Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think teams are valuing 2021 1st round picks much lower than usual because this draft will be more of a crap shoot. Teams will have to draft players with less college tape, no combine, and limited in person meetings. There will be players that sat out this past year who will be drafted in the 1st round. The sticker shock of this trade and even the Jamal Adams trade isn't as bad when you consider that context.

But the Rams sent their 2022 and 2023 first round picks...

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Goff is 26yrs old. Has been to a SB. Probably wouldve won a SB if it was any other opponent besides TB and BB. Just two years ago he was in the MVP discussion at 24yrs old. The Rams were very rational.

Goff is being talked about here like he is Mark Sanchez and Stafford like he just won the SB or MVP.

This.  I view them as similar players but Goff has a lot more years left and the Lions can adjust his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay, I get it now.

"Why Matthew Stafford will be a franchise-defining bargain for his new NFL team

Everything McVay wants to do — passing out of run-heavy sets, play- and run-action, the ability to hit total route concepts all over the field — Stafford is far better at all of this than Goff will ever be. Period, full stop.

And the Rams have a $33 million cap hit for Stafford in 2021, and a $26 million cap hit in 2022. Stafford will turn 33 on February"

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-rams-won-stafford-goff-044505617.html

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

but that has nothing to do with having to send extra picks to include Goff.  If somebody else wanted Goff, the Rams would’ve traded less to Detroit and got something in return for Goff.  

Well, obviously there was more of a market for Stafford than for Goff.  I’ll be curious to see how both do in different systems.  I just don’t think there’s much evidence for the notion that Stafford is better than Goff at this stage of his career.  As someone else said upthread, NFL teams are notoriously bad at evaluating QBs—even their own QBs.

14 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It is, but those will be pretty late 1st round picks.  Let’s assume that both 1st Lund picks are in the 20s - that is roughly equivalent to 1 top-10 1st round pick.  And that is even before discounting the 2022 pick by a round as is usually done.

2 late firsts aren’t equal to 1 top 10 pick, unless they are trading them. It’s  two first round quality players on 4-5 year rookie deals which is a big part of the value of the draft picks

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

But the Rams sent their 2022 and 2023 first round picks...

Oh somehow I completely missed that. In that case Detroit absolutely fleeced them. I don't think Stafford is that much better than Goff. He has a similar problem of limited mobility and has never shown he can really elevate the players around him. I think he'll be a little bit of an upgrade but not enough to be worth that cost.

"Sometimes, you have to look beyond the obvious to see how things work in the future. The Rams got a much, much, better quarterback at a time when they have everything else they need to contend. The Lions just hamstrung themselves with a supremely limited quarterback at a time when they’re going through a massive rebuild. Draft picks or not, the Rams won this trade in a landslide, and that’s why."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Okay, I get it now.

"Why Matthew Stafford will be a franchise-defining bargain for his new NFL team

Everything McVay wants to do — passing out of run-heavy sets, play- and run-action, the ability to hit total route concepts all over the field — Stafford is far better at all of this than Goff will ever be. Period, full stop.

And the Rams have a $33 million cap hit for Stafford in 2021, and a $26 million cap hit in 2022. Stafford will turn 33 on February"

That’s a good, if strongly opinionated, piece. I too agree that wins-losses stats are a terrible measure of Stafford.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Oh somehow I completely missed that. In that case Detroit absolutely fleeced them. I don't think Stafford is that much better than Goff. He has a similar problem of limited mobility and has never shown he can really elevate the players around him. I think he'll be a little bit of an upgrade but not enough to be worth that cost.

Stafford is gonna surprise a ton of people. Read that yahoo piece linked to above.

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

"Sometimes, you have to look beyond the obvious to see how things work in the future. The Rams got a much, much, better quarterback at a time when they have everything else they need to contend. The Lions just hamstrung themselves with a supremely limited quarterback at a time when they’re going through a massive rebuild. Draft picks or not, the Rams won this trade in a landslide, and that’s why."

I don’t think the Lions “lost” the trade, it was a win-win for what each team felt they needed at this stage of where they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

And the Rams have a $33 million cap hit for Stafford in 2021

Actually only $20 million for them in 2021, Detroit is retaining some of the cap hit. This was definitely a salary cap move as much as a player move. Spotrac is showing the Rams with a $193m roster after this trade. The salary cap is projected to be around $180m so they still have work to do. Goff's cap hit was going to be $34m for them. They needed that $14m difference to even make it possible to get below the salary cap this year. I have no doubt McVay also thinks Stafford will be better in his system but I don't think they would give up this much if they weren't in cap hell.

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Lions made out well there 

Agreed and I don’t think Stafford is that much better then Goff surly not two first better. Now the rams are super bowl or bust the next few years we’ve seen them do this with other players just wow

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well... he did play for the Lions. Probably the worst run franchise in the sport. 

Yup, and again, judging Stafford on wins and losses is a terrible measure. Just look at the organization since the early 1960s: 17 winning seasons, 37 losing seasons, and 4 .500 seasons. And look at their record from 2001-2010. Man. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I didn't know trades were allowed before the season was over. Is this a "in principal" agreement? Could the Bills do a trade right now if they wanted? I need enlightenment here lol

Yes it is “In principle” and either side can back out prior to it being finalized next month 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 97bills said:

Agreed and I don’t think Stafford is that much better then Goff surly not two first better. Now the rams are super bowl or bust the next few years we’ve seen them do this with other players just wow

He’s more talented and McVay is betting on talent. Betting on talent is the way to go, I think.

• Like (+1) 1