Joe B All-22 from Pats game

YoloinOhio

Dion Dawkins - career year ... Great to see a player get paid ... and THEN have a career year. 

taron Johnson - troublesome future signs (unsurprising)

This was interesting 

4) The Bills tease a brand new defensive look

As you can see in the image, the Bills went with a traditional 5-2 look even when the Patriots were in 11 personnel. They kicked Harrison Phillips over to nose tackle and squared him up with the center — a position he played in college at Stanford. The Bills kept Ed Oliver in his usual three-technique role between the right guard and tackle, and then moved Mario Addison from defensive end to a shade between the left guard and tackle. The Bills also used Jerry Hughes as a standup edge rusher from the left side and Edmunds at a similar position on the right side. A.J. Klein then served as the prototypical linebacker and safety Dean Marlowe shifted down. The idea behind the 5-2 is to help limit the run. It’s an approach the Bills could continue to use, except that head coach Sean McDermott is known for using formations like this as a one-off. He’ll sprinkle in different looks throughout a game to make upcoming opponents waste time preparing for it and then only use it again later in the season. If the Bills struggle to stop the run against Seattle, the Bills could go back to this look. But given the Seahawks’ penchant for passing this season, that will likely be the Bills’ focus this week.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What happened to Taron?

He's struggling in coverage.  He hesitates at the break and lets the receiver get a jump on him.   The word is kind of out so QBs can look for whatever receiver Johnson is covering and throw there.

We haven't shown a defensive counter yet.  I think they were planning to bench him for Cam Lewis but the wrist injury took care of that.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder if Siran Neal starts getting more snaps in place of Taron Johnson?

I’ve been asking this question for weeks. Where has he been? Why hasn’t he been given a shot? 
It’s frustrating to know on a passing down that Taron is going to be targeted. Teams are going at him time and time again with a lot of success and we aren’t doing anything that I’ve noticed from a personnel or schematic standpoint to help him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’ve been asking this question for weeks. Where has he been? Why hasn’t he been given a shot? 
It’s frustrating to know on a passing down that Taron is going to be targeted. Teams are going at him time and time again with a lot of success and we aren’t doing anything that I’ve noticed from a personnel or schematic standpoint to help him. 

Same

Also, I've wondered the same about Vosean Joseph getting cut and AJ Klein being on the team. Is there any way Vosean is worse than him? If he is.. couldn't he at least be developed into something more than AJ Klein?!

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Same

Also, I've wondered the same about Vosean Joseph getting cut and AJ Klein being on the team. Is there any way Vosean is worse than him? If he is.. couldn't he at least be developed into something more than AJ Klein?!

He’s on the street - not even on a PS anywhere. With all the injuries across the league I’m guessing there is more to the story. When he got cut, McD said something along the lines of he had something else going on... didn’t seem football related 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s on the street - not even on a PS anywhere. With all the injuries across the league I’m guessing there is more to the story. When he got cut, McD said something along the lines of he had something else going on... didn’t seem football related 

Got it, got it.. that makes sense.. I didn't see that anywhere. I was sooo high on him. I loved his game for how we run our defense. 

I guess the thing that's most noticeable for me in the whole article is the season evaluations to date at the end and how Tremaine Edmunds is the worst player that qualifies to be counted with a grade of 1.96 even worse then AJ Klein.  Now I know these are strictly his evaluations but he's pretty fair and spot on from my reads.  He's to hopefully Emunds  can start to perform at least to how he was playing last seson

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

I guess the thing that's most noticeable for me in the whole article is the season evaluations to date at the end and how Tremaine Edmunds is the worst player that qualifies to be counted with a grade of 1.96 even worse then AJ Klein.  Now I know these are strictly his evaluations but he's pretty fair and spot on from my reads.  He's to hopefully Emunds  can start to perform at least to how he was playing last seson

He has been playing injured the whole season which does not excuse all of his poor play but does suggest that in order for him to start to perform to where he was last season (in the pro bowl, hard to imagine now) he needs to be healthy first. So it’s hard to hope for him to improve without knowing how realistic it is that his shoulder issue improves throughout the 2nd half of the season. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

This is hopefully going to be a good game......if the Bills can limit the mistakes and force one or two they could win this game.  Shoot themselves in the foot like the titans game and it will be a long day.......

I think we'll somewhat contain the Seattle offense but we won't stop it. We just need to slow down Russell. Seattle's defense is bad so there's no excuse for Josh to not put up at least 24. First one to 30 wins. As far as Edmunds goes, I don't want to settle for how he played last year. He's a 1st rounder. He's playing like a 5th rounder. Unless they hide him outside, I just don't see Beane signing him.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has been playing injured the whole season which does not excuse all of his poor play but does suggest that in order for him to start to perform to where he was last season (in the pro bowl, hard to imagine now) he needs to be healthy first. So it’s hard to hope for him to improve without knowing how realistic it is that his shoulder issue improves throughout the 2nd half of the season. 

Well, he seemed to be making bigger hits again against the Pats so hopefully his injury is mostly resolved.

On the other hand, this entire season he seems out of position on many plays because he is peeking in the backfield all the time ball watching and biting on play fakes.  Then he figures out where he's supposed to be and uses his quicks to try and get there but often the ball has beaten him and he's hopelessly behind or actually gets there with too much momentum and overruns the ball.

Can someone explain to me what this behavior has to do with his injury?

This is an interesting example of how our off-season expectations can differ markedly from reality. I think we all expected our defense to be at least as good as it was last year. Certain positions seemed upgraded, while others had more time in the same system and would automatically be better. None of us predicted Edmunds would regress this year, even if much of it is due to the injury. Same with Taron.

Same with the offense and someone like Spain. There are always surprises, both good and bad, none of which are predictable.

25 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Well, he seemed to be making bigger hits again against the Pats so hopefully his injury is mostly resolved.

On the other hand, this entire season he seems out of position on many plays because he is peeking in the backfield all the time ball watching and biting on play fakes.  Then he figures out where he's supposed to be and uses his quicks to try and get there but often the ball has beaten him and he's hopelessly behind or actually gets there with too much momentum and overruns the ball.

Can someone explain to me what this behavior has to do with his injury?

I don’t think it does have to do with his injury, which was why I said the injury does not excuse all of his poor play. 

7 hours ago, warrior9 said:

But @High Football IQ said they just line up in vanilla formations and play defense......... 

Based on his post and football IQ... I'd have to say the film is wrong and Joe B is just spewing non-sense.

How is Joe B spewing non-sense?  Are you saying he is spewing nonsense so @High Football IQ must be an alias?
I do not think Joe B posted on BBMB with rest of asylum inmates.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

How is Joe B spewing non-sense?  Are you saying he is spewing nonsense so @High Football IQ must be an alias?

I think you need to check the batteries in your sarcasm detector

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I believe you just slipped and fell into a Sar Chasm

Joe B. perceives that the Bills are doing some interesting and different things on defense

"High Football IQ" says our D just lines up in vanilla formations 

Therefore ('cuz who could disagree with a High Football IQ?) Joe B must be spewing nonsense

Of course, the foo could be on the other shoet

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

To McClappy's and Frasier's credit, the current injury situation is likely what has prevented replacing and/or keeping the likes of AJ Klein and Taron Johnson off the field who are by far the 2 weakest links on defense right now.

So once we get healthier it's probably safe to assume they will both be benched or at the very least snap counts significantly reduced.

The sad thing is we don't really have the depth at either position TO replace/bench them....especially at linebacker.  

I'm a pretty optimistic guy, and even I have to say Klein has been pretty damn awful.  To think we couldn't even get a bag of footballs, some donuts and a used Samsung Galaxy S4 for him...smh.  Taron IMO has struggled mightily, but I at least have hope that he can work through this slump he's in and turn things around.  This is the same guy last year that was a solid nickel corner for us....

23 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Same

AJ Klein knows what to do and how to do it.  Unfortunately, he's physically incapable of doing it.  Vosean Joseph is fully capable of doing it physically.  He just cant figure out what he's supposed to do,  Darron Lee is a lot like Joseph, but at least has some legit NFL experience under his belt and hopefully has at least some idea what he's supposed to do.

• Like (+1) 1