Can this team please start throwing more screens?

Steptide

Something that drives me nuts. We always here Allen/daboll/McDermott talk about how each week is different, and I get that. However, they rarely run screens which can destroy a defense. I believe this would open up both the pass and run game if they did this more. Singletery and moss, even beasley would be perfect to run screens. Just don't understand why they don't do it more 

• Like (+1) 2

One reason we might not be the best screen team is because teams have to stay home with Josh’s ability to run and make plays when he gets pressure.  If I was a defensive coordinator I’d stay home and make Josh beat me from the pocket.  Screens work best when the defensive linemen and linebackers get caught upfield.  

• Like (+1) 3

I wouldn’t mind more WR screens when teams are playing off guys to give Allen more easy throws and allow our WRs to make a play.  

The RB screen game is something you call when teams get aggressive bringing pressure.   Lately, all we’ve seen is 2-deep coverage zone, keeping everything in front of the defense.  

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn’t mind more WR screens when teams are playing off guys to give Allen more easy throws and allow our WRs to make a play.  

The RB screen game is something you call when teams get aggressive bringing pressure.   Lately, all we’ve seen is 2-deep coverage zone, keeping everything in front of the defense.  

Agreed. This post answers the OP question

How dependent is the screen game on the olines ability to run and executive it? Maybe our line isn't athletic enough 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

One reason we might not be the best screen team is because teams have to stay home with Josh’s ability to run and make plays when he gets pressure.  If I was a defensive coordinator I’d stay home and make Josh beat me from the pocket.  Screens work best when the defensive linemen and linebackers get caught upfield.  

Screens seem to work fine for the chiefs and Mahomes can run as well

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

How dependent is the screen game on the olines ability to run and executive it? Maybe our line isn't athletic enough 

Bingo.

And with the constant shuffling the interior of the OLine has been dealing with (and will be going forward), co-ordinating it successfully is a huge problem.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Something that drives me nuts. We always here Allen/daboll/McDermott talk about how each week is different, and I get that. However, they rarely run screens which can destroy a defense. I believe this would open up both the pass and run game if they did this more. Singletery and moss, even beasley would be perfect to run screens. Just don't understand why they don't do it more 

They checked to a couple WR screens when NE played off coverage.  RB/TE screens aren't that popular against NE since they focus on rush depth and try not to get too wide.  

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has been running Screens all year and pretty effective too.  

Not going to see them Sunday when you are seeing 7 DBs and a muddle pass rush (to contain Josh's legs)

see I would think screens against 6-7 DBs might be a way to go. WRs and TEs and pulling guards can block little  DBs pretty nicely.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

see I would think screens against 6-7 DBs might be a way to go. WRs and TEs and pulling ends can block little  DBs pretty nicely 

They did it when they played off coverage a few times.  The Brown one was a big play where we threw the ball right off the snap and had kroft/bease out in front blocking.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They did it when they played off coverage a few times.  The Brown one was a big play where we threw the ball right off the snap and had kroft/bease out in front blocking.

yeah, it worked well right?  Josh can get it out there quickly too. 

hope to see it more. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

The screen to smoke worked out really well for them yesterday. But I do agree they should at least be attempting 3-4 a game. 

Honestly I don't know why we don't do what Brady used to...if he saw a DB playing 10 yards off he would simply give the WR some type of hand signal, take the snap and then immediately throw it to him for an easy 7-10 yard gain or more if he could break a tackle.

It's the easiest 7 yards you'll ever get with 0 chance of a negative play. The worst that could happen is it is an incomplete pass.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, matter2003 said:

Honestly I don't know why we don't do what Brady used to...if he saw a DB playing 10 yards off he would simply give the WR some type of hand signal, take the snap and then immediately throw it to him for an easy 7-10 yard gain or more if he could break a tackle.

It's the easiest 7 yards you'll ever get.

They were able to run a lot of screens to RBs/TEs too because brady is a statue as well.  Teams don't worry about losing contain and rush depth.  

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

see I would think screens against 6-7 DBs might be a way to go. WRs and TEs and pulling guards can block little  DBs pretty nicely.

So wasnt Running.  This was a great game plan with the Run and one that might finally spark their ability to run the ball and get teams out of the tampa 2 shell.  

In BB Fashion.  Take out the No 1 option force a team to win in a manner they have struggled.  For the Bills that is Running the football.  

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We were effective at screens during the first and maybe second game this year. Then we reverted to the normal Bills inept screen game that has plagued this team for 20 straight years. 

Were you asleep for the entire Chan Gailey era? 

We were one of the best screen teams in the league with Jackson and Spiller. One of the very few strengths of that era 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Agreed on all accounts

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I understand exactly how you feel.  They have faced a lot of zone pass coverage and that makes screen passes harder to pull off.  They did have a nice wide receiver screen to John Brown that went for 21 yards but they never tried another one after that.  I guess since NE played seven DB's for most of the game, Dabol wanted to push the running game.

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Were you asleep for the entire Chan Gailey era? 

We were one of the best screen teams in the league with Jackson and Spiller. One of the very few strengths of that era 

we were better then, for sure. But we still struggled. It was timing issues, most of the time.