Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again - you are blaming the NFL for something they alone could not approve.  The NFLPA would have to agree to any schedule changes and the NFLPA refused bubbling and refused to give back money for a shorter season.  They also rejected adding bye weeks without adding another week of pay.  

In the end the easiest agreement was keeping things the same.  Some of that is greed and some is waiting for guidance from the Federal Level that never came.  They did not want agreements in place that then got overwritten by federal guidelines.

I think it was very difficult to put exact numbers in place - it was always going to be based upon their infectious disease guideline expert.  They planned and expected to have to postpone games around testing.  They identified that travel (airplane/bus) were the 2 biggest risk factors to transmission (much higher than game play) and therefore - like the Pats game - it wasn’t Cam’s positive that delayed anything - it was needed Int to do contract tracing and determine who were higher risk exposures.  Then determining how to transport them safely without infecting others.

The protocols were fairly clear and appear to work - the idea - much like baseball was always based upon the players following it.  When they don’t bad things happen.  The problem was for breaking protocol- the league was not given permission to penalize the players - it comes from the teams.  The NFL can fine teams and coaches, but it is the teams job to punish the players.  

The agreements make it difficult for the league to do everything they would want.

That's fair, and you're right - I'm not taking much of that into consideration.

It's just frustrating for me as a fan. From the outside, it seems like they're just making it up as they go along, and hoping for the best.  But I'm sure there is a ton that goes into it that makes things more complicated than I'm allowing for.

I guess one positive of the game possibly moving to Tuesday and Chiefs to Saturday is 2 night games for the Bills. 

It just seems strange that there's such a major outbreak on the Titans all at once, when other teams have a player here or there. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

The game should have already been cancelled.  The delay to make this decision is sad. The NFL and NFLPA are trumpeting player safety during this pandemic but don't appear to be practicing what they preach in this situation. The Titans continue to test positive day after day.  It's disgusting how far the NFL will go for a dollar. 

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

You would think some kind of exemption or special accommodations could be made considering covid19 unprecedented situation

check out the wikipedia page. an exemption occurred due to Hurricane Wilma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

Edited by Nineforty
the singular
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diana Russini tweeted out that she's been told by Bills and Titans players that if the game can't be played Sunday, they could play Monday or Tuesday, with the Bills/Chiefs moved to Saturday.  Nothing concrete, but they've clearly been floated this idea from somewhere.

29 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The sports broadcasting act of 1961. It's been mentioned several times in this thread. 

This section?  "The law has been interpreted to include the so-called "blackout rules" which protect a home team from competing games broadcast into its home territory on a day when it is playing a game at home, and from having to broadcast games within its home market area that have not sold out. It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles (120 km) of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October. "

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not true - the NFL stated they actual have an agreement with the TB stadium for every Sunday in February and have the ability to shift back the season up to 4 weeks, but they are for emergency use only - the NFLPA did not agree changes to the schedule or additional bye weeks.

The biggest problem with a pause right now is that this might not be the apex of the virus for the fall.  So if they pause for a couple of weeks - they still have to try to get the 16 games in and now you are left with only 2 potential emergency weeks.  The NFL would like to hold onto the weeks if needed because if things get worse - they run out of options.

I hadn't seen that. Not that I think you are wrong, but I didn't see it with a quick "Tampa Super Bowl weekend" google. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is confused.

It's "stand and deliver" time for the doctors in charge of the NFL's infection control plan.  With positive tests continuing and with confirmation that the Titans met at least once outside the facility (thus further exposure), are they truly so very confident that 2 days of negative tests would mean the Titans are clear?   If they are placing Bills coaches and players at risk of infection...Bills could then become infectious JUST IN TIME to play the league darling Chiefs.

There must be a giant collision between "we must keep the schedule going and the revenue flowing in!  don't cancel!" with "consider the consequences if we don't cut this off here, with one team"

Gilmore was already hugging on Kermit!!

2 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

check out the wikipedia page. exemptions have occurred due to things like hurricanes. 

But it says "In 2005, a Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs matchup, scheduled for Sunday, October 23 in Miami, was moved up to 7pm Friday night due to Hurricane Wilma. The game was televised only within 75 miles of Miami and Kansas City.[4][5][6]"

The NFL is not gonna see a prime-time Thurs nite game between two top teams likely to bring in ratings flutter away on the wind in favor of a broadcast within 75 miles of Buffalo and Kansas City.

8 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

It appears this may not be true. It looks like the NFL negotiated SB for any weekend in Feb.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/04/27/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-schedule.aspx

“Specific conversations have occurred with Tampa hosts about delaying the Super Bowl by one week to Feb. 14, but a source said the last two weeks of February are in play as well.“

Thank you Si!  Did not see that. I could not find it with a quick google either. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

From the updates topic heading, it appears that there were 2 more positive tests today?

that definitely means the game is off on Sunday. 

if I were the NFL, I would say, “game postponed indefinitely.” They can figure out later whether they can squeeze it in or whether they want to call a forfeit. 

There was one new one today and then they confirmed a positive that had originally been counted yesterday but needed rerun 

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Gilmore was already hugging on Kermit!!

The NFL doesn't apparently consider that bro hug a close contact.  They could, of course, be mistaken.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It can be moved. The Thursday night game will be moved to Saturday 

Is that confirmed it can happen?  Broadcast Act of 1961 etc?