3 prisons to close in upstate NY

stuvian

When someone commits their second violent felony there should be an island where they're are banished to with other violent felon offenders and let them fend for themselves.

Set up cameras around the island and have pay per view. Instead of losing money on these clowns turn them into revenue generators.

Edited by Beast
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Beast said:

When someone commits their second violent felony there should be an island where they're are banished to with other violent felon offenders and let them fend for themselves.

Set up cameras around the island and have pay per view. Instead of losing money on these clowns turn them into revenue generators.

And then some other clown will go out and murder someone to get on the island to become the next King of Murder Island.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

See? Make weed legal and the prisons empty. Who’d a thunk?😳

Looks like they need to make it more legal, like just let people grow it themselves

That was in 2015. Four years later, just a week before his re-election race, federal agents ignominiously led him away from his home in handcuffs and charged him with attempting to extort cannabis companies of $600,000 in exchange for granting them lucrative licenses to sell weed in his impoverished city.

“Mayor Correia has engaged in an outrageous brazen campaign of corruption, which turned his job into a personal ATM,” declared U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling during a press conference announcing the charges.

The downfall of Fall River’s young mayor wasn’t just a tragedy for the thousands of people who invested their hopes in him: It was emblematic of a rash of cannabis-related corruption across the nation, from Massachusetts to California to Arkansas and beyond.

In the past decade, 15 states have legalized a regulated marijuana market for adults over 21, and another 17 have legalized medical marijuana. But in their rush to limit the numbers of licensed vendors and give local municipalities control of where to locate dispensaries, they created something else: A market for local corruption.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:14 PM, stuvian said:

I feel for the small towns whose economies are based on them. No idea as to whether they operate at capacity

The next time someone talks about the multiple motives behind incarcerating people remember this thread. Not everyone who goes to prison is a murdering psychopath. 

There are large, for profit, corporations that will be more than happy to run prisons for you. Those companies unabashedly lobby for longer sentencing guidelines because they are good for business.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The next time someone talks about the multiple motives behind incarcerating people remember this thread. Not everyone who goes to prison is a murdering psychopath. 

True. Most of them are wonderful people, right?

Tell me, do you advocate bringing them into your nerighborhood? Would you like their offspring to attend school with your children?

Edited by Bill from NYC

On 12/26/2020 at 8:04 PM, Beast said:

Like maybe NYC or LA? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

There are large, for profit, corporations that will be more than happy to run prisons for you. Those companies unabashedly lobby for longer sentencing guidelines because they are good for business.

I came here to say something similar. A privatized penal system is complete bull####, and very scary.

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

New York doesn't use private prisons, geniuses. 

I'm aware of that. You don't think the union the correctional officers are part of does the same thing?

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

True. Most of them are wonderful people, right?

Tell me, do you advocate bringing them into your nerighborhood? Would you like their offspring to atted school with your children?

So what then, life sentences or death penalty for everyone?

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm aware of that. You don't think the union the correctional officers are part of does the same thing?

Is your argument that the case for longer sentences is simply "gib more monies and jobz please?"  That there's no other reasoning for it?

Or is it that there's two tiers of prisoners: murdering psychopaths and good boys who didn't do nothin wrong it's those damn police?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Is your argument that the case for longer sentences is simply "gib more monies and jobz please?"  That there's no other reasoning for it?

Or is it that there's two tiers of prisoners: murdering psychopaths and good boys who didn't do nothin wrong it's those damn police?

My argument is that in many cases sentencing guidelines have been revised upwards in the last 30 years with very little to show for it other than exponential expenditure in corrections. It's incredibly expensive to incarcerate people and anything you can do to keep as many lower level offenders out of prison is beneficial for everyone involved. There is more to it than that but that is the gist.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

My argument is that in many cases sentencing guidelines have been revised upwards in the last 30 years with very little to show for it other than exponential expenditure in corrections. It's incredibly expensive to incarcerate people and anything you can do to keep as many lower level offenders out of prison is beneficial for everyone involved. There is more to it than that but that is the gist.

Which "lower level offenders" are spending time in prisons (1+ year sentence) in NYS?

In principle I don't disagree but I find that people have a very hard time actually figuring out who is actually a lower-level offender based on incarceration data, including the crime they were found guilty of, for a number of reasons.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LeviF91 said:

It's state law but go off I guess

I am surmising that you know more about this subject than I do. I cannot argue NY (or any other) state penal system policy. Maybe my first post was ignorant. It may not be the case there, BUT, do you think that privatized for-profit prisons is a good idea?

39 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I am surmising that you know more about this subject than I do. I cannot argue NY (or any other) state penal system policy. Maybe my first post was ignorant. It may not be the case there, BUT, do you think that privatized for-profit prisons is a good idea?

What's the point of this question?  If I say, "no, it's not a good idea," it leads to nothing because we agree on a point that has nothing to do with the thread because it's against the law for a private company to operate a correctional facility in New York State (worse yet, it gives you a step up to a soapbox from whence you may bloviate about the evils of for-profit prisons).  If I say, "yeah they're the greatest things since sliced bread" then we argue about something that has nothing to do with the thread because, again, it's against the law for a private company to operate a correctional facility in New York State.

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

What's the point of this question?  If I say, "no, it's not a good idea," it leads to nothing because we agree on a point that has nothing to do with the thread because it's against the law for a private company to operate a correctional facility in New York State (worse yet, it gives you a step up to a soapbox from whence you may bloviate about the evils of for-profit prisons).  If I say, "yeah they're the greatest things since sliced bread" then we argue about something that has nothing to do with the thread because, again, it's against the law for a private company to operate a correctional facility in New York State.

You don't know me very well. I do not "bloviate", unlike, well, you.

My wife is from Gowanda. She says the prison is probably the biggest employer and has the best jobs for people from her area. She was sad to hear this news. She said their particular prison was for people who were serving out their last 5 years of a longer sentence or something like that.

4 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

You don't know me very well. I do not "bloviate", unlike, well, you.

No, you just chime in with useless shitpoasts on topics of consequence that you know nothing about. 

Stay in Your Lane. 

19 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

No, you just chime in with useless shitpoasts on topics of consequence that you know nothing about. 

Stay in Your Lane. 

Bite me. I stated my opinion, and even deferrerred to your intelligence on the topic. Still doesn't change my opinion. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.