Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Move it to week 18, but make it a Bills home game to “punish” the dummy Titans

Hell by then, who are the Titans gonna dress? Those boys spent the last 2 weeks passing around the virus, before week 18 gets here, the CDC will end up quarantining the whole team

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Back in June I drove up from Austin back to Buffalo. Arkansas and Ohio were rough, boring drives. 

I have done the central Texas to WNY many times.  Pine trees and Arkansas and flat fields in Ohio.  Both boring in their own ways.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Saturday thing has already been debunked. The NFL can not legally play games on a Saturday, 

I think it's more a gentlemen's agreement than a law.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I have not.

Is having foresight and doing some contingency planning a difficult thing, when a few billion $ are on the line?

Can be.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not sure I agree.  I do think the NFL should have been more proactive in schedule building, but I don't think they necessarily can be faulted for one team basically going rogue and becoming an absolute dumpster fire. 

Take the Titans out of the equation, and I think the protocols have gone pretty well so far.  No games missed and the Falcons, Vikings, Chiefs and Pats are displaying hope that this can be mitigated.

The NFL was hamstrung by the NFLPA.  They had to agree to any changes and the NFLPA refused the bubble concept and refused adding weeks without adding pay. 

It appears they did make an agreement that the NFL would have some flexibility if needed to push back the playoffs if needed for emergency use, but without adding a paycheck for additional weeks of service - they did not want it scheduled that way.

There were several NFL proposals on schedule adjustments and basically in the end the decision that they could agree to was keep the schedule as is and have an emergency use if needed.  Part of it is greed by both sides - as every change required negotiations- but they had already seen that the baseball protocols worked when followed and I believe they were confident that the protocols in the NFL would work when followed.

So far I agree - that seems to be the case (minus the Titans - who screwed everything up and are still screwing up).

• Like (+1) 1

I'm seeing some say players will get paid, and some saying they won't get paid if the game is a forfeit.  I have an easy solution if they're not supposed to be paid - fine the Titans each an extra game check and distribute it to the Bills players.

I know this isn't going to happen, but it should. 

Pure speculation, but it feels the NFL is going to hold out hope that the Titans have no positives after today and can play Sunday.  I don't think they, or the NFLPA, care too much about whether the Titans can have their practice time after what they're putting the league through.

If they have more positives, I think the NFL pushes Bills/Chiefs to Sunday and (maybe) takes a Sunday game to move up to TNF.  That gives them wiggle room to have Bills/Titans on Monday or Tuesday.

It doesn't seem like forfeiting is on the table at the moment.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just spit balling here. I don’t love the week 18, before the playoff, make up games either. 

Could or would the league start cancelling out of conference games to make up conference games. So in this situation on 11/8 we play Seattle and Tennessee plays the Bears. Drop the NFC opponents and sub in the conference games.

Makes playoff seeding easy without having to worry about total games played. If there is dire need for seedlings to play BUF vs. SEA they can play week 18. Or if both teams agree, they take the bye and go to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Pure speculation, but it feels the NFL is going to hold out hope that the Titans have no positives after today and can play Sunday.  I don't think they, or the NFLPA, care too much about whether the Titans can have their practice time after what they're putting the league through.

If they have more positives, I think the NFL pushes Bills/Chiefs to Sunday and takes a Sunday game to move up to TNF.  That gives them wiggle room to have Bills/Titans on Monday or Tuesday.

wait a minute first they said it be unlikely if they had positives yesterdag.. then today.. now tomorrow? no this game gooses are cooked

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they have more positives, I think the NFL pushes Bills/Chiefs to Sunday and (maybe) takes a Sunday game to move up to TNF.  That gives them wiggle room to have Bills/Titans on Monday or Tuesday.

Are you the fly from the debate who has now moved to Goodell’s  house?!!

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they have more positives, I think the NFL pushes Bills/Chiefs to Sunday and takes a Sunday game to move up to TNF.  That gives them wiggle room to have Bills/Titans on Monday or Tuesday.

They can't move it to Sunday though because that screws the network out of a prime time game. Or at least thats the impression I get. All about the $$$$.

11 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

send the entire team in isolation including any infected staff and hire replacements.. i know i know i watch to many movies....

I actually said that same thing yesterday but my thread got locked.

As crazy as it sounds, the entire league played with replacement players in 1987 for several weeks. 

An entire NFL filled with guys off the streets for over a month. You never hear about that year's Super Bowl "not counting." Why is it so nuts to do it for a team here and there for a week, in the middle of an unprecedented "global situation" (some of us have to avoid that word). 

Also, Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL radio was recently talking about a league-wide practice squad with some ex NFL coaches working them out in practice and keeping them ready to play. Any team could grab as many players as possible from this squad to keep the games going. My version was only a step further, with an entire team.

I guess the mods locked my thread because I mentioned what I guess we have to call the non-specific novel respiratory/multi-symptom illness on this board, except when we don't. But the idea of having a league wide practice squad of replacement players for let's say "non-injury related issues" has been floated by many people who cover the league.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Ok so 22 of 53 players tested positive for covid. Then you got that brain dead moron Tannehill, their own starting QB, ignoring both the league and Troy Vincent. So from that, I'm assuming they won't even entertain the notion of letting him play, or any of the others that were there, including AJ Brown. And in the midst of all this, forcing the Bills to play in a possibly contaminated area? I can't see this game happening

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Ok so 22 of 53 players tested positive for covid. Then you got that brain dead moron Tannehill, their own starting QB, ignoring both the league and Troy Vincent. So from that, I'm assuming they won't even entertain the notion of letting him play, or any of the others that were there, including AJ Brown. And in the midst of all this, forcing the Bills to play in a possibly contaminated area? I can't see this game happening

the 22 includes staff. Right now I think they have like 10 or so players on the covid list. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

wait a minute first they said it be unlikely if they had positives yesterdag.. then today.. now tomorrow? no this game gooses are cooked

If the game was cooked, the league would have issued a statement by now after we got another positive from the Titans today. 

Clearly they did not make the determination that A = B or we'd have something from the league by now.  

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

your right its a stupid notion.

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

They can't move it to Sunday though because that screws the network out of a prime time game. Or at least thats the impression I get. All about the $$$$.

If they can move games back, i'm sure they can move a game forward.  It's obviously not ideal, but I don't see why they couldn't take a Sunday game and move it up to Thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, wjag said:

So now we have to wait for no positive tests through Saturday before we know when the game will potentially be played.  If they test positive today (results Friday), then that means no earlier than Monday.  If they test positive on Friday (results on Saturday), then the game shifts to Tuesday.  If they test positive on Saturday (results Sunday), then Tuesday is off.  This drama is going to hold the league hostage all weekend.

Pretty much