Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I continue to believe that they’ll suspend the game and move on—make it up in a week 18 if necessary.

It buys them time to decide what to do about the Titans, the missed game checks, a potential forfeit, etc. while not messing up the schedule 

This.  I fully expect them to add another week (or more if needed) at the end of the season.  

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I continue to believe that they’ll suspend the game and move on—make it up in a week 18 if necessary.

It buys them time to decide what to do about the Titans, the missed game checks, a potential forfeit, etc. while not messing up the schedule 

I would go with the Monday option and they play Friday or Saturday if needed or even a double header on Monday again. But of course that assume the Titans can stop testing positive for a consecutive days.

11 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm genuinely embarrassed for the NFL. 

Here we are in October, in a pandemic, and they've had the benefit of seeing the other 3 major sports leagues resume seasons & all of the issues that can come up.

And they're still in a mode where people have no idea what they're going to do to respond to one team breaking protocol & having multiple cases.

There should be no doubt at this point.  If x happens, we do y.   Instead, it's all kinds of speculation, no uniform policy, no set guidelines & no flexibility built into the schedule to accommodate unpredictable events & outbreaks. 

Their entire COVID plan centered around wishful thinking.

Not sure I agree.  I do think the NFL should have been more proactive in schedule building, but I don't think they necessarily can be faulted for one team basically going rogue and becoming an absolute dumpster fire. 

Take the Titans out of the equation, and I think the protocols have gone pretty well so far.  No games missed and the Falcons, Vikings, Chiefs and Pats are displaying hope that this can be mitigated.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Hockey played a tournament in 2 cities and NBA in one....nothing resembling a regular season. Baseball had issues with a few teams when they restarted

True, but the NFL approached this whole thing from a position of maximum profitability - they weren't realistic about the situation and did no contingency planning (at least any that I can see).

It shouldn't be a full season. They should have reduced it down to 12 or 14 games, built in extra bye weeks & more time at the end of the season for make-ups.  There should be set thresholds for teams that have outbreaks:  if x # of players get infected, the game goes on as scheduled, but if it exceeds that #, we postpone/reschedule.  There should be more clear rules on the protocols and exactly what the consequences are for teams who break them.

This is a multi-billion $ industry.  This has been completely mismanaged, imo.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't want a forfeit for various reasons - the biggest one being i know we win - with the current state of the team and about 70% confident if the Titans were at full strength (excluding current non-covid injuries).

make them frankenstein a team; all current COVID listees and those that have been in contact since the facility closure are out.  if they have to have the punter on the OL so be it.  let Buffalo go in there and take their frustrations out on them, drop a 50 burger, just run up the score just thoroughly embarrass them.

they know who's been clean for the last 10 days by their consistent negative tests, they have proximity data, the non-sanctioned player gatherings? those players are out.

make them put whatever they can muster on the field ensuring a high confidence safe zone and let the Bills play a 1st game preseason team and just have their way.

after that punish them to the level of stupidity, belligerence and arrogance they've exuded the last 3 weeks in the form of draft picks (multiple years, make this sting), fines, coaching suspensions, anything... just anything.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They are doing everything they can to get games in.

Does it suck - maybe, but other options screw other teams.  I am trying to look at the big picture and recognize - the NFL has a protocol in place that obviously works when followed.

You have 1 team (one less than in baseball) that decided not to follow the protocol.

The league is looking for every option they can - the fairest thing is to get the game in, but in doing that it screws the Bills.  Not playing the game this week potentially screws the Bills later and a forfeit screws other teams (and doubly the Chiefs).  

Something to keep in mind is the league and Fox may have some motivation to move the chiefs game off of TNF because the 2nd presidential debate is that night... which could impact their ratings. I’m sure they prefer standalone game on Saturday but if they can’t, i wonder about a 4:25 national game on Sunday or even a SNF doubleheader of 7:00/9:00 like they did on Monday. Just a thought 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, TroutDog said:

You can just close your eyes through Arkansas. 

I fell asleep for a good 40-50 miles at least once. 

Arkansas also had the distinction of having the worst rest stop I've even been to...was traveling with my dogs. At least they seemed to enjoy the open sewer smell it had. 

I may be in the minority but I definitely don’t want a forfeit. Isn’t point differential a playoff tie breaker (albeit one of the lower tier tie breakers)?  If we win a forfeit the score is like 2-0 or something. Numbers on all levels will be effected including any bid for Josh Allen as an MVP candidate, players bonus incentives, etc. This game gets played in my opinion no matter how they pretend it’s going to go. My guess is Monday or Tuesday. 

13 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm genuinely embarrassed for the NFL. 

Here we are in October, in a pandemic, and they've had the benefit of seeing the other 3 major sports leagues resume seasons & all of the issues that can come up.

And they're still in a mode where people have no idea what they're going to do to respond to one team breaking protocol & having multiple cases.

There should be no doubt at this point.  If x happens, we do y.   Instead, it's all kinds of speculation, no uniform policy, no set guidelines & no flexibility built into the schedule to accommodate unpredictable events & outbreaks. 

Their entire COVID plan centered around wishful thinking.

Ever run a business?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I fell asleep for a good 40-50 miles at least once. 

Arkansas also had the distinction of having the worst rest stop I've even been to...was traveling with my dogs. At least they seemed to enjoy the open sewer smell it had. 

Ha! That’s my memory of it, as well. I’ve only been once and there is a reason for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fred Slacks said:

I may be in the minority but I definitely don’t want a forfeit. Isn’t point differential a playoff tie breaker (albeit one of the lower tier tie breakers)?  If we win a forfeit the score is like 2-0 or something. Numbers on all levels will be effected including any bid for Josh Allen as an MVP candidate, players bonus incentives, etc. This game gets played in my opinion no matter how they pretend it’s going to go. My guess is Monday or Tuesday. 

I don’t think any of us prefer a forfeit; I do think that Tennessee deserves to forfeit for their negligence.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Fred Slacks said:

I honestly think the forfeit won’t happen. Nflpa signed off On no game checks with a cancellation but not on forfeiture. And reports are players on both sides won’t get paid if forfeited. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1