Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, as mentioned by @Forward Progress

The sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 effectively outlaws NFL games on Friday or Saturday. 

" It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles (120 km) of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter32&edition=prelim

You really think the NCAA is going to say "screw you NFL, find a different day during this pandemic"? If the NFL wants to play Saturday they will reach an agreement. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm genuinely embarrassed for the NFL. 

Here we are in October, in a pandemic, and they've had the benefit of seeing the other 3 major sports leagues resume seasons & all of the issues that can come up.

And they're still in a mode where people have no idea what they're going to do to respond to one team breaking protocol & having multiple cases.

There should be no doubt at this point.  If x happens, we do y.   Instead, it's all kinds of speculation, no uniform policy, no set guidelines & no flexibility built into the schedule to accommodate unpredictable events & outbreaks. 

Their entire COVID plan centered around wishful thinking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I'll post it again, since this is such a big thread and you'll never find it any other way...

Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays "beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December."

Interesting - I knew it usually happened that way but didn’t know it was a law. If that’s the case, why is it being discussed? *I ask into the echo chamber, since no one knows*

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Success said:

Here we are in October, in a pandemic, and they've had the benefit of seeing the other 3 major sports leagues resume seasons & all of the issues that can come up.

And they're still in a mode where people have no idea what they're going to do to respond to one team breaking protocol & having multiple cases.

There should be no doubt at this point.  If x happens, we do y.   Instead, it's all kinds of speculation, no uniform policy, no set guidelines & no flexibility built into the schedule to accommodate unpredictable events & outbreaks. 

I still struggle to blame the NFL for one team flipping them off and saying “we got this B word” 

I guess the proof will be in the pudding of punishment as to whether they’re going to allow this to derail the season. 

6 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I'll post it again, since this is such a big thread and you'll never find it any other way...

Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays "beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December."

Curious if that includes Sunday Ticket since that becomes almost like PPV. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/broadcast-games-saturdays-nfl-permission-us-government-big-ten.html

An anti-trust law was passed in 1961 which outlaws the NFL from broadcasting on friday-saturday night so that high school and college can show their games. The NFL COULD, and would likely be granted, seek a waiver/permission to work around that rule due to COVID. 

I believe, FCC only applies to broadcast over airwaves, meaning not cable, meaning non the NFL Network. That's why the FCC cannot fine a cable network for broadcasting swear words or nudity. I may be incorrect, of course, given the NFL does use ***** airwaves for most of their other games.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I still see it happening Saturday. There are always ways around things like this. NFL very well may have to pay out to the NCAA for the rights to air one game. But that would be money well spent if it means keeping the schedule in tact.

to your point maybe? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

"Exceptions[edit]

This portion of the act has since been partially circumvented; the NFL extended its season in 1978 to allow a few weeks of Friday night or Saturday games if the league so wished. Late-season Saturday games have been common since then, but Friday night games are still extremely rare; the league has played only eight Friday games since 1978, mostly because of the NFL's restrictions during Christmas. In 2005, a Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs matchup, scheduled for Sunday, October 23 in Miami, was moved up to 7pm Friday night due to Hurricane Wilma. The game was televised only within 75 miles of Miami and Kansas City.[4][5][6]"

13 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I hope you keep this opinion up when they decide to ***** the bills over and move our chiefs game to Saturday and titans game to Monday or Tuesday, basically giving us a massive disadvantage in both games 

They are doing everything they can to get games in.

Does it suck - maybe, but other options screw other teams.  I am trying to look at the big picture and recognize - the NFL has a protocol in place that obviously works when followed.

You have 1 team (one less than in baseball) that decided not to follow the protocol.

The league is looking for every option they can - the fairest thing is to get the game in, but in doing that it screws the Bills.  Not playing the game this week potentially screws the Bills later and a forfeit screws other teams (and doubly the Chiefs).  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Hockey played a tournament in 2 cities and NBA in one....nothing resembling a regular season. Baseball had issues with a few teams when they restarted

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You really think the NCAA is going to say "screw you NFL, find a different day during this pandemic"? If the NFL wants to play Saturday they will reach an agreement. 

The NCAA doesn't get to give them permission. It would require congress to act. Good luck with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

The NCAA doesn't get to give them permission. It would require congress to act. Good luck with that. 

I still say it would happen if the NFL wants it to. Money talks. And cities and schools are not exactly flush with money right now. Again, any normal year, I would 100% agree with you. Not during a pandemic.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I continue to believe that they’ll suspend the game and move on—make it up in a week 18 if necessary.

It buys them time to decide what to do about the Titans, the missed game checks, a potential forfeit, etc. while not messing up the schedule 

Right and consider we have no idea if they will even be able to play next week, either. 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I continue to believe that they’ll suspend the game and move on—make it up in a week 18 if necessary.

It buys them time to decide what to do about the Titans, the missed game checks, a potential forfeit, etc. while not messing up the schedule 

I think this a very likely option but I think the NFL is going to wait until tomorrow to see if they start getting negative tests from the Titans again - so they can force the game to be played monday or tuesday. Stringing it along