Vernon Butler takes pay cut

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually thought Butler played well in spots but was not consistant.

A pay cut keeps from adding a hole on a super bowl caliber team while giving us cap relief.   We are already bloodletting at other spots as it is.

Isn’t inconsistent his total career? But this is whatever. He made a couple of plays but I didn’t really notice him most games.  But he’s young. 

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

It's funny that everyone sees Star was the "missing piece" from the D-line in 2020, when many wanted him cut in 2019!

Funny how many seem to complain about the 1 techniques on the team.  The run game issues are not solely on the 1 tech and that

position will never have big stats.  That's not the gig.  Also funny folks think the men who run a team as their livelihood would keep

Butler over Jefferson just because.  I gather they thought Butler played better, stats be damned.  Also, he took that pay cut.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It was a 6 million hit before, right? Gotta hope it’s at least in the 2-3 range now. Don’t love keeping him at Jefferson’s expense. 

Well, we don’t know what went on.  Maybe Butler was more willing to do the pay cut.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buftex said:

It's funny that everyone sees Star was the "missing piece" from the D-line in 2020, when many wanted him cut in 2019!

100% this. And Dion Dawkins is a guard and so is Cordy Glenn. Duke Williams should play tight end, and so on and so forth. The rage was that Star was expendable because Horrible Harry was something, and I never saw it. I think Phillips is our worst defensive lineman right now, but he seems to be a message board hero. Now its Edmunds who needs to move etc, and once again we will all be wrong about him because the simple fact is that players develop. And just like Dion did, Edmunds will prove his worth and blow up. 

I am in the minority here, but I thought Butler played pretty well for what it appears he was asked to do. He was overpaid, but now he’s hopefully in a better pay range. There is still upside there. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

100% this. And Dion Dawkins is a guard and so is Cordy Glenn. Duke Williams should play tight end, and so on and so forth. The rage was that Star was expendable because Horrible Harry was something, and I never saw it. I think Phillips is our worst defensive lineman right now, but he seems to be a message board hero. Now its Edmunds who needs to move etc, and once again we will all be wrong about him because the simple fact is that players develop. And just like Dion did, Edmunds will prove his worth and blow up. 

I am in the minority here, but I thought Butler played pretty well for what it appears he was asked to do. He was overpaid, but now he’s hopefully in a better pay range. There is still upside there. 

Star isn't some irreplaceable force against the run, I've seen him get blown way off the ball plenty of times. We only missed him because we had no 1-techs and had to play pure slashers/penetrators out of position. Star is a replacement-level 1T which is what we needed-- Ed Oliver actually somehow holds his ground vs. double teams better than Star does but Oliver has actual potential so it's no bueno to waste his talent in such a role. 

9 hours ago, vincec said:

I thought Jefferson was better than Butler last season, so on the basis of that I wish that they had restructured Jefferson and cut Butler. But maybe Jefferson wasn't willing.

Reduction, not restructure. Restructure just means you push the cap down the road.  Now if he earns the incentives back, that’s fine.  I forget he was primarily a 3 technique guy so thank you for sharing.  Since he took the cut, it sounds like a good decision to play opposite of Star, and rotate with Oliver.  The key is what can be done opposite if Hughes.  I was in favor of Addison, but he had a down year.  Can he come back to the four years prior to 2020, or can he be replaced and cut?  I don’t know, but I’m expecting more moves from Beane.  He’s not dumb.  His end of year conference screamed he wante upgrades at TE, Edge Rush, and the running game.

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good move. Now cut Addison and get younger on the DL

The fact that nothing has happened on Addison; reduction, restructure, or cut tells me they are targeting a couple of different players that are upgrades at DE.  If any of them are to be signed, about 5 minutes prior to signing the new guy, Addison will be cut to free up the $$.  If they strike out on any and all of their targeted players, then likely Addison returns either on a reduction or restructure or maybe then same deal. 

Typically on reductions or restructures you give the player something up front in return, either some guaranteed money or convert salary to signing bonus.  But you don't want to do do that unless you are certain that you are keeping the player, so for now may not hear anything.

Cue the post in about 2 hours announcing a restructure or something on Addison LOL

• Like (+1) 1