Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

It's a lot of risk for the Rams because with Seattle and SF, you could still be a 3rd place type operation in the NFC West. It looks like either a misguided attempt at going for it in a short window or a splash trade more than something well thought out or a significant increase in talent. Statistically over the past 5 years I'm not even sure that Stafford and Goff are even that far apart aside from volume, but Stafford has never played in a big enough game to be put under that microscope like Goff.

The situation around Goff in LA has been declining quite a bit since 2018 and that team and coach have been living on the perception of the 2018 team for the past couple seasons. Goff hasn't really gotten better or worse than he was, but the rushing offense from 2018 is way down and the Rams don't have receivers that scare anyone vertically. You can trace the decline in their offense to losing Gurley, their line aging a little and the lack of resources they've put into their skill position players.

The short version of what's happening here is that it's like Chip Kelly: the Rams put their offensive eggs in the basket that McVay could make a lot out of less talent at WR and RB, and it hasn't proven as true as everyone thinks. They're scapegoating Goff here because they've put so many resources into the defensive side of the ball that there's nothing left for the offense.

And maybe the Rams are worrying that the Chargers and their great young QB are poised to jump past them in the eyes of the LA sports fan.  Herbert is going to be a star and McVay is going to feel the heat if he doesn't get top level production out of his QB.

55 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

When was the last time the Rams used a 1st round pick?

2016 with Goff. Then 2015 with Hurley, and before that 2014 with Greg Robinson (recently jailed for 150 pounds of marijuana which may not all have been for personal use) and Aaron Donald, 2013 Tavon Auston and Alec Ogletree and 2012 with Michael Brockers.

You're dead right that they haven't used their 1sts lately. But when you look at what they got when they most recently did use them, you see a lot of the better guys who've been on that team recently. Maybe they should use them more. Too late for the next two years, though. 

With Stafford, but also with no 1st rounder and already $13M over the cap, it will be hard for them to have a roster without a bunch of holes this year. Stafford is good, a lot better than he's been given credit for. But like every other QB, he will need a talented roster around him for the team to be competititive for a title.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Lions won that deal...Two 1st rounders PLUS a QB? 🤣🤣🤣

I guess that depends on how you define "QB" 😉

Also, Jets fans now think they can a 1st plus for Darnold, lol

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

As per my son, if this is all true the last first round pick of the Rams was Jared Goff in 2016. Barring trades their next first round pick will be in 2024.

Dad? Is that you? Quick, if this is really you, what’s my favorite football team? 

37 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Watson deal will push the league full on into NBA territory 

And it's a lock it will be Miami.  They're the only team with the QB and draft capital to get him.  This trade (in conference btw) just gave you the sticker price range.  

How can you rule out the Jets?  Same amount of draft capital plus Darnold. Tua has very little value; maybe less than Darnold.

Beane is asleep at the wheel.

Why wouldn't he trade Josh Allen for Jared Goff, 2 1sts and a 3rd?!?!

Goff has won a Conference Title Game and Josh Allen hasn't. When you can get that type of experience from a QB with picks to boot, you do it!

Beane must have known that he would completely screw up the extra draft picks and draft more busts.

The sooner we get rid of Beane, the better off this franchise is.

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Ideally enough going back one season Lions probably could have traded Stafford, Drafted Herbert and not wasted one last year with Patricia. But what do we know. 

I think the Lions won the deal. Stafford  is solid but I would be concerned with his health. . I mean he broke his back.

Lions fans are loving the draft hall and already counting the days until they cut Goff and and his his contract. They are veiwing this a a Stop gap Qb. 

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Beane is asleep at the wheel.

Why wouldn't he trade Josh Allen for Jared Goff, 2 1sts and a 3rd?!?!

Goff has won a Conference Title Game and Josh Allen hasn't. When you can get that type of experience from a QB with picks to boot, you do it!

Beane must have known that he would completely screw up the extra draft picks and draft more busts.

The sooner we get rid of Beane, the better off this franchise is.

You're a Bad Man, sir.  A Bad, Bad, Very Bad Man.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

How can you rule out the Jets?  Same amount of draft capital plus Darnold. Tua has very little value; maybe less than Darnold.

Because Watson has final say.

He may be good with the Jets.  I don't know.  

The tax situation in Florida is friendlier and so is the weather and the football team.  

I know Goff isn’t Lamar but he can move a bit. I just can’t picture that offense with Stafford. I know he can move a bit too, he’s just getting pretty old and has been hurt a lot. I can’t see this working. And I think Stafford is really good. If I was the Rams I would have been looking for a guy that can run a bit.

• Agree 1