WR Kenny Stills said to be visiting Buffalo (no confirmation he signed)

Rubes

On 12/30/2020 at 4:02 PM, 34-78-83 said:

Holy crap the shade on G Davis in this thread is puzzling. He's displayed good, strong hands for most of the season, knows every WR position's role on the offense to the level of a vet according to his teammates, has made plays in the role his been given in the offense (3rd / 4th WR option) and has a good number of TD's. He's also been a good blocker on the outside. I think the Bills make it very clear that he is an important piece. Also, he is not a quick, route master type such as what you see in Bease, Diggs and JB. That doesn't make him suck. Craziness, I say.

Do we still want to replace Gabriel Davis?

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Not this year. He will compete for John Brown spot next year.

Sounds like he is only signing for this season.

I don’t think it will be a multi year deal.

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Do we still want to replace Gabriel Davis?

The first pick by Allen - I believe that was Davis not completing for the ball or coming back to make the play.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The first pick by Allen - I believe that was Davis not completing for the ball or coming back to make the play.

Coach said their interest had nothing to do with injuries and Beane has had interest for some time.  He runs a 4.38 40 and Brown is expensive with paydays coming. Dont misunderstand me. JB is one of my favourite players.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

Coach said their interest had nothing to do with injuries and Beane has had interest for some time.  He runs a 4.38 40 and Brown is expensive with paydays coming. Dont misunderstand me. JB is one of my favourite players.

His current contract was nearly identical to JBs - I imagine he will be looking for similar money.  I don’t see him signing a cheap multi year deal, but maybe he does.

I think they are looking for experience for the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Lmao cut him!!! The world that you must live in to make a point like that in an all pro play ob for that corner. Let it go man he is REALLY good for a 4 th round rook. Period

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

His current contract was nearly identical to JBs - I imagine he will be looking for similar money.  I don’t see him signing a cheap multi year deal, but maybe he does.

I think they are looking for experience for the playoffs.

His next contract wont be as good as his current one IMO. I think he will be more in prove it mode. He is not as good as JB so he was probably overpaid.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looks like the offense did get better with Brown back in the lineup.  Stiils will be excellent depth.

The offense is close to simply being unstoppable. A team can hold us down for a while but then we go on a touchdown blitz.

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

More likes of him becoming a Bill tweets from him today.

The whole thing is weird. There's accredited newspapers (i believe it was an article in the Syracuse paper) saying he was super impressed with his "soon to be teammates." Whats the deal here? Can he even play next week with Covid testing? Is that a thing with street guys? Are we calling dibs on him for the Super Bowl like a layaway system lol.. Crap or get off the pot. Not blaming him either, could be the Bills jerking him around. Whatever it is I'm kinda getting sick of hearing about it.

Edited by Bferra13

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

The whole thing is weird. There's accredited newspapers (i believe it was an article in the Syracuse paper) saying he was super impressed with his "soon to be teammates." Whats the deal here? Can he even play next week with Covid testing? Is that a thing with street guys? Crap or get off the pot. Not blaming him either, could be the Bills jerking him around. Whatever it is I'm kinda getting sick of hearing about it.

I'd assume if he clears protocols and they sign him tomorrow he start practicing right away, or else what was the point in him having to clear protocols first anyway.

Just now, Warcodered said:

I'd assume if he clears protocols and they sign him tomorrow he start practicing right away, or else what was the point in him having to clear protocols first anyway.

Oh okay, that makes sense then. I missed the part that that was the holdup... long thread. thanks!

30 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

The whole thing is weird. There's accredited newspapers (i believe it was an article in the Syracuse paper) saying he was super impressed with his "soon to be teammates." Whats the deal here? Can he even play next week with Covid testing? Is that a thing with street guys? Are we calling dibs on him for the Super Bowl like a layaway system lol.. Crap or get off the pot. Not blaming him either, could be the Bills jerking him around. Whatever it is I'm kinda getting sick of hearing about it.

He didn't officially visit until Friday night with a game less than two days away. Beane doesn't make anything official until all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and he has to have a physical and pass COVID protocols. Given all that, I didn't expect any announcement until Monday at the earliest.

13 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Lmao cut him!!! The world that you must live in to make a point like that in an all pro play ob for that corner. Let it go man he is REALLY good for a 4 th round rook. Period

No kidding - Davis is a fine player, but that does not change the fact that as a rookie there has been several instances where because he is a rookie he has allowed DBs to undercut routes that a more veteran player like Diggs and Brown have prevented.  The pass from Allen did him no favors, but that does not mean that it is not noted by the coaching staff where these type of plays occur.

It is not a knock on Davis’s talent or a thought he is not playing well - I mean the 2 catches he had were phenomenal, but it is notable that the All-Pro play by a DB was against him and Davis stopped on the sideline (standing there) and he did not come back to help out and it opened a lane underneath him that allowed the DB to make the phenomenal play.  Very similar to earlier in the season where he had an out breaking route that he flattened out and stayed level that allowed the Arizona DB to cut under.  It has happened several times to him - mostly because he is a rookie without elite speed and therefore must be very precise and it is critical to fight through those DBs.

The question becomes from a coaching perspective does McD prefer a faster, veteran player that has playoff experience to be available in the event a call up is needed.  I think he would be more confident calling up a guy like Stills if something happens than either guy on the practice squad and he gives a bit more position flexibility as he can fill both slot and outside receiver routes.

I don’t think the Stills signing (if and when it happens) changes or replaces Davis in the starting line-up.  I believe it is solely a depth signing in the event Beasley or Brown misses additional time and it provides a Veteran with speed to fill the line-up with less drop off.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I will be very interested to see once he is signed is it to the active roster or as a veteran on the PS.  Based upon his limited knowledge of the system - I would assume the initial signing will be to the PS as I do not think we have any openings on the active roster with injuries.

We will see - I am glad to have Beane thinking these things through.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Looks like the offense did get better with Brown back in the lineup.  Stiils will be excellent depth.

Yeah, that was a pretty silly argument being made here that the return of a player of his caliber wouldn't make the offense better

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone Happy now?

The timing lined up exactly when we said and he is signed to the PS - exactly as predicted.

Made total sense since he couldn’t clear before the last game - they signed a few just in case guys and replaced them out with more veteran players for the playoffs.

Nice job - Beane.

👍

• Like (+1) 2