Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Please look at their passing statistics the last four seasons and explain to me why Stafford is a huge upgrade from Jared Goff...

its about perception tickets arent sold during the season the are sold in the offseason hope springs eternal. I never said one was better than the other i said the Rams wanted to make a splash to open thier new stadium to the public. But at the same time look at the supporting casts both have had to work with the last 4 years Stafford has had a much tougher go of it.

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I don't believe the Rams gave up too much.  They'll most likely make the playoffs the next 2 years, so their traded first rounds picks will likely be in the mid 20s or so.  Plus Goff had a big contract number that needed to be offset.

They shouldn't have had to give up any 1st rounders.  And even swap should have sufficed.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

What about the GM that gave Goff that horrendous contract?  Should they not be a GM?  I think part of the trade had to do with the Rams paying penance for giving that contract to Goff (who they obviously did not completely believe in) and trying to rid themselves of that awful sin and the taint that goes with it.

Giving Goff that contract was a major mistake too. They should have traded him on his rookie deal when they could have gotten good value from him. Most teams have no capability to think rationally about the QB position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Giving Goff that contract was a major mistake too. They should have traded him on his rookie deal when they could have gotten good value from him. Most teams have no capability to think rationally about the QB position. 

It's hard to find a good one. If you go back to all the Goff vs Wentz talk it's gone back and forth. Wentz was better and then Goff was better. Both franchise QB's. Now it seems both might not be good enough. Both of those teams made the Super Bowl. 

When you have a young QB playing good you think you're set, but reality is they've only been good for a year or 2. So many variables can make a QB good for a year or 2. When those change you might find out that you don't really have a good QB. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

you don’t think the Rams called the at least 10 other teams actively looking QB’s to see what they could get for Goff?  

I think for some reason they wanted Stafford, a guy that other teams were interested in.  I also think the relationship between Goff and McVay was broken and Goff just had to be moved.

Just now, mannc said:

I think for some reason they wanted Stafford, a guy that other teams were interested in.  I also think the relationship between Goff and McVay was broken and Goff just had to be moved.

but that has nothing to do with having to send extra picks to include Goff.  If somebody else wanted Goff, the Rams would’ve traded less to Detroit and got something in return for Goff.  

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Goff is 26yrs old. Has been to a SB. Probably wouldve won a SB if it was any other opponent besides TB and BB. Just two years ago he was in the MVP discussion at 24yrs old. The Rams were very rational.

Goff is being talked about here like he is Mark Sanchez and Stafford like he just won the SB or MVP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't get this at all. At first I  thought the reason might be to get the Rams outta cap hell...

Current Contract

Jared Goff signed a 4 year, $134,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $25,000,000 signing bonus, $110,042,682 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $33,500,000.

Whoa...

Stafford signed the five-year deal is worth $135 million with $60.5 million guaranteed.

I still don't get it...

Stafford kinda stinks... err, well, so does Geoff at times.  Lions 5-11, Rams 10-5.

Shouldn't the Rams be getting all the picks?

The GM should be fired for signing Gift and then fired again for trading Goff.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

but that has nothing to do with having to send extra picks to include Goff.  If somebody else wanted Goff, the Rams would’ve traded less to Detroit and got something in return for Goff.  

It has been reported that other teams made significant offers for Goff. No other team was able to provide a Stafford-type QB however. 

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

They shouldn't have had to give up any 1st rounders.  And even swap should have sufficed.

Perhaps another team wanted Stafford which drove up the price?  We will have to disagree on the trade.  I think Stafford is much better than Goff.

So many teams looking for a franchise QB. 

Falcons...draft?

Panthers

Bears

Cowboys? Dak won't sign for 30+ million per-Trade even up for Watson? 

Denver

Colts... this team might have gone after Stafford hard. 

Jaguars...draft.

Dolphins?

Jets?

Eagles?

Washington?

Patriots.

So many of them could have been after Stafford and now are looking at Watson. What are the Texans going to ask for Watson if Stafford is worth two firsts?

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Goff is 26yrs old. Has been to a SB. Probably wouldve won a SB if it was any other opponent besides TB and BB. Just two years ago he was in the MVP discussion at 24yrs old. The Rams were very rational.

Goff is being talked about here like he is Mark Sanchez and Stafford like he just won the SB or MVP. 

He's a QB that needs things perfect around him to be successful. He's had 2 down seasons. If you compare him to Allen, Allen can still be a threat when things go wrong. 

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Yikes.. I like the move for LA but that’s a lot to give up 

It is, but those will be pretty late 1st round picks.  Let’s assume that both 1st Lund picks are in the 20s - that is roughly equivalent to 1 top-10 1st round pick.  And that is even before discounting the 2022 pick by a round as is usually done.

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. They knew what they had in Goff, and it was a guy that could succeed if his first read was correct. If anything didn’t go according to plan, it was a lost down. Even before Goff was resigned, all the talk was that it was McVay and the supporting cast making it all work. They ultimately chose Goff at the expense of the supporting cast.

Teams need to think more rationally about the QB position. If you’re paying a guy like they’re a top 5 QB when they aren’t actually capable of leading the team themselves, you’re probably not going to be a real contender. The Rams kept themselves afloat by trading all of their first round picks to and carefully structuring the other contracts to try to keep the deck stacked for Goff as much as possible but it still wasn’t enough. Had they traded Goff earlier, they could have gotten at least a first round pick if not multiple firsts, kept the elite run game, elite OLine, continued building up an elite defense, and continue taking more shots at finding a good enough QB on a rookie deal.

Cleveland is one of those teams that are now about to be in the same situation that the Rams were in not too long ago. They should talk to Houston about what they’d need to add to Baker in order to do a Baker-Watson swap. Otherwise I think Cleveland will likely plateau like the Rams had these past few years (though to be fair, I do think Baker is a better QB than Goff).

I think teams are valuing 2021 1st round picks much lower than usual because this draft will be more of a crap shoot. Teams will have to draft players with less college tape, no combine, and limited in person meetings. There will be players that sat out this past year who will be drafted in the 1st round. The sticker shock of this trade and even the Jamal Adams trade isn't as bad when you consider that context.

• Like (+1) 2