam, Biscuit, and so on... I'd still worry about the Bills.  Can they play together?  What will the chemistry be like?   Can McD keep the egos in check and the culture alive?

i'm going to give you some pot.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I’m usually not a Negative Nancy but today let me be that guy.

The AFCE will be harder this year.  The Pats, Phins, and Jets all got better while the Bills got worse.

Pats.  They didn’t resolve the signal caller issue but Bill’s epic spending spree improved the rest of the roster.

Phins.  Tua – who Fitz seems to love – should be better his sophomore year.   To help, they went out and got Will Fuller.

Jets.  While they picked up a couple nice free agents defensive linemen, the best thing the Jets did this offseason was change out their entire coaching staff. 

The Bills were an interesting team last year.  Despite the 13-3 record and AFC Championship game appearance, our guys only excelled in two areas: special teams and passing the ball.   Unfortunately, our ST unit lost its two best players: Roberts & Bojorquez. 

While there were moments of excellence, no level of our D was consistently good.  And our offensive running attack was putrid.  None of those shortcomings have been addressed so far.

Beane did a nice job retaining our offensive linemen.  Sadly, though, they’re just not that good.  They don’t open holes in the running game.  And Daboll has to use TEs and RBs to help with pass pro.  Even with that help, we couldn’t protect Josh in KC. 

While the rest of the AFCE stepped up, we stood still at best and probably stepped back. 

Fingers crossed –free agency isn’t over and we still have the draft. 

I won't dump on you.  That has already been done.

Thanks for the effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Oh, I think we'll win it again convincingly this year. I don't think any of those teams besides the Bills will be contenders this year. But in a couple years things could get interesting.

And how do you figure the Bills got worse? Losing Brown for Sanders is an upgrade. The offensive line is the same and should be better if they stay healthy. The defense is largely the same. How is the team worse?

Edited by MJS

C

3 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Did the Patriots really get better? Judon.... is good. Kyle Van Noy is good... Judon was on a better defense last year and we beat that team.

If you're using Will Fuller to say the Dolphins got better... We signed Sanders and have Diggs...... and Josh Allen. I'm not sure Will Fuller equates to the Dolphins having a better off-season than the Bills. 

Finally, are you sure we got worse? Nothing that we've seen in 3 years under McDermott leads me to believe we've gotten worse. Phillips, Oliver, Johnson, Ford, AJ etc. can all take massive leaps this year and that would mean we got exponentially better. 

Yeah, there's the McDermott factor.  Give this guy lemons and he makes lemonade.  He does seem to have a knack of getting the most out of guys.