Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Don’t make his poor parents pay for his inequities. They already have to live with him in the basement.

no.   i think they need to learn a lesson too.  they created it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Most of that portion of the trip would be through Ohio, so it doesnt really matter if I take anything out.

Back in June I drove up from Austin back to Buffalo. Arkansas and Ohio were rough, boring drives. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Dianna Russini on ESPN said titans and bills players are told they might play the game monday or tuesday (IF THE POSITIVE TESTS DISSAPEAR IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS), in which case the Bills/Chiefs game gets moved to Saturday night (NFL wants it on a non football day to generate revenue for themselves and FOX)

I called it.  ;)

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really? 

However, the law is more famous for helping to set the NFL broadcasting schedule. To protect fans of college and high school football, Congress also approved language that barred professional games on Fridays and Saturdays during the schools' seasons. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really? 

I'll post it again, since this is such a big thread and you'll never find it any other way...

Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays "beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December."

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really? 

The NFL has some kind of deal with the NCAA not to play on Saturday, at least until the NCAA regular season games.  I don't know if they have a written contract to that effect - maybe it's just a gentleman's agreement.   It's also why there isn't Friday night NFL football - the league does it to protect high school football.  

Really? 

Yes, as mentioned by @Forward Progress

The sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 effectively outlaws NFL games on Friday or Saturday. 

" It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles (120 km) of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter32&edition=prelim

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really? 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/broadcast-games-saturdays-nfl-permission-us-government-big-ten.html

An anti-trust law was passed in 1961 which outlaws the NFL from broadcasting on friday-saturday night so that high school and college can show their games. The NFL COULD, and would likely be granted, seek a waiver/permission to work around that rule due to COVID. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Back in June I drove up from Austin back to Buffalo. Arkansas and Ohio were rough, boring drives. 

Ive made this Atlanta-Buffalo trip too many times, and Ohio is the worst part. Just sooo long, and the worst drivers of the 6 states.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

The NFL isn't allowed to play games on Saturday's in accordance with the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December.

That both incredibly useful and oddly specific information to have. 

Go Bills!

Just now, Forward Progress said:

I'll post it again, since this is such a big thread and you'll never find it any other way...

Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays "beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December."

Wow.  Thanks for this.  I didn't know it was an actual law.  

At this point it's really silly they haven't announced postponement of the game Sunday.  The NFL must be waiting to announce it until they have decided upon the penalties, but in fairness to both teams (particularly the Bills) they need to let them know so preparations can shift to KC.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Forward Progress said:

I still see it happening Saturday. There are always ways around things like this. NFL very well may have to pay out to the NCAA for the rights to air one game. But that would be money well spent if it means keeping the schedule in tact.