Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

Just now, MJS said:

I guess the theory is that Stafford has been held back by his crappy organization and that Goff has been propped up by the rest of the team and McVay.

But I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in the middle for both players. I don't see this changing the Rams significantly.

I get that argument however Stafford has had (almost always) pretty decent WR, to include one of the greatest ever in Calvin Johnson. 

Looking at the numbers for Stafford hes thrown for 30 or more TD just two times in his career and hasnt done so since 2015. And Detroit passes a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I will be watching him closely this year in Detroit to see how many games he wins there...

Stafford better go to the Super Bowl..

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I will be watching him closely this year in Detroit to see how many games he wins there...

Well, it’s not just wins...The last 4 seasons, Goff has thrown for more yards, more TDs and more yards per attempt than Stafford.  It’s not at all clear to me why Stafford is considered a better QB.

Just now, mannc said:

Well, it’s not just wins...The last 4 seasons, Goff has thrown for more yards, more TDs and more yards per attempt than Stafford.  It’s not at all clear to me why Stafford is considered a better QB.

Personally I think Stafford is better but I will be watching both teams closely .... my prediction is that the Rams improve and the Lions get worse with their new QB’s ..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Personally I think Stafford is better but I will be watching both teams closely .... my prediction is that the Rams improve and the Lions get worse with their new QB’s ..

Well, there’s no question which QB the Rams prefer, so what do I know?

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s an odd deal, but ok.  Detroit gets a lot from someone they want move on and Goff is a hold over.  As far as Stafford, we’ll see.  He was on a bad team forever.  32 is not old for a QB the way these rules are for protecting QB’s.  He might kill it on a good team, or he may flop.

Its very difficult to predict his success on another team.  Should be interesting.  At least we’re done with the NFCW for another three years.

All the people mentioning age...

QBs are playing until they’re right up against age 40 these days.

If the Rams get 5-7 good years out of Stafford, the age thing really isn’t an issue.

It IS, shall we say...less than ideal...that the Rams will go from 2016 through 2024 without drafting in the 1st round. It’s not as if their roster is lacking talent, though. It will be crucial for them to hit on middle and late round picks now, that’s for sure.

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't recall another trade with a first rounder two years off.  Using a discounted value for the future picks, it's closer to a 3rd, and two second round picks this year. 

I've never understood this math. 

I guarantee when those drafts roll around those first round picks will not feel like second round picks. 

• Agree 1

I think your view of this trade comes down to your opinion of Stafford and Goff.  I think Stafford's a huge upgrade to Goff and it will show next year.  Stafford's had to navigate through a bunch of crappy situations in Detroit while Goff was able to benefit off of McVay after a terrible rookie year.  I think McVay was tired of having to scheme around Goff's weaknesses.  Goff was turnover prone, indecisive, and doesn't have the ability to stretch the ball vertically like Stafford does.  Stafford should easily have his best season next year and makes them viable Super Bowl contenders for at least the next few seasons.  What happens after that depends on their ability to find talent in the middle rounds.

Two first round picks are a lot (there were apparently a lot of bitters) but the Lions had to eat Goff's horrible contract for that draft capital.  Also, keep in mind those picks will pry be in the 20's or 30's because the Rams will pry be a Super Bowl contender through 2023 with this move.  I see it as a win/win trade that the Lions and Dan Campbell will eventually screw up.  As far as the Rams, the only way this move works out is if they win the Super Bowl within the next few years.  McVay doesn't have a losing season yet in four years so I wouldn't bet against him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't recall another trade with a first rounder two years off.  Using a discounted value for the future picks, it's closer to a 3rd, and two second round picks this year. That's still a lot but they also rid themselves of Goff's contract.  

So the Rams don’t give up their first this year?  I had not seen that reported anywhere.  Just assumed it was ‘21 and ‘22.  That does make a difference, although the Rams still massively overpaid.

Stafford is viewed as one of the best overall players on the market due to his extraordinary talent as a pocket passer. The former No. 1 overall pick has dazzled evaluators with his ridiculous arm talent since entering the league as a polished playmaker out of Georgia.

He has the capacity to make pinpoint throws from a variety of arm angles and throwing platforms. Stafford's improvisational skills as a fastball pitcher give him an opportunity to win against tight coverage or an aggressive pass rush.

As a gutsy competitor with a knack for playing his best football in the clutch, Stafford has 38 game-winning drives and 31 fourth-quarter comebacks on his résumé. Although his losing record suggests otherwise, he displays all of the qualities that coaches covet in winning quarterbacks.

https://www.nfl.com/news/houston-texans-cannot-trade-deshaun-watson-three-fits-for-matthew-stafford

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting, but I kind of feel bad for Goff. For a California guy, that's like being sent to football Siberia--literally and figuratively.

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Goff reminds me of Flacco with a lesser arm. Detroit is about to be really bad again. People forget how bad Detroit was before Stafford. 

And while they had him. Not much is really going to change in Detroit--for them it's "We sucked with you, we can suck just as well without you." At least they got the draft capital.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

So the Rams don’t give up their first this year?  I had not seen that reported anywhere.  Just assumed it was ‘21 and ‘22.  That does make a difference, although the Rams still massively overpaid.

They don't have a 1st rounder this year as they traded the pick for Jaylen Ramsey.  I think it's seven years in a row the Rams don't have a first round pick since they took Goff.  They've been decent at hitting on their mid round picks though.

• Like (+1) 1