Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

12 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Why does Doug Whaley get no credit for this draft?  White, Dawkins, and Milano are studs.  He made plenty of mistakes as our GM but I do think he could evaluate college talent.

Biden I mean Beane will be getting the credit for that.  That’s how it works 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I went to Bills website to view their story on Milano

It is so bad that Bills website can create a webpage which quickly serves up ads repeatedly but cannot show videos of the plays as quickly.

Hey, they got Bills to pay ya know... 😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/12/2021 at 10:07 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

No because the way to attack the Chiefs defense is with RB's and TE's. See the Raiders success against them this year as well as the Super Bowl. Tampa Bay WR's were well below their averages in the super bowl while Gronk and Fournette went off.

I wish Buffalo had a Darren Sproles type RB. I think that would add a whole new dimension to their offense. Like Chan Gailey “water bug” guy

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I wish Buffalo had a Darren Sproles type RB. I think that would add a whole new dimension to their offense. Like Chan Gailey “water bug” guy

and how' that work out for us?

LOL  jk

Matt Milano is my new Hero and I want the very best for him 😍

I think Bills will be looking at running back that better compliments Moss. Either a players like you mention? Or a heavier downhill runner who block and pick up a blitz. (Hello Antonio !  )
 But running need to get sorted this season

Defense looks good. Find some up and comers via the draft

Milano is was huge play to keep the band together ! 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

and how' that work out for us?

LOL  jk

Matt Milano is my new Hero and I want the very best for him 😍

I think Bills will be looking at running back that better compliments Moss. Either a players like you mention? Or a heavier downhill runner who block and pick up a blitz. (Hello Antonio !  )
 But running need to get sorted this season

Defense looks good. Find some up and comers via the draft

Milano is was huge play to keep the band together ! 

I agree. People don’t appreciate a guy like Milano until he’s gone. I was watching some film on him and he’s a fast reacting guy, hits the hole hard, and good in coverage. We need to keep the homegrown talent.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If Bills sign a great pass rusher in FA I’d consider CB high in the draft but other than that I’m prioritizing offense for just about all of of the draft.... And maybe another 1T DT somewhere but that’s about it.

I still would follow the premium position model in the draft...........but yeah they should be investing in that offense.........that's where the chips and $ will pay dividends.

They have a TON of money.....and 3 of their first 4 #1 draft picks......tied up in that defense.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I still would follow the premium position model in the draft...........but yeah they should be investing in that offense.........that's where the chips and $ will pay dividends.

They have a TON of money.....and 3 of their first 4 #1 draft picks......tied up in that defense.

Did anyone else catch the presser - it was near the playoffs, but I can't remember exactly where - where Daboll kind of pointedly commented "Josh Allen is the only first round draft pick we have on offense"?  He sounded a wee bit salty about it too.

Some might point out that Diggs, perchance, should be considered as a 1st round draft pick since we gave ours for him

Others might question, if a guy is a "cast off" from another team's 1st round, does he still count as a 1st round pick for us?

But his point remains that we've invested 3 of our own 1st round draftees (White, Edmunds, Oliver) on D, plus 1 by trade in Hughes and FA Butler

On offense, we have Allen and (if you count him as a 1st round because we gave one up for him) Diggs.

3:1 or 5:2

There's also a point that right now, we've got $72M invested in contracts on offense and $106M invested in contracts on defense

Obviously there's more to building a team than collecting 1st round picks and also the investment balance will change quickly once Allen gets paid, but I think Daboll might pound the table a bit that it's time for a bit more 1st round offensive investment.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did anyone else catch the presser - it was near the playoffs, but I can't remember exactly where - where Daboll kind of pointedly commented "Josh Allen is the only first round draft pick we have on offense"?  He sounded a wee bit salty about it too.

Some might point out that Diggs, perchance, should be considered as a 1st round draft pick since we gave ours for him

Others might question, if a guy is a "cast off" from another team's 1st round, does he still count as a 1st round pick for us?

But his point remains that we've invested 3 of our own 1st round draftees (White, Edmunds, Oliver) on D, plus 1 by trade in Hughes and FA Butler

On offense, we have Allen and (if you count him as a 1st round because we gave one up for him) Diggs.

3:1 or 5:2

There's also a point that right now, we've got $72M invested in contracts on offense and $106M invested in contracts on defense

Obviously there's more to building a team than collecting 1st round picks and also the investment balance will change quickly once Allen gets paid, but I think Daboll might pound the table a bit that it's time for a bit more 1st round offensive investment.

Interesting thought.  They could spend some money at Tight End and Right Guard in Free Agency and take a Etienne at pick 30.  That would be a tough offense to stop.  

19 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I agree. People don’t appreciate a guy like Milano until he’s gone. I was watching some film on him and he’s a fast reacting guy, hits the hole hard, and good in coverage. We need to keep the homegrown talent.

agreed. Especially keeping players Bills have developed.

Its tough financially when they become very very good, But it also means you are running a successful program

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, Chandler#81 said:

GO

AWAY!

HEY Einstein! Free Agency hasn’t even begun. Did I encourage you to go away? Just in case

GO AWAY!

Medication. He doesn’t take them.

Just good to know my fellow Canadian dude that I was not the only one thinking this was not a wise usage of cap,  I got killed experts do agree now.  I do like what Beane did with other signings but this was too much for an average player

But after the Bills finalized a 4-year, $44 million deal to bring Milano back, one analysis outlet said the money would have been better spent elsewhere. Pro Football Focus said signing Milano was their “least favorite” move by the Bills this offseason, saying there were more important positions to address and noting that Milano has been inconsistent in his play.  

47 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Just good to know my fellow Canadian dude that I was not the only one thinking this was not a wise usage of cap,  I got killed experts do agree now.  I do like what Beane did with other signings but this was too much for an average player

But after the Bills finalized a 4-year, $44 million deal to bring Milano back, one analysis outlet said the money would have been better spent elsewhere. Pro Football Focus said signing Milano was their “least favorite” move by the Bills this offseason, saying there were more important positions to address and noting that Milano has been inconsistent in his play.  

I think this is total garbage. Peter King is on record saying the best FA singing in the AFCE is Milano with the Bills.

I recommend becoming a Sabres fan. I think you may find it more to your liking...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think this is total garbage. Peter King is on record saying the best FA singing in the AFCE is Milano with the Bills.

I recommend becoming a Sabres fan. I think you may find it more to your liking...

I had to bring this to your attention because I took a beating for saying it and as it turns out I was not the only one. ,  contract may not seem bad once new TV money kicks in an Beane did great job with other signings.  Not sure if TE Kyle Pitts will be available when Bills draft.  6'6 245 and run 4.4 forty.  That would be all the Bills need on offense and then spend remainder of the draft on defensive side,  not going to lie I am concerned with our DLINE.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I had to bring this to your attention because I took a beating for saying it and as it turns out I was not the only one. ,  contract may not seem bad once new TV money kicks in an Beane did great job with other signings.  Not sure if TE Kyle Pitts will be available when Bills draft.  6'6 245 and run 4.4 forty.  That would be all the Bills need on offense and then spend remainder of the draft on defensive side,  not going to lie I am concerned with our DLINE.

On Pitts there is no chance.

4 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Milano poses an interesting question.

Would you rather have an elite LB play for 8 games in the season plus playoffs or an average LB available for all 17 games plus playoffs?

except this doesnt relate to anything about milano because before this season he played in 44 out of a possible 48 games in the regular season.... The dude has one injury riddled season where he misses time and we get silly posts like this.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

writers on "The Ringer" took the Bills as a "winner" of FA. Citing the milano signing as a reason why. Writers on the "The Athletic" graded the milano signing as an "A". Somebody already cited what peter king said about it as being the best signing in the east. Chris Simms went on twitter and said "Impressed that the bills held onto Matt Milano. Clearly the best standup LB available. He pops on film, he's everywhere."

So you go ahead and quote your ONE analysis outlet. The fact that you think that proves your lame a** point is comical. I literally found 3 different sources in 5 minutes that praised the move.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is it really "total garbage"? 

Milano played something like 40% of the snaps last year and missed a few games while playing injured in others. Klein actually played rather well filling in for him and he was on the field for most of the game when the defense couldn't stop anything the Chiefs were doing in the Championship game and when they struggled against the Colts.

He is a good LB for sure, but I don't think letting him walk would've caused the Bills as a whole to regress one bit,  and the argument that that money would be better served at a game changing position such as pass rusher, CB, or playmaker offensively is a legitimate one. 

Love the picking and choosing here. Dude played in 44 or 48 possible games in the THREE YEARS before this injury riddled season...... but lets use just the ONE season to form a rebuttal. That seems logical.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Milano played something like 40% of the snaps last year and missed a few games while playing injured in others. Klein actually played rather well filling in for him and he was on the field for most of the game when the defense couldn't stop anything the Chiefs were doing in the Championship game and when they struggled against the Colts.

He is a good LB for sure, but I don't think letting him walk would've caused the Bills as a whole to regress one bit,  and the argument that that money would be better served at a game changing position such as pass rusher, CB, or playmaker offensively is a legitimate one. 

The 10 other guys on defense couldn't stop the Chiefs in either game.  If lets say Tre White or Jordan Poyer were free agents this year, it sounds like you wouldn't have brought them back either....

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

writers on "The Ringer" took the Bills as a "winner" of FA. Citing the milano signing as a reason why. Writers on the "The Athletic" graded the milano signing as an "A". Somebody already cited what peter king said about it as being the best signing in the east. Chris Simms went on twitter and said "Impressed that the bills held onto Matt Milano. Clearly the best standup LB available. He pops on film, he's everywhere."

So you go ahead and quote your ONE analysis outlet. The fact that you think that proves your lame a** point is comical. I literally found 3 different sources in 5 minutes that praised the move.

Love the picking and choosing here. Dude played in 44 or 48 possible games in the THREE YEARS before this injury riddled season...... but lets use just the ONE season to form a rebuttal. That seems logical.

Has he been a pro bowler ever?  i love how you pick and choose yourself and unless he improves at covering TE'S i would agree

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The 10 other guys on defense couldn't stop the Chiefs in either game.  If lets say Tre White or Jordan Poyer were free agents this year, it sounds like you wouldn't have brought them back either....

The fact is the dude is a good but not great player,  maybe he changes that this season or maybe we still have no one able to cover Kelce and other TE'S in this league.  You seem to miss the point,  i a never said he was not a good player,  my concern was the salary given for what he gives us on defense.  

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Has he been a pro bowler ever?  i love how you pick and choose yourself and unless he improves at covering TE'S i would agree

There you have it! that settles it! LOL.

..... btw, what did i pick and choose? picking half a season of injuries as an example, over 3 years of healthy play(a pattern) isnt the best option, IMO..... PFF is about the only outlet i've seen all offseason that said anything negative about the signing. Lets not forget those "experts" you are referring to had Tre White as the 19th ranked corner back in 19 when he earned first team all pro.... its hard to take anyone seriously if they use PFF as serious ammo in their debate.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I like him and think he is good player,  just this defense needed to bring on at least one difference maker and i don't see him being a huge difference maker.  We were worse in the NFL covering TE'S or 3rd & long.  Paying guys more isa not going to correct that or have someone who can maybe keep Kelce under control.  People want to twist my words,  that report said the Bills could have used that money differrent. I love the Bills and would love to eat crow,  but you need difference making play makers to beat a team like KC. IMO

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The fact is the dude is a good but not great player,  maybe he changes that this season or maybe we still have no one able to cover Kelce and other TE'S in this league.  You seem to miss the point,  i a never said he was not a good player,  my concern was the salary given for what he gives us on defense.  

Milano has never been to a Pro Bowl.  Neither did Marques Colston or currently Julian Edelman....

How did I miss your point when I didn't even reply to you?

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I like him and think he is good player,  just this defense needed to bring on at least one difference maker and i don't see him being a huge difference maker.  We were worse in the NFL covering TE'S or 3rd & long.  Paying guys more isa not going to correct that or have someone who can maybe keep Kelce under control.  People want to twist my words,  that report said the Bills could have used that money differrent. I love the Bills and would love to eat crow,  but you need difference making play makers to beat a team like KC. IMO

I have no clue what you've been watching but Milano has been making big plays all over the field his whole career. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Milano has never been to a Pro Bowl.  Neither did Marques Colston or currently Julian Edelman....

How did I miss your point when I didn't even reply to you?

think about the amount of plays milano has made in the pass and run over the last 2 to 3 years.... and here we have niagra saying he's not difference maker.

.... i might argue he's flashed more than anyone in the 2 seasons prior to this one, when he was hurt all year.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I dont think Milano is a game changing LB so i agee with some points you made.

You can speak  hypothetically in preferring to spend that money on an edge guy...but there also has to be a dynamic edge guy available and who would have wanted to sign here.

Edited by DJB

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I have no clue what you've been watching but Milano has been making big plays all over the field his whole career. 

When?  in big games he does not show up,  last year against Houston totally missed on sacking Watson in the pocket which was huge.  Had no answer for even slowing Kelce down in AFC title.  Did he even make one play in either of those games? yes he is good but not great and maybe once cap goes up his salary will meet his good but not great production

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

think about the amount of plays milano has made in the pass and run over the last 2 to 3 years.... and here we have niagra saying he's not difference maker.

.... i might argue he's flashed more than anyone in the 2 seasons prior to this one, when he was hurt all year.

I don't have game film or an X's and O's expert but I think it was Joe Buscaliga (maybe the Locked on Bills guy) who said after watching film on the entire season, Milano was the best player on defense for the Bills.

I don't have the Athletic so I can't unlock this.

https://theathletic.com/2445275/2021/03/12/how-matt-milano-re-signing-with-bills-changes-buffalos-offseason-and-future/

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/03/16/buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-return-patriots-moves/

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

When?  in big games he does not show up,  last year against Houston totally missed on sacking Watson in the pocket which was huge.  Had no answer for even slowing Kelce down in AFC title.  Did he even make one play in either of those games? yes he is good but not great and maybe once cap goes up his salary will meet his good but not great production

You know what? Those are fair points. My counter point would be, find me a team this last year that didn’t have trouble with kelce. And you’re still cherry picking games and instances.... if you’ve watched him since 18 and thought “eh, I don’t see him making plays”, then I have no idea what else to say to you. I personally think that’s absurd. He consistently flashes. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't have game film or an X's and O's expert but I think it was Joe Buscaliga (maybe the Locked on Bills guy) who said after watching film on the entire season, Milano was the best player on defense for the Bills.

I don't have the Athletic so I can't unlock this.

https://theathletic.com/2445275/2021/03/12/how-matt-milano-re-signing-with-bills-changes-buffalos-offseason-and-future/

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/03/16/buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-return-patriots-moves/

And I would argue over the 18 and 19 seasons he was cumulatively our best defender. 

14 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Here’s a link to the PFF quote in a public article.

I was mildly surprised by the Milano signing.  Spotrac had his AAV at $13.8M a year so it’s not like we got a bad deal from their standpoint.  And the contract has a 2 year out at $21.5M, just under the $11M AAV he the overall contract is for.

I just thought some team would get stupid on an offer and he’d go there, but I knew there was a chance he’d re-sign here if that didn’t happen and they worked out a reasonable deal.  It seems like that happened.  Now about PFFs claim that we could’ve made different signings that maximized the use of that money, that is probably correct.  But I also agree with PFF that: 1) this isn’t a move that was a bad one in and of itself and 2) that even if it doesn’t work out well due to injury or performance, it isn’t going to do any real harm to the team or cap.

tldr: Re-signing Milano to the deal he got was fine 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Interesting.  I didn't know Milano covered Kelce in man on every single play in the AFC title game.

How many plays did Tre White or Jordan Poyer make in the AFC title game?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wasn't suggesting his injury prone.(Although he's had his fair share of games where he's played through injury) My point was the defense played admirably in games without him last season... I believe Klein won DPOW twice in his place.... nor is his presence the difference in this team taking the next step next year. He's not a game changer.... not like a good edge rusher or interior rusher can be.... and there were plenty to be had in FA(edge guys at least).

So i guess thats where we 100% disagree. A healthy 18/19 milano is a game changer IMO and most definitely elevates the whole defense to a higher level than what we saw in most of 20.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wasn't suggesting his injury prone.(Although he's had his fair share of games where he's played through injury) My point was the defense played admirably in games without him last season... I believe Klein won DPOW twice in his place.... nor is his presence the difference in this team taking the next step next year. He's not a game changer.... not like a good edge rusher or interior rusher can be.... and there were plenty to be had in FA(edge guys at least).

Klein specifically had a thread to cut him based on how bad he was on the field.  He then had two great games against the Chargers and the Seahawks and now he can do what Milano can do.

Klein came in when we played the Seahawks whose offense completely fell apart the 2nd half of the season, gave up 32 to the Cards (who we couldn't stop at all in the second half), the Chargers, the injured 49ers and the Steelers who also collapsed.  

When you talk about the Bills defense as a whole, you constantly call them average.  But now when you bring up a point how Milano's signing is a mistake....they played "admirably" when he was out.  So basically when Milano is on the field, they're average.  When Klein fills in for him, the defense plays admirably.  

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends on the contract demands.... but for a defense that struggled to get to the QB, which was their downfall in the Championship game, I think you prioritize pass rusher over OLB. They haven't done much to address it and cap was a big reason why due to resigning players elsewhere and holding onto certain players instead of cutting them outright. 

Only April so there is still time, but I wouldn't be surprised if what they have now is what they go with into the season. 

Okay so you would let Tre White this year walk if he got his same contract?  So you would leave a massive hole at corner....really?

The Chiefs were actually behind the Bills in team sacks last year.....they really didn't do anything to help their pass rush and it really was evident in the Super Bowl.

They added Reed who we were interested in too but he's not a game changer.  So I guess they'll continue to struggle there?

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The drop off in the defense isn't substantial with Milano out of the lineup is my point..... In my opinion, if Matt Milano wasn't on the team this season and he was replaced with the likes of Klein and a draft pick, they'd be fine defensively and they'd still win a ***** ton of games.

You can disagree, but I think a really good edge guy would make more of a difference to this team than an OLB in Matt Milano.

What really good edge guy would have signed with the Bills if the Bills were interested?  Like just don't throw names out there, give me specific players that 100% would have signed with the Bills if Beane called?

We obviously were thinking edge because we were after Watt.  Addison didn't live up to his contract so we made him take a pay cut....he's only making $4 million this year.  That's not bad for a rotation guy.  And if we had signed Watt, we would have cut Addison.  So no, this whole "we couldn't sign a edge guy because we kept our own" is pretty much nonsense.  

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

except this doesnt relate to anything about milano because before this season he played in 44 out of a possible 48 games in the regular season.... The dude has one injury riddled season where he misses time and we get silly posts like this.

I agree 100%. I posed that question because that is what most detractors think.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting.  I didn't know Milano covered Kelce in man on every single play in the AFC title game.

How many plays did Tre White or Jordan Poyer make in the AFC title game?

Even more of a reason to add a difference maker on defensive side of the ball,  offense will again be fine and defense will hold us back.  

• Like (+1) 1