Jaguars: Lather, rinse, repeat

In this day and age, it is hard to fathom how Marrone has held on to that Jaguars job for so long.  That team is a mess. To think, it was only 3 years ago they were thought to be on the cusp of being one of the new powerhouses of the NFL.  They have made one awful move after another.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Buftex said:

In this day and age, it is hard to fathom how Marrone has held on to that Jaguars job for so long.  That team is a mess. To think, it was only 3 years ago they were thought to be on the cusp of being one of the new powerhouses of the NFL.  They have made one awful move after another.

Money saving.  His contract runs out this year, so they don't even need to fire him.  Dumped players who needed big money extensions too.  

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I didn't think that. Marrone is just too mediocre to sustain anything for too long. He doesn't have anything going for him at all. Players don't love him, he doesn't have a special offensive or defensive mind. Not particularly good at game management. I can't think of a single thing he is good at. Some say oline, but our oline was the worst it had been in years under him and improved immediately when he left, all with largely the same players.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I always wondered the same thing when Jack Del Rio was there coach. Ownership may have a blind spot when it comes to coaching evaluation.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Uninterested / incompetent ownership is the biggest reason.

justin fields will help or if they manage to sneak in and get lawrence they have some decent weapons on offense.  the jags have two firsts and two seconds to help surround that team with talent.  good new coach and a smart free agent or two and they could turn it around quick. 

Edited by aristocrat
  • Like (+1) 1

Remember 3 years ago when the 2 or 3 Jags fans known to existence were talking so much trash about the Buffalo Bills and taunting and lauding how great their franchise was?

Ill give the Jags organization credit though: They were the franchise most ready for COVID football, they tarped 1/2 their stadium anyway and were very used to playing in front of only a few fans.

Kudos to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I sometimes wonder that if it wasn't for COVID this year they would have been greasing the skids to move either to London or even possibly St. Louis. They need major stadium upgrades to stay there and I can't see that happening given how poorly the team has performed with the lone exception of 2017. As for Marrone, he clearly bumped his head in 2017 and has fallen back to being what he was all along, a sub 500 coach. He had 2 years here with 1 winning season mostly riding the coattails of Jim Schwartz's defense. And in all honesty he would have finished here 8-8 that second year had the Patriots not sat Brady and their starters for most of the game in the season finale. 

What my friends down there tell me is the contract extension for Bortles really hurt them, there was constant feuding between their GM David Caldwell and Tom Coughlin, and players just don't want to be there. Throw in Marrone and you have a recipe for disaster.

20 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

I sometimes wonder that if it wasn't for COVID this year they would have been greasing the skids to move either to London or even possibly St. Louis. They need major stadium upgrades to stay there and I can't see that happening given how poorly the team has performed with the lone exception of 2017. As for Marrone, he clearly bumped his head in 2017 and has fallen back to being what he was all along, a sub 500 coach. He had 2 years here with 1 winning season mostly riding the coattails of Jim Schwartz's defense. And in all honesty he would have finished here 8-8 that second year had the Patriots not sat Brady and their starters for most of the game in the season finale. 

What my friends down there tell me is the contract extension for Bortles really hurt them, there was constant feuding between their GM David Caldwell and Tom Coughlin, and players just don't want to be there. Throw in Marrone and you have a recipe for disaster.

It wasn’t just Bortles.  It was also the Foles contract.  There are so many things there.  I was at the playoff game in 17 as many of you.  Caldwell (Frannies grad with Chris Polian and Telesco and a guy we know Daboll).  Coughlin really started this team off in a trailer as they had nothing then before he went to the Giants.  There is no doubt Khan had his eye in London.  For a purely business standpoint it makes sense.  There wasn’t a 70+ year history there and London would’ve been a cash cow.  They dodged a bullet as they would’ve had to move back here this year.

Funny as there was a story either this morning or last night how Daboll is being speculated as an in for LA with the connection to Telesco.  All speculation and click bait.

I wouldn't trust anything Schefter says about Marrone. They share agents and this wouldn't be the first time he's tweeted something positive about Marrone. I cant remember exactly, but he was tweeting super pro Marrone stuff when he terminated his contract here. Maybe someone else will remember the exact details.

• Like (+1) 1

I know I'm the minority, but I liked Marone for the Bills. I like what we have now much better, but I thought Rex was a step down. Marone was an arrogant SOB, but that isn't too unusual in that business.

Edited by mykidsdad
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Injuries, trades, letting guys walk, and trusting in Blake Bortles. Add on top of that Tom Coughlin's played out shtick and Marrone's overall incompetence then you get:

Steaming Pile Of Shite - YouTube

Left to right (or alphabetic order)

..............JAGS .......................................JETS 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

I know I'm the minority, but I liked Marone for the Bills. I like what we have now much better, but I thought Rex was a step down. Marone was an arrogant SOB, but that isn't too unusual in that business.

Oh I agree, totally.  I won't say I necessarily "liked" Marrone, but I do remember feeling like they were at least, slowly, headed in the right direction when he was there. The year he had Orton at QB ranks as one of the better seasons of the draught era Bills.  And Orton wasn't really good...

I do think that had he not opted out of his contract, they were pretty close to being a playoff caliber team.  I am in the may be in an even smaller minority, in thinking that Whaley was doing a decent job of stocking that roster with good talent. Of course, they never solved the QB problem.  Rex, beyond just being a loudmouth buffoon, was a huge step backwards in the evolution of that roster.  What Marrone and Whaley had been building got tossed, for a do-over.