Milano contract

JAC'dUp

They will have plenty of money. There are a number of contracts that will expire or they can rework. Star and Hughes can be reworked if they even keep Star. Murphy will be gone. Klein will be gone. They will draft 3 front 7 defenders next year and get younger. Alot will depend on what they think of Epenesa and Johnson as DEs. I would not but they could part with Hyde and get a high draft pick safety to replace him. If they keep Hyde I still think they will still get a safety in the first three rounds. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think they switched roles exactly.  But I think Frazier re-distributed responsibilities to put more of the coverage on the DBs and to create a role for Klein more suited for his skills instead of trying to plug Klein into Milano's role which was clearly a square peg/round hole mis-fit.

Yes, I thought they had Klein playing "more" of the Lorenzo Alexander role -- which is what I thought he was brought in for. He is not a skill fit for Milano's role in this defense.

Edited by jabu

1 hour ago, JAC'dUp said:

Thoughts on whether the Bills can reach a more reasonable contract with Matt Milano after an injury riddled season? Seems like his being off the radar for much of 2020 should drive down his price tag.

Why should the Bills pay this guy anything more than 8 million a season,  good but not great player.  Bills need to stop overpaying on fringe players.  What has he done that is so amazing?  if he leaves he would not be hard to replace. IMO

57 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

If that's the case it's good to see this coaching staff isn't stubborn after all may be ready to concede that Edmunds is not a true NFL MLB.

Also sets the stage for the obvious with the Milano leaving and moving Edmunds to his role permanently.

This is just a huge bad take when talking about the Bills defense.  

They play nickel around 80% of the time.  They do not use a true MLB most of the game and they are not asking Edmunds to be a traditional MLB.

They play the majority of the time in a 4-2-5 set-up with Milano playing a WLB and Edmunds playing more mid and strong side responsibilities with a “big safety” helping as an extra coverage LB.

They want Edmunds in the middle because of his size and his range.  They are not looking for him to be Leighton Vander Esch or Ray Lewis as fans seem to think of as a true MLB.

It looked like in the Seahawks game they switched up roles part of the time.  Edmunds made some plays in the middle in his traditional role and Klein was outside covering Lockett on at least one pass, but there were also several times - especially once they were ahead - they shifted Edmunds to the outside for coverage and let Klein attack from the middle.  They also used Klein up on the line of scrimmage outside Murphy a few times and blitzed Klein and dropped Murphy.  That was a Lorax type play with last years defense.

It looked to me like they are starting to get a better feeling of the players and how to attack - I think the lack of preseason, practice, and injuries caused them to fit people in without identifying ideal roles and they are now starting to make some adjustments.  I also think they really miss that Lorax pass rush where he would attack through the guard toward the tackle and allow the end to loop under to creat quick pressure up front.  I have seen fewer stunts and more straight 1:1 attacks this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if this is something that's been brought up, but could alot of his injuries be attributed to the fact that he's a bit undersized for a typical LB at his position?  I know with all the hybrids now playing positions they're typically a little light in the arse for, could there be a link there?  Just curious.

When healthy, Milano is an awesome linebacker.  But it kinda makes me think about the question which employee would I rather have:  the one who's an absolute rock star when he's in there, but misses time off here and there, or the guy who does his job, what he's supposed to do, but nothing flashy, but he's at work every day, on time, never calls in sick, and works overtime when I need him to?

In regard to the draft, I say we go pass rushing DE r1, LB r2, CB r3

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is just a huge bad take when talking about the Bills defense.  

They play nickel around 80% of the time.  They do not use a true MLB most of the game and they are not asking Edmunds to be a traditional MLB.

They play the majority of the time in a 4-2-5 set-up with Milano playing a WLB and Edmunds playing more mid and strong side responsibilities with a “big safety” helping as an extra coverage LB.

They want Edmunds in the middle because of his size and his range.  They are not looking for him to be Leighton Vander Esch or Ray Lewis as fans seem to think of as a true MLB.

It looked like in the Seahawks game they switched up roles part of the time.  Edmunds made some plays in the middle in his traditional role and Klein was outside covering Lockett on at least one pass, but there were also several times - especially once they were ahead - they shifted Edmunds to the outside for coverage and let Klein attack from the middle.  They also used Klein up on the line of scrimmage outside Murphy a few times and blitzed Klein and dropped Murphy.  That was a Lorax type play with last years defense.

It looked to me like they are starting to get a better feeling of the players and how to attack - I think the lack of preseason, practice, and injuries caused them to fit people in without identifying ideal roles and they are now starting to make some adjustments.  I also think they really miss that Lorax pass rush where he would attack through the guard toward the tackle and allow the end to loop under to creat quick pressure up front.  I have seen fewer stunts and more straight 1:1 attacks this year.

Good analysis.  If you have 2 LBs with pass coverage ability that can tackle that is what this defense calls for.  Allows them to bring corners and safties on blitzes more and makes it hard to get chunks down the seam.  Now when 1 isn't in there the middle seems to open up like there is no tomorrow because you have to have the speed to hover around LOS until you identify if it is pass or run and then haul ass back if its a passing play. 

2 hours ago, ogham26 said:

i think the covid related cap situation will help keep his cost down more than the injury issues.  teams will always overpay for talent in free agency but this upcoming off season could be really strange.  hope they can bring him back

Yea - I don’t think his reputation really changed much this season. Good player, struggles to be healthy. 

they get paid but sometimes not long term or high guarantee. But they get paid.

what this offseason ends up being will be a question mark though.

Does anyone recall the interview / article with Milano, where he talked about his penchant for minimalism? The guy literally has like three tee-shirts one pair of shoes and two pairs of jeans. He has almost nothing in his apartment. He's not about "things" or high-priced anything. Maybe, if he really likes it here--who can tell, other than his coaches and teammates?--he might take a team-friendly deal. It seems in line with his nature. Just a, hopeful, thought.

1 minute ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Does anyone recall the interview / article with Milano, where he talked about his penchant for minimalism? The guy literally has like three tee-shirts one pair of shoes and two pairs of jeans. He has almost nothing in his apartment. He's not about "things" or high-priced anything. Maybe, if he really likes it here--who can tell, other than his coaches and teammates?--he might take a team-friendly deal. It seems in line with his nature. Just a, hopeful, thought.

Its the agent that will push the issue.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I get the logic, but this is also the one big giant set for life payday players need. He didn’t have a big rookie deal. Health concerns of football not even counting his injuries but just long term. This contract is the one that sets him for life. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean you can go ahead and check the contracts at overthecap and spotrac and see for yourself that its not just conjecture.   Shaq Thompson, who was playing the exact role Milano is in McDermott's defense got paid that exact amount of money.   If Milano was healthy, and the cap stayed at 198.2, not impacted by COVID, I think they rush to resign him.

I am sorry but this idea that you cant pay your top talent is crazy.  Look at the Chiefs for instance, they have paid Mahomes, Watkins, Kelce, Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and Tyreek Hill.   You pay your best players if you can circumvent the cap, which a lot of teams do by paying roster bonuses.  Milano's issues isnt the money, its his availability.

I'm sorry, I'd rather not be like the Carolina Panthers.  And Thompson, he of the 0 Pro Bowls and 0 All-Pro team nods in 5 seasons, is most definitely not the one to spend 12-13M on.  Besides, he's missed 2 games each year for the last 5 seasons. 

MIlano's a good defender against the pass when healthy, but he's missed 8 games in the last 2.5 seasons.  If I'm giving out contracts and using the owner's money I want something more than that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I would not offer more than a 1 year 7M, fully guaranteed deal.  Take it or leave it.  He’s talented, but the injuries are more and more frequent, he’s undersized for the league and this is exactly why there is a prototype.   He has not been able to shed the tag of too small, which only comes when you play big and don’t get hurt.  I like him, he’s the best Lb on the squad, when healthy, but availability is just as big as talent. 

Because of the injury history, why not pay him fairly, but only for production on a more incentive laden deal? Why guarantee the money? Pay for play. That has a better chance of coming to terms, I’m guessing. Let him bet on himself.  We still need to find better depth there, regardless.