Bills sign Brandon Beane to contract extension!!!

Logic

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure but very rarely on TSW.

The amount of hotly contested takes of import that I've been spot on about on this site over the past 22 years even surprises me.

I'm the GOAT in that regard here and it's not even close.

As I've told @GunnerBill though.......the key to being right is not trying to have some kind of take on everything.......it's having your strong public takes on things that you have warranted confidence in.

When you try to have a take on everything your winning % falls precipitously and you run the risk of being actual-NFL-GM-level-right..........which is basically a flip of the coin for the most part.

But we here are not living and dying by these takes. We are not making decisions that alter a franchise. So it is much more fun to have a take on everything. Frankly I don't know how to not have a take on something. Whether that is football or life. I can't remember the last thing I didn't have an opinion about. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You see humility would be a good approach for the Bills fanbase as we hopefully enter an era of playoff success.

That's obviously NOT gonna' happen.

Hurt people hurt people.

It's part of the reason we have such backlash against me basically saying "I approve of Beane being extended but he needs to do better in some regards".

This is not a harsh take in anything less than a battered fan environment.

But hurt people ALSO make good TV..........so Bills fans will at least be fun for the nation to watch climb the SB mountain again.

No, humility isn’t for the Bills fan base...

It’s for you... you preach and preach and preach in a manner of which nobody wants to hear. You can be the most insightful mind in the world, but the manner in which you display your intelligence, it is just grotesque.

Your takes are not the issue, at least with me. It’s the delivery and you fail to realize that time and time again. I think everyone agrees that this regime can do things better, heck, this regime prides itself on constantly improving, but you beat the proverbial dead horse with your takes.

You might as well start calling yourself Saint BADOLBILZ. Your behavior reminds me quite a bit of Saint Doug Marrone, a very high opinion of yourself and the need to make everyone aware of it. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If they lose in the first round of the playoffs this year, I'm not too worried, yet.  The first time around, they were fortunate to be in the playoffs at all.  I didn't expect a win.  

Last year was for all intents and purposes their first playoff visit with this team.   (2017 was holdovers.)   They actually played pretty well, but together some great play at the end of the game, but they weren't good enough to win.   Allen played like a rookie.  That game was for learning lessons.  

So if they lose in the first game this year, I'll think that's two in a row, and this will be the first year that will be a true disappointment that they didn't move on.  So for me, it won't be time to ask questions.   

I will be disappointed if they lose the first weekend of the playoffs. My floor for this season was win the division and win a playoff game. My ceiling was make the Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Honestly.......what is with the ridiculous straw man arguments?😆

I've literally never said anything about just getting young QB's and starting over when their contract is finished.

I get that some of you are frustrated that I am so blunt about the errors the organization has made.........but I assure you I've never suggested that Josh Allen should be a one contract and done QB with the Bills.

Sorry

I may have misconstrued your comment about cheap qb and peak roster. 

But McBeane have always been pretty clear that they didn't think this was the peak roster time. That's still a few years away.  They're still building. 

They're building though the draft, and they've only had three drafts together.  They're not done. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You see humility would be a good approach for the Bills fanbase as we hopefully enter an era of playoff success.

That's obviously NOT gonna' happen.

Hurt people hurt people.

It's part of the reason we have such backlash against me basically saying "I approve of Beane being extended but he needs to do better in some regards".

This is not a harsh take in anything less than a battered fan environment.

But hurt people ALSO make good TV..........so Bills fans will at least be fun for the nation to watch climb the SB mountain again.

Does he though?  We can win the super bowl this year.  If we do....and he doesn’t “need to do better” in any regard.  Sure, he can improve on things, but why does he “need to” improve on building a super bowl team.  

if you’re saying that he should strive to be better and limit his mistakes, absolutely.  I’m sure that’s what he’s trying to accomplish.....but he doesn’t “need to”.  Talk about an extreme position.  “Need” is a strong term. Extreme.  You do it too

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  This thread was started by good news for Buffalo Bills fans.  Actually I am willing to bet that every organization in the league thinks that

the extension signed by Brandon Beane was a great thing for the Buffalo Bills.

Yet people allow an albeit "intelligent" poster to derail your moment with his one true love........making Bills fans miserable.

I for one will bow out of this thread with a "tip-of-my-hat" to Brandon Beane and move on like he said to the 4 game schedule left.

In kinda feel bad for anyone that can't seem to let go of the past to look forward to what should be a very bright future for this franchise. 

I also seem to recall some Bills fans back in 2018 questioning if McD should remain the HC after losing a playoff game. Some people are just that way... and simply can't find happiness in stages of success. Nevermind that Tyrod Taylor was the QB in 2017 when the Bills made the playoffs. Nevermind that the 2nd year QB that some said was a certain bust and rated him a 3rd round pick that didn't win a playoff game.  

Good lord, after watching the Bills destroy that 49ers #5 defense on MNF, it was emotionally uplifting to see the Buffalo Bills play that way. Thinking that if they can continue to play that well they could go all the way. And if not, I can see that they are close to winning it all very soon. 

To Brandon Beane. 

standing ovation GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I will be disappointed if they lose the first weekend of the playoffs. My floor for this season was win the division and win a playoff game. My ceiling was make the Superbowl. 

Yeah, I will be disappointed. I said when they got Diggs that Beane signaled that they were ready to be a team that contests for championships.

What I said above was that a first round loss isn't reason to question leadership. There are a lot of reasons you can lose one game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I will be disappointed. I said when they got Diggs that Beane signaled that they were ready to be a team that contests for championships.

What I said above was that a first round loss isn't reason to question leadership. There are a lot of reasons you can lose one game. 

I think you can question in terms of "where does the leadership have to get better?" But question in terms of "are these guys the men for the job?" yea a first round playoff exit doesn't trigger that for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Oh hell they "got lucky" right out of the gate............they made the playoffs in 2017 with the worst point differential of any playoff team in 30 years!...........that is the very definition of a statistical outlier........ie 'lucky".

2) As far as getting to Allen..........it actually was a pretty clear path.   It was your army fighting it's way to the the capital city and finding it abandoned and undefended kinda' easy.  They had traded away a bunch of assets starting in 2017 to accumulate picks with the thought process that they were going to need a ton of picks to move up for a QB in 2018.  As it turned out there was very little competition to get there.   Teams were not willing to pay much to move up for the likes of Allen, Rosen or Jackson.   Beane didn't even have to use the 2018 first round pick that they acquired in the Mahomes pick swap!  What they really did exceptionally well was to take the QB with the highest ceiling.    Better to swing and miss on a guy like Mahomes, Watson or Allen than someone with physical limitations to overcome like size or arm strength.   That's not to be undersold........it used to be that you took the lower ceiling guy if they seemed more game ready.   The 2018 Bills didn't fall into that trap they made the right decision on the most important decision this regime will probably ever make.

3) Beane has had a few big misses($50M for Star.....Ford/Metcalf being some very costly ones)........but he has had A LOT of medium and small face-plants which is why they are up against the cap already and haven't had to pay their QB.   Things like cutting Quinton Spain right after you just signed him?  There's been a lot of quickly wasted dollars as Beane has tried to throw enough options at the wall to hopefully get some that stick. 

4) BB's WR judgment was maligned for a reason........his first two WR corps were among the very worst in the NFL and Bills team history.......seriously check out the WR corps from the Bills 2-14 teams versus Beane's choices.    And meanwhile the former Bills WR's McBeane passed on were making noise on the field elsewhere.   He totally whiffed on AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin in favor of Cody Ford in the 2018 draft and subsequently they now have a WR corps that is fronted by 3 free agents eating up over $30M in cap space and no TE's.    That's not genius that's paying the market rate in free agency and trade to correct mistakes.   Hopefully Gabe Davis is the start of Beane drafting good WR's.

5) Beane absolutely did not inherit one of the worst OL in league history..........he inherited an excellent group..........they had literally lead the NFL in rushing for the previous two seasons!   Wood, Incognito, Glenn........excellent players.   Unfortunately they hired an OC with an inflexible plan and then Beane foolishly extended the 31 year old Wood(who was going nowhere) a season ahead of his free agency in an attempt to get him to help pimp the process for McD.    That ended up costing them a lot of cap space when Wood retired after the season.   And then they strangely nickeled and dimed Incognito for some reason and he quit.   Glenn was traded and he then signed some bad OL to replace all of those guys.  He CREATED a horrendous OL for 2018.  He's done an excellent job since but this is another example of his totally botching his first crack at something.

6) They literally pay more for DL talent than any team in the entire league so excellence is expected.......and they are getting that excellent play of late.    I haven't been as critical of the 2020 DL as many.   As an advocate for them sticking with more athletic DT's than continuing to throw good money at bad like they did with Star..........it's just another instance where I'm looking mighty right.

7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).  

After this season they need to start getting A LOT more efficient with personnel decisions..........and since they have winning and a franchise QB on their side they should be able to bargain shop a lot more efficiently than in the past. 

Courtesy of luck and actually having the balls to be the guys that took the quarterback they have bought themselves a bunch of time to learn from mistakes.    I understand that my blunt assessment seems critical but the reality is that most GM's are hit and miss and it's like a DREAM COME TRUE to have these things fall into place despite that.   They've actually crossed many of the barriers to success with little resistance.  

But where the rubber meets the road is beating Belichick and winning in the playoffs(and a SB).   They are 1-8 in their first 9 high leverage opportunities so far........but they have the QB to turn that around. 

Our ninth grade English teacher showed us how to write up an article on the same person’s performance one negative and one positive, it’s really basic and I easy to do,  it’s nice that you remember the basic writing concepts they teach teenagers, we of course could do this with your life’s work as well... the hysterical part is that you parade this silliness as if it makes you appear thoughtful.  

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Have so many forgotten the 2 decades of an outright horror show that this franchise has been??

These guys turned around the franchise and culture in 3 friggin years! 3 years! We were a graveyard for 2 decades and now coaches and players will be clamoring to get here.

Expectations have absolutely been raised and rightly so, but to lose track of how far we’ve come in such a short period of time is an absolute travesty for most. I don’t get it. We’ve finally got a team that competes every week, that can win against any team on any given Sunday and some people are still bitching about the fact that we passed on Mahomes when we have a QB who is the epitome of Buffalo or dumped a guard who sucked for us and now seems to be playing well for Cleveland. You have to be kidding me.

I seriously feel sorry for many of the posters on this board who can’t enjoy the journey. I’ve got no problem pointing out the mistakes and errors that need to be corrected but people need to keep things in perspective. We are just getting started. There is a lot of good football that’s going to be played in Buffalo over the next decade. Enjoy it because we of all fans know how fleeting it can be.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Are you sure you don't work for The Boston Herald?😄

Belichick is a PRIME example of overcoming a mountain of bad personnel decisions with great coaching and QB play.

Seriously some of you would be suicidal if a big market media covered the Bills.........they aren't nearly as even handed as anything I've said in this thread.

No, Belicheat is a prime example of dumb luck (drafting Brady) and cheating overcoming bad personnel decisions.  The guy has a losing record without Brady as his QB, and even with a former #1 overall pick, his team is in all likelihood to finish .500 or worse. 

And even if you were to pooh-pooh the luck and cheating, he's a unicorn.  There's no point in even bringing up what he's done since few have done it before him and will do it after him.

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Does he though?  We can win the super bowl this year.  If we do....and he doesn’t “need to do better” in any regard.  Sure, he can improve on things, but why does he “need to” improve on building a super bowl team.  

if you’re saying that he should strive to be better and limit his mistakes, absolutely.  I’m sure that’s what he’s trying to accomplish.....but he doesn’t “need to”.  Talk about an extreme position.  “Need” is a strong term. Extreme.  You do it too

I hope they win the SB this year with a QB on his rookie deal.......as I said I think that this season was their best chance to maximize their roster talent/depth.........and that would be like how it worked out for the Seattle and Philadelphia SB winning teams.

Doesn't mean they CAN'T get better.........but as those other teams can attest,  after the cap room dries up it gets more difficult to keep the roster stocked.

That's where we will be able to see how McBeane stack up against organizations like New England,  Pittsburgh,  Seattle and New Orleans who managed to remain contenders for long periods of time with serious salary cap constraints.

The flip side of that........as I've mentioned.......is that when you win and have a franchise QB you should be able to have chances to get a few good, winning-motivated veterans on favorable contracts that weren't an option in the past.

Also......winning has a way of extending careers of important veterans you do have.    The Bills of the 90's benefitted from that kind of synergy.   In the 2000's the Pats have been huge beneficiaries of this.   Players will endure a lot more punishment for a longer time if they feel certain they can win.   In Buffalo we have become accustomed to players like Aaron Schobel calling it quits or quickly opting out of lost seasons for surgery etc...      

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Have so many forgotten the 2 decades of an outright horror show that this franchise has been??

These guys turned around the franchise and culture in 3 friggin years! 3 years! We were a graveyard for 2 decades and now coaches and players will be clamoring to get here.

Expectations have absolutely been raised and rightly so, but to lose track of how far we’ve come in such a short period of time is an absolute travesty for most. I don’t get it. We’ve finally got a team that competes every week, that can win against any team on any given Sunday and some people are still bitching about the fact that we passed on Mahomes when we have a QB who is the epitome of Buffalo or dumped a guard who sucked for us and now seems to be playing well for Cleveland. You have to be kidding me.

I seriously feel sorry for many of the posters on this board who can’t enjoy the journey. I’ve got no problem pointing out the mistakes and errors that need to be corrected but people need to keep things in perspective. We are just getting started. There is a lot of good football that’s going to be played in Buffalo over the next decade. Enjoy it because we of all fans know how fleeting it can be.

"It's like a miracle!  Keep it in perspective though.   How dare people bring up mistakes?   But realize that nothing has yet been accomplished.   In closing how can you not enjoy this journey?  Do it because it could all be an illusion then you would be sorry."

Have I driven you home from a game before?:beer:

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But we here are not living and dying by these takes. We are not making decisions that alter a franchise. So it is much more fun to have a take on everything. Frankly I don't know how to not have a take on something. Whether that is football or life. I can't remember the last thing I didn't have an opinion about. 

1) Exactly.

2) LOL     

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hope they win the SB this year with a QB on his rookie deal.......as I said I think that this season was their best chance to maximize their roster talent/depth.........and that would be like how it worked out for the Seattle and Philadelphia SB winning teams.

Doesn't mean they CAN'T get better.........but as those other teams can attest,  after the cap room dries up it gets more difficult to keep the roster stocked.

That's where we will be able to see how McBeane stack up against organizations like New England,  Pittsburgh,  Seattle and New Orleans who managed to remain contenders for long periods of time with serious salary cap constraints.

The flip side of that........as I've mentioned.......is that when you win and have a franchise QB you should be able to have chances to get a few good, winning-motivated veterans on favorable contracts that weren't an option in the past.

Also......winning has a way of extending careers of important veterans you do have.    The Bills of the 90's benefitted from that kind of synergy.   In the 2000's the Pats have been huge beneficiaries of this.   Players will endure a lot more punishment for a longer time if they feel certain they can win.   In Buffalo we have become accustomed to players like Aaron Schobel calling it quits or quickly opting out of lost seasons for surgery etc...      

This is really the nub of it - Beane’s job gets much tougher starting now.  Assuming he extends Allen within 18 months, for the next 10-15 years he’ll have to recycle the rest of the roster and play games with the cap.  THAT is where good GMs distinguish themselves.  Can’t afford to miss on so many draft picks and free agents when cap room becomes incredibly scarce which it is about to do.  And that’s why skepticism is warranted, while Beane hit on the most important position he will, as you said, have to become more efficient with his roster decisions if they’re going to achieve sustained success.  And oh by the way he’ll have to do that while losing coaches and scouts to promotions elsewhere.  His journey is just beginning.

That said - extending him was the right move, and it doesn’t count under the cap so what do I care?  The Pegulas have shown that they’ll eat a front office salary if expectations aren’t met.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is really the nub of it - Beane’s job gets much tougher starting now.  Assuming he extends Allen within 18 months, for the next 10-15 years he’ll have to recycle the rest of the roster and play games with the cap.  THAT is where good GMs distinguish themselves.  Can’t afford to miss on so many draft picks and free agents when cap room becomes incredibly scarce which it is about to do.  And that’s why skepticism is warranted, while Beane hit on the most important position he will, as you said, have to become more efficient with his roster decisions if they’re going to achieve sustained success.  And oh by the way he’ll have to do that while losing coaches and scouts to promotions elsewhere.  His journey is just beginning.

That said - extending him was the right move, and it doesn’t count under the cap so what do I care?  The Pegulas have shown that they’ll eat a front office salary if expectations aren’t met.

Beane is reportedly signed through 2025.  Josh would get a new deal starting with the 2023 season.  Beane will then have 3 seasons to prove himself with Josh's contract tying up a large portion of the cap.  Seems like a reasonable amount of time.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

They lost last year after taking a 16-0 lead.  

This year is all about - Win division, play a home playoff game and win it.  It is achievable.  Now is not the time to lower expectations.  

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Beane is reportedly signed through 2025.  Josh would get a new deal starting with the 2023 season.  Beane will then have 3 seasons to prove himself with Josh's contract tying up a large portion of the cap.  Seems like a reasonable amount of time.

So basically you think Beane let's Allen play out his full 5 year rookie deal...............when Mahomes(and Tre White for that matter) got extended after season 3?  

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Depending on how things finish, and assuming Josh keeps up this level of play through the rest of the season, wouldn't you think the Bills would try to extend him next fall, or perhaps even this off-season?

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So basically you think Beane let's Allen play out his full 5 year rookie deal...............when Mahomes(and Tre White for that matter) got extended after season 3? 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depending on how things finish, and assuming Josh keeps up this level of play through the rest of the season, wouldn't you think the Bills would try to extend him next fall, or perhaps even this off-season?

I misremembered Mahomes' deal.  I thought it was cap cheap all the way through the 5th year.  It's actually the 4th.  So make that 2022 for Josh.  Beane still gets at least 3 years to prove himself.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure, why not? 

I've never once advocated for getting rid of Beane or McDermott.

They've both made some egregious errors.......McDermott passing on Mahomes was as bad as it gets..........Beane's Kelvin Benjamin trade......his terrible 2018 free agent class.......giving away $3.5M for a two week trial on Corey Coleman...........his drafting of Cody Ford with 3 amazing WR1's on the board(which forced his hand to trade a bunch of picks for Diggs in the following draft)........trading potential 2020 All Pro Wyatt Teller for a late pick.   

You could certainly make the argument that his judgement wrt personnel is as mixed as the Bills previous GM's.

But he earned my support when he made the moves and selected Josh Allen..........whether it worked out or not he was the first GM to actually take a QB with the Bills original first round pick or trade up from it since they took Richie Lucas in 1960.     More than the GM or HC hires the reason they haven't been winning was trying to shortcut on the QB position.

And he is the first GM that the Bills have had where I've actually liked every one of the players the Bills chose in round 1 this far into his regime.  

Just as important are a couple intangibles:

1) Beane and McDermott adjust to their mistakes.......they aren't stubborn about being right in their evaluations or decisions........they quickly pivoted from Rick Dennison,  big possession WR's and a bunch of other mistakes.     

2) The MF'ers are LUCKY..........and as someone who also possesses that trait..........I most definitely approve.   A combo who can pass on Mahomes and get a shot at a Josh Allen the very next draft season is incredibly lucky.   Trade away a pick that becomes Justin Jefferson........but gets a vet who is exceeds many expectations.    It's fascinating how many opportunities McBeane have had land in their laps and they have made a bunch of mistakes but they always seem to get a mulligan.     Lucky is even better than good.    

So Teller wasn’t as good as who Bills had in camp. Cody Ford’s played about 5-6 games at G. Let’s give him a chance and he’s likely to work out. Coleman not a big deal. Incredible success with FA and working the draft to build this roster. Dumping overpaid underproducing prima Dona vets. Watkins  Darius as examples. Diggs trade, Beasley, Smoke, Feliciano, D Williams ( oh sorry panthers reject). Several teams passed on Mahomes and they were not lucky to get JA. Bills were supposedly scooped by Jets who traded up for Darnold. Beane then strategically and with great skill made the moves to get the guy they would have taken over all QB’s. Better good than lucky 🍀 That is all 😎

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why does Beane have to prove himself? We  are potentially in position to compete right now on JA’s rookie deal. But if we don’t I have full faith in McBeane that they will work the roster to allow this to be sustainable. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I misremembered Mahomes' deal.  I thought it was cap cheap all the way through the 5th year.  It's actually the 4th.  So make that 2022 for Josh.  Beane still gets at least 3 years to prove himself.

The Bills are already up tight against the cap in 2021 even before Allen hits the $25M-$30M salary cap figure in 2022 though.

Williams, Feliciano and Milano are UFA's this winter..........Diggs is going to want a new deal very soon.........Beasley and Brown are entering walk years.........Edmunds option for 2022 will be over $10M if they don't extend him before that.    

Beane has his work cut out for him.

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why does Beane have to prove himself? We  are potentially in position to compete right now on JA’s rookie deal. But if we don’t I have full faith in McBeane that they will work the roster to allow this to be sustainable. 

See the response above

12 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Humility is an amazing thing. 

People keep telling him otherwise, but he is always right without exception. You can have as much intelligence as you want, and I think @BADOLBILZ is very intelligent... but the holier than thou gimmick really turns people off. 

Maybe someone should look inward and try another approach? 

Sorry BADOL to be speaking for you.

Imo, @BADOLBILZ is not here to "turn anyone on." He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain.

A good exercise would be to read articles by leading sportswriters and ask yourself if you prefer that, or insightful posts by Badol.

There are posters (and more than 1 moderator) who I consider to be football experts on this wonderful site. BADOL clearly leads the parade.

Sorry, JMO.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he plays well the rest of the season we should absolutely make it a priority to extend him this offseason.  He faces four tough defenses to finish out the year so there should be little doubt if he's the guy or not.  Get him signed before Mayfield and Jackson reset the market.  If he finishes poorly then you exercise his fifth year option and have a wait and see approach.

• Like (+1) 1

That would have to be a very creative deal if a new deal after 2021.  The impact of the cap hit is going to effect teams this next year.  We are financially sound now, but Allen playing out his 5th year will earn him a better payoff thereafter.  Beane has nothing to prove.  That is just silly.  He an McD has built up a fantastic team over the last three years.  If Beane can swing it in 2022, knowing he has Edmunds, and even though people keep trying hard to argue, the team knows the value of resigning Milano.

Wow, what a gem this thread has turned into!

How I wish to cultivate a football intelligence even approaching @BADOLBILZ

Lets recap some of the G.O.A.T's greatest hits-

Of course we have to start with that incredible Shady McCoy take.  The call that Shady will be doing radio by 2016, that you somehow have claimed victory on, is definitely my favorite.  Buffalo Barbarian has trade Mario for Skelton, this one is your Picasso. 

A close second has to be McDermott being Jauron 2.0.  We can tie that in with the huge mistake not to hire an offensive minded coach, like Anthony Lynn, because that is how you win in today's NFL!

And lets not forget the HUGE mistake letting the Patriots poach Mike Gilllisee and his 5.7 yards per carry!  😂 😂😂

Definitely the G.O.A.T of something!  We would all do well to develop some of that self confidence, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  

Congrats, Beane! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Wow, what a gem this thread has turned into!

How I wish to cultivate a football intelligence even approaching @BADOLBILZ

Lets recap some of the G.O.A.T's greatest hits-

Of course we have to start with that incredible Shady McCoy take.  The call that Shady will be doing radio by 2016, that you somehow have claimed victory on, is definitely my favorite.  Buffalo Barbarian has trade Mario for Skelton, this one is your Picasso. 

A close second has to be McDermott being Jauron 2.0.  We can tie that in with the huge mistake not to hire an offensive minded coach, like Anthony Lynn, because that is how you win in today's NFL!

And lets not forget the HUGE mistake letting the Patriots poach Mike Gilllisee and his 5.7 yards per carry!  😂 😂😂

Definitely the G.O.A.T of something!  We would all do well to develop some of that self confidence, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  

Congrats, Beane! 

Gillislee is a classic.  We really screwed that one up.  Who would trade Gillislee for Matt Milano?  

Did you admit defeat on this one badol?  Or are you still right?

I know he’s still holding onto Sammy and Marcel, as if we could’ve won the the SB in 2017.  We’re still paying the price for not giving Sammy 15+ mill a year and Marcel beat us in the playoffs.  Clearly, two more misses by this regime.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Gillislee is a classic.  We really screwed that one up.  Who would trade Gillislee for Matt Milano?  

Did you admit defeat on this one badol?  Or are you still right?

I know he’s still holding onto Sammy and Marcel, as if we could’ve won the the SB in 2017.  We’re still paying the price for not giving Sammy 15+ mill a year and Marcel beat us in the playoffs.  Clearly, two more misses by this regime.

Or how about the HUGE mistake of hiring the HC before the GM!  That will never work!  😂 😂

The thing is, no one cares if you get things wrong.  We all do.  It's the ridiculous clinging to getting everything right, and then claiming superiority that rubs people the wrong way. 

We get it.  It's been a bull market for questioning the Bills organization for 20+ years.  Congratulations on riding that wave @BADOLBILZ.  But it looks like you might be holding that short position a bit too long.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Or how about the HUGE mistake of hiring the HC before the GM!  That will never work!  😂 😂

The thing is, no one cares if you get things wrong.  We all do.  It's the ridiculous clinging to getting everything right, and then claiming superiority that rubs people the wrong way. 

We get it.  It's been a bull market for questioning the Bills organization for 20+ years.  Congratulations on riding that wave @BADOLBILZ.  But it looks like you might be holding that short position a bit too long.

Amen. 

13 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

They lost last year after taking a 16-0 lead.  

This year is all about - Win division, play a home playoff game and win it.  It is achievable.  Now is not the time to lower expectations.  

It's funny how people misread things.   Nobody's talking about lower expectations.  I have the same high expectations everyone else has.  

The conversation was about whether Beane and or McDermott will be failing in their jobs, will they be on the hot seat of some sort, if they lose the first playoff game this season.   I don't think they will be, for the reasons I stated:   First playoff appearance was unexpected, a gift, and accomplished with left-over players, not with the roster McBeane built.   Last year was a game they could have won, but it also was a bunch of young players with very little playoff experience, especially a young QB.  It looked very much like a team new to the playoffs.  

So we come to this year.   The Bills won't have either of those excuses this season.  But as I said, there are lots of reasons a team can lose a playoff game.    Whenever two good teams play, regular season or playoffs, the outcome of the game often is not determined by which team is better.   Like the Bills and Arizona.   That game could easily have been a win, not a loss, and it came down to their stars making a great play.  Yes, the Bills could have stopped that play, but when the game comes down to one play, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  

This season's playoffs will be the first time the Bills will be sending a seasoned team to the playoffs.   That just means they have a 50-50 chance of winning, more or less.  The previous two playoff appearances don't count for much.  Maybe the Bills win, maybe they lose, but either way, it just means McBeane lost a game, not that there's something fundamentally wrong.  

Now, if the Bills get blown out in the first round, then there are some serious questions to be answered.  

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sorry BADOL to be speaking for you.

Imo, @BADOLBILZ is not here to "turn anyone on." He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain.

A good exercise would be to read articles by leading sportswriters and ask yourself if you prefer that, or insightful posts by Badol.

There are posters (and more than 1 moderator) who I consider to be football experts on this wonderful site. BADOL clearly leads the parade.

Sorry, JMO.

I'll chime in, because I was going to write something similar.   

I don't study posters, so I don't presume to have a full take on their personalities or whatever.  I don't remember what most posters have said from week to week.  However, after a while, when I get the sense that a poster regularly posts knee-jerk negative, I put them on my ignore list.  I've never ignored Bado, although I will admit that the thought has crossed my mind a few times.  

Why don't I ignore him?   Because as you said, "He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain."   I think he's too negative, and he has an edge to what he says, but the fact remains that although I often don't agree with him, he knows what he's talking about.   I often choose not to respond to him, because things often turn into a tussle rather than just a conversation, but that's okay.  All of that is okay, because he knows what he's talking about and he can justify his opinions.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

See the response above

He sets up his FA contracts up for easy exist by the Bills. He’s fully aware of who on the current roster is due contracts and who they should keep. But he’s got about 30M availability if they release some non productive contracts that others have noted. Pretty smart guy, fairly confident he’s got a plan. Certainly agree that he’s got his work cut out for him. He built this roster wisely he’s not gonna tear it down he will adjust. 

On 12/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, FLFan said:

Very good news as far as I am concerned.  It has not been perfect, but Beane has done a masterful job of rebuilding this organization, top to bottom.  Thrilled that he and Coach McD have this team in their hands for 5 more years.  

Every GM makes many mistakes or has missed opportunities. GM's make dozens of decisions and choices every off season. Several are bound to not work as intended. Beane however has had significantly more good and positive moves than negative ones. He deserves to see the next few seasons to see if he can take this team over the hump.

50 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

He sets up his FA contracts up for easy exist by the Bills. He’s fully aware of who on the current roster is due contracts and who they should keep. But he’s got about 30M availability if they release some non productive contracts that others have noted. Pretty smart guy, fairly confident he’s got a plan. Certainly agree that he’s got his work cut out for him. He built this roster wisely he’s not gonna tear it down he will adjust. 

That 30 million number is really only if the cap is set at the floor of 175 million. I think the cap will be above 190 million as they likely borrow from future cap increases to avoid having such a steep cut to the cap.

So I expect that final cap space number to be in the 45 to 50 million range after all cuts and restructuring is done. They should give the front office enough money to resign Mongo, D.Williams and Milano (likely to a one year prove it deal.) And have a little bit of money left over to add a starter elsewhere to the defense. Then use the draft to get younger at critical positions on the defense (i could see the first three picks being at DE, CB and safety.) 

Smart to simply retain offensive talent and add some youth to a defense that could be aging soon.

• Awesome! (+1) 1