Milano contract

JAC'dUp

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'm sorry, I'd rather not be like the Carolina Panthers.  And Thompson, he of the 0 Pro Bowls and 0 All-Pro team nods in 5 seasons, is most definitely not the one to spend 12-13M on.  Besides, he's missed 2 games each year for the last 5 seasons. 

MIlano's a good defender against the pass when healthy, but he's missed 8 games in the last 2.5 seasons.  If I'm giving out contracts and using the owner's money I want something more than that. 

I am not disagreeing with you on what Milano deserves.   I am just saying you can find ways to pay good players.   Right now because of injuries I would pay Milano a penny over 9 million a year.

26 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I get the logic, but this is also the one big giant set for life payday players need. He didn’t have a big rookie deal. Health concerns of football not even counting his injuries but just long term. This contract is the one that sets him for life. 

That's true, but given his injury-ridden season he might also be interested in a "bet on myself" 1 year deal.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Because of the injury history, why not pay him fairly, but only for production on a more incentive laden deal? Why guarantee the money? Pay for play. That has a better chance of coming to terms, I’m guessing. Let him bet on himself.  We still need to find better depth there, regardless. 

That would actually be a reasonable strategy for both sides - guarantee him money he might get in a "bet on me" 1 yr deal, and offer generous incentives per game etc that could see him really get paid if he performs.  He would get more security than in a better paid 1 yr deal elsewhere, and still secure the chance to cash in.

I think those contracts get tricky with the cap though.

31 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Does anyone recall the interview / article with Milano, where he talked about his penchant for minimalism? The guy literally has like three tee-shirts one pair of shoes and two pairs of jeans. He has almost nothing in his apartment. He's not about "things" or high-priced anything. Maybe, if he really likes it here--who can tell, other than his coaches and teammates?--he might take a team-friendly deal. It seems in line with his nature. Just a, hopeful, thought.

I think he may have a little bit more than that, but even being a personal minimalist doesn't mean he doesn't have someone else - family - he wants to set up for life - or post-football goals he wants to be able to fund.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true, but given his injury-ridden season he might also be interested in a "bet on myself" 1 year deal.

That would actually be a reasonable strategy for both sides - guarantee him money he might get in a "bet on me" 1 yr deal, and offer generous incentives per game etc that could see him really get paid if he performs.  He would get more security than in a better paid 1 yr deal elsewhere, and still secure the chance to cash in.

I think those contracts get tricky with the cap though.

I think he may have a little bit more than that, but even being a personal minimalist doesn't mean he doesn't have someone else - family - he wants to set up for life - or post-football goals he wants to be able to fund.

That, and an agent who gets in his face and says “don’t be an idiot, you pay me to do this job, so let me do it!.” 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean you can go ahead and check the contracts at overthecap and spotrac and see for yourself that its not just conjecture.   Shaq Thompson, who was playing the exact role Milano is in McDermott's defense got paid that exact amount of money.   If Milano was healthy, and the cap stayed at 198.2, not impacted by COVID, I think they rush to resign him.

I am sorry but this idea that you cant pay your top talent is crazy.  Look at the Chiefs for instance, they have paid Mahomes, Watkins, Kelce, Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and Tyreek Hill.   You pay your best players if you can circumvent the cap, which a lot of teams do by paying roster bonuses.  Milano's issues isnt the money, its his availability.

I agree with you it seems only buffalo can’t keep players every other team does it. Look at saints too

Both sides are going to take a one year "prove it" deal. The cap could be 175 million and that could put the Bills right up against the cap, even if the cap is set significantly higher at 195 million the Bills still want to maximize their window to win and getting a good starter who is injury prone back on a one year deal suits their needs. Milano is hoping for that big contract but given that the cap will be deflated and he will be coming off of an injury prone season it makes sense for him to take a one year modest deal to build his value backup and hit the market when the cap is going to be well over 200 million most likely. 

I think most likely Milano will take a one year 5 million dollar deal. A big windfall and raise for him, but a low commitment for the Bills. 

3 hours ago, JAC'dUp said:

Thoughts on whether the Bills can reach a more reasonable contract with Matt Milano after an injury riddled season? Seems like his being off the radar for much of 2020 should drive down his price tag.

I think they let him walk, unless he takes a smaller monetary figure.  He’s good when healthy, but I would rather they re-sign Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Heck Milano was a 5th rounded who was starting by middle of his first season IIRC. 
Stud LB’ers can be found in rounds two and three without taking a big chance on the pick. 

And what happens when we draft Vosean Joseph instead of Matt Milano?  

Diamonds in the rough can be found of every position in later rounds.  You just can’t count on them.  If our game plan was to let Milano go and draft his replacement in rd 5, it would be a massive mistake

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can't sign everyone. Have to pick and choose. You let a small LB walk and keep Williams and Feliciano. They can find a LB on the cheap in the draft and/or free agency. The biggest question will be is if they pick up Edmunds fifth year option.

Agree on the first part.

regarding Edmunds, I don’t think there’s any chance they don’t pick up his option. 

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And what happens when we draft Vosean Joseph instead of Matt Milano?  

Diamonds in the rough can be found of every position in later rounds.  You just can’t count on them.  If our game plan was to let Milano go and draft his replacement in rd 5, it would be a massive mistake

Agree on the first part.

regarding Edmunds, I don’t think there’s any chance they don’t pick up his option. 

That’s why I said in the first three rounds. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

We already lack backers, and Milano is a huge difference maker for our D.  I think team and Matt like each other as well, and the bet here is both sides will bend a bit and meet in the middle of the bid and the ask.  I think it would be absolutely insane to let Milano walk.

Who is giving a good but not great injury prone LB a huge deal when there is a possible cap crunch? Overall I would say that the two sides will meet at a one year "prove it" deal. It is beneficial for Milano to stay in a system that makes him look good and hopefully rebuild his value by staying healthy and hit the market when the cap is much higher. The Bills keep Milano in the fold for another year for a modest price and can give him one last full assessment. 

I would try to to draft Owusu-Koramoa from Notre Dame.

Not only that, we’ve missed him this year, but we’re also 7-2 with him being injured/missing significant time so far this year. 

This is not the kind of player you invest big money into. If he takes a 1yr deal you do it. If not, you say your goodbyes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Because of the injury history, why not pay him fairly, but only for production on a more incentive laden deal? Why guarantee the money? Pay for play. That has a better chance of coming to terms, I’m guessing. Let him bet on himself.  We still need to find better depth there, regardless. 

I need to know exactly what he’s costing me and he should be willing to take a little less for full guarantee.  Everyone wins.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm sorry, I'd rather not be like the Carolina Panthers.  And Thompson, he of the 0 Pro Bowls and 0 All-Pro team nods in 5 seasons, is most definitely not the one to spend 12-13M on.  Besides, he's missed 2 games each year for the last 5 seasons. 

MIlano's a good defender against the pass when healthy, but he's missed 8 games in the last 2.5 seasons.  If I'm giving out contracts and using the owner's money I want something more than that. 

You do know he’s only been in the league for 3.5 years.  This stuff is way overblown.  It’s funny how everyone wants to move on, but no one has another option at all, and everyone witches about how bad we were when he wasn’t in the games.  He missed an average of 2 games per season in 2018, and 2019.  That is not nearly injury prone.  Allen was out 4 games in 2018 with an elbow in the pocket which is the exact same.  He was eligible in 2017 (Milano) for all the games, they just didn’t know how god he plays.  He’s hurt, moving on.  People want a prove it deal. Fine, but if he moves on and our defense takes a nose dive I can’t believe how many will complain about the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

Milano is far and away our best LB and when he's on the field and healthy our defense is much better.

The downside is he has missed a lot of games and has had a lot of soft tissue injuries, particularly hamstring pulls.  Major injuries are kind of luck l, but soft tissue injuries can be a sign of injury prone.  

The Bills will have a decision to make......is he worth the $12-13M he will seek on the open market and will the Bills value him at that #?

I'm not sure they will given his injury history, but with a tightening cap next year I'm not sure thr rest of the league will value him at that #.  I think its possible another team with a crapload of space could throw a 4yr - $50M deal at Milano and I'm not sure the Bills would match that.....but I also think it might be in Milanos best interest to take a 1 yr deal and hit FA when the cap normalizes.  If that's the case I could see thr Bills & Milano agreeing to a $6-8M 1 year deal with active game incentives to protect the team from any injuries.

Truth be told I was a huge proponent of resigning Milano a few weeks ago, but I'm not as certain anymore.  With the philosophy of having to outscore the best teams, perhaps you replace him with a draft pick and allocate the saved money back into the offense

BTW a guy I have my eye on for next yrs draft is OLB, Zaven Collins, Tulsa.  Looks like a really nice player, probably would need to spend a 1st rounder on him.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I need to know exactly what he’s costing me and he should be willing to take a little less for full guarantee.  Everyone wins.

Unless you are paying for a guy who is not playing. That’s not a win for the Bills. Asking him to play for a heavy discount is not a win for Milano. That’s just one guy’s opinion. Let him earn the bigger bucks if he stays healthy. They can figure the cap cost out, they do this for a living in the big leagues. Milano is a nice scheme fit here if he can stay healthy, so that may influence him.  I’m just trying to suggest something that might actually work for everyone. 

I’ll trust Beane on this one. If Kyle Dugger had fallen to them as was hoped, this would be an easier position for us to handle. But that’s why they get the big bucks! 

Edited by Augie