Not Sure We Will Repeat as AFCE Champs

I’m usually not a Negative Nancy but today let me be that guy.

The AFCE will be harder this year.  The Pats, Phins, and Jets all got better while the Bills got worse.

Pats.  They didn’t resolve the signal caller issue but Bill’s epic spending spree improved the rest of the roster.

Phins.  Tua – who Fitz seems to love – should be better his sophomore year.   To help, they went out and got Will Fuller.

Jets.  While they picked up a couple nice free agents defensive linemen, the best thing the Jets did this offseason was change out their entire coaching staff. 

The Bills were an interesting team last year.  Despite the 13-3 record and AFC Championship game appearance, our guys only excelled in two areas: special teams and passing the ball.   Unfortunately, our ST unit lost its two best players: Roberts & Bojorquez. 

While there were moments of excellence, no level of our D was consistently good.  And our offensive running attack was putrid.  None of those shortcomings have been addressed so far.

Beane did a nice job retaining our offensive linemen.  Sadly, though, they’re just not that good.  They don’t open holes in the running game.  And Daboll has to use TEs and RBs to help with pass pro.  Even with that help, we couldn’t protect Josh in KC. 

While the rest of the AFCE stepped up, we stood still at best and probably stepped back. 

Fingers crossed –free agency isn’t over and we still have the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 16
  • Eyeroll 14
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Disagree 15
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Dislike 4

The one reason I think this Bills team can have sustained success is the culture. This is a real team. These guys care about one another and they're really all unified in their goal of winning it all. I don't think you can say the same about the other teams. Up in New England they just want machines, not people. Flores is trying to get a culture installed in Miami but he's not helping his players trust him by his back and forth BS last season with Fitz and Tua. And the Jets...as long as Woody Johnson owns that team they're gonna be dumpster turds. 

• Like (+1) 3

Unless Miami trades for Watson the Bills should be the considerable favorites. They will have by far the best QB situation and a strong overall team. The Pats should be improved but without a QB they have massive limitations. The Fins made very little efforts to improve via free agency but they have a ton of draft picks. Once again tough team but without a QB they are limited.

The Jets should be a bit tougher but are just starting a rebuild. Honestly barring a Watson trade I just don’t see any team being able to over come Josh with a solid supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 1

Is this an opinion piece? Looking for some actual facts to support things being said. 

We stood still at best... and those teams who weren’t even close to our level (Over)spent some money... this means we won’t repeat as AFCE champions? 

Our biggest competition last year was Miami and they’ve done what... added a deep threat WR who averages 11 games per year over 4 years for a QB that averaged 6 Y/A... I’m shaking in my boots... especially after they got blown out by Matt Barkley for 2 quarters. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

• Haack is better at pinning the ball than Bojo is. Bojo has a stronger leg. 
  • Roberts is a big loss in the return game - hopefully McKenzie can fill in nicely.
  • Hollister > Smith, Kroft.
  • Sanders is as good, if not better than Brown

Given all that (and the fact that we're going to add in the draft), I don't think we took a step back. When it comes to NE, MIA, and NYJ, everyone knew they would improve considering they were all in the top 5 in cap space. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Buffalo will be favored to win the division. There will surely be a few dumba$$ talking heads who pick the Dolphins or Pats to generate hits, but the vast majority will still pick the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 947 said:

Buffalo will be favored to win the division. There will surely be a few dumba$$ talking heads who pick the Dolphins or Pats to generate hits, but the vast majority will still pick the Bills.

I mean just last year around this time there were talking heads saying that Jarrett Stidham was the best QB in the division. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The Bills did exactly what you would want a division winner to do. They re-signed all of their important free agents, replaced their number two wide receiver with someone who is comparable at worst and most likely an upgrade, and solidified the back-up QB position in case Josh gets injured and misses games.

Plus there is still the draft to come to add further to the roster.

Take a deep breath and relax because the Buffalo Bills will be winning the AFC East for many years to come.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Until I see where we go in the draft I'll hold my judgement.  To me it's not so much what the other teams did but what we did to improve.  The Offense which was pretty stellar last year brought back the whole offensive line with Ford also coming back, switched Emmanuel Sanders for John Brown, switched Jacob Hollister for Tyler Kroft just need the RBs to improve a little.  On Defense Star is coming back to hopefully solidify the middle a little more so if they concentrate on D for the draft will be improved regardless of the other teams in the AFCE

The Bills have consistently been improving for 4 years now.. Why do think that they will decide, "okay this is good enough for us"..?

Truth is, the Bills will be more improved this year thanks to an amazing coaching staff, culture, FAs brought in, upcoming draft, and added year of continuity of players in the system.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I’m usually not a Negative Nancy but today let me be that guy.

The AFCE will be harder this year.  The Pats, Phins, and Jets all got better while the Bills got worse. ...

I can see, if not definitively, why you could say the rest of the teams improved, but I’d like to know specifically what the Bills did to get worse. Especially considering we have the best player at the most important position. By far.

• Like (+1) 2