Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If the game was cooked, the league would have issued a statement by now after we got another positive from the Titans today. 

Clearly they did not make the determination that A = B or we'd have something from the league by now.  

they didnt cancel the titans pits game till mid afternoon

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

the 22 includes staff. Right now I think they have like 10 or so players on the covid list. 

Oh ok, I thought it was players. Funny thing tho, if this game is played out, the most interesting thing to watch will be Norman and Lewan

If I’m the Bills I refuse to play a team this weekend that had so many test positive over the past week.  And while I’d rather get the W on the field I think the Titans should have to forfeit.  They are the ones who decided to violate protocols and caused the game to be cancelled (I presume it will be), so they should have to pay the cost.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The NFL was hamstrung by the NFLPA.  They had to agree to any changes and the NFLPA refused the bubble concept and refused adding weeks without adding pay. 

It appears they did make an agreement that the NFL would have some flexibility if needed to push back the playoffs if needed for emergency use, but without adding a paycheck for additional weeks of service - they did not want it scheduled that way.

There were several NFL proposals on schedule adjustments and basically in the end the decision that they could agree to was keep the schedule as is and have an emergency use if needed.  Part of it is greed by both sides - as every change required negotiations- but they had already seen that the baseball protocols worked when followed and I believe they were confident that the protocols in the NFL would work when followed.

So far I agree - that seems to be the case (minus the Titans - who screwed everything up and are still screwing up).

I believe part of the scheduling issue was due to Tampa not being willing or able to change SB weekend. At the time, I think people, and Florida especially, thought we would be well back to normal come February and that meant everything else on the calendar would box that weekend in. 

What the league could do is pause, build in bye weeks. Then treat the SB like a normal playoff game. Top seed gets the home field. Push the existing SB contracts back a year. 

Or they could just keep beating their head against the wall and keep reshuffling the deck chairs and hope they get everybody to play 16 games and the playoffs go off without getting wonky. 

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

they didnt cancel the titans pits game till mid afternoon

That was unprecedented though, and they were able to postpone.   

We now have precedent, and they don't have the luxury of just re-arranging bye weeks.

The excuses from the players who practiced offsite about whether or not they knew it wasn't permitted are absurd.

You don't need a notice from the league or your coach to tell you that if, due to positive COVID tests on the team you can't practice in your highly controlled and sanitized team facility, it's beyond stupid to practice offsite, in a non-controlled space - for your own safety and for the safety of the other people who use that space.

It's like they are in high school trying to get away with breaking arbitrary rules by the adults rather than equal participants in a community trying to figure out how best to navigate a very difficult situation together.

I'm not in favor of a forfeit for all sorts or reasons. But those players should all be suspended for several games.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The sports broadcasting act of 1961. It's been mentioned several times in this thread. 

Well one thing we've learned the past few years is rules only matter if someone is willing to enforce them with consequences. The NFL could easily claim extenuating circumstances.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Or they could just keep beating their head against the wall and keep reshuffling the deck chairs and hope they get everybody to play 16 games and the playoffs go off without getting wonky. 

It's going to be this. They seem to dedicated to the putting off the tougher decisions as long as possible hoping that things even themselves out. 

Hope tends to be a bad strategy for success though. 

12 minutes ago, Success said:

True, but the NFL approached this whole thing from a position of maximum profitability - they weren't realistic about the situation and did no contingency planning (at least any that I can see).

It shouldn't be a full season. They should have reduced it down to 12 or 14 games, built in extra bye weeks & more time at the end of the season for make-ups.  There should be set thresholds for teams that have outbreaks:  if x # of players get infected, the game goes on as scheduled, but if it exceeds that #, we postpone/reschedule.  There should be more clear rules on the protocols and exactly what the consequences are for teams who break them.

This is a multi-billion $ industry.  This has been completely mismanaged, imo.

Again - you are blaming the NFL for something they alone could not approve.  The NFLPA would have to agree to any schedule changes and the NFLPA refused bubbling and refused to give back money for a shorter season.  They also rejected adding bye weeks without adding another week of pay.  

In the end the easiest agreement was keeping things the same.  Some of that is greed and some is waiting for guidance from the Federal Level that never came.  They did not want agreements in place that then got overwritten by federal guidelines.

I think it was very difficult to put exact numbers in place - it was always going to be based upon their infectious disease guideline expert.  They planned and expected to have to postpone games around testing.  They identified that travel (airplane/bus) were the 2 biggest risk factors to transmission (much higher than game play) and therefore - like the Pats game - it wasn’t Cam’s positive that delayed anything - it was needed Int to do contract tracing and determine who were higher risk exposures.  Then determining how to transport them safely without infecting others.

The protocols were fairly clear and appear to work - the idea - much like baseball was always based upon the players following it.  When they don’t bad things happen.  The problem was for breaking protocol- the league was not given permission to penalize the players - it comes from the teams.  The NFL can fine teams and coaches, but it is the teams job to punish the players.  

The agreements make it difficult for the league to do everything they would want.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'm seeing some say players will get paid, and some saying they won't get paid if the game is a forfeit.  I have an easy solution if they're not supposed to be paid - fine the Titans each an extra game check and distribute it to the Bills players.

I know this isn't going to happen, but it should. 

1 minute ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

You don't need a notice from the league or your coach to tell you that if, due to positive COVID tests on the team you can't practice in your highly controlled and sanitized team facility, it's beyond stupid to practice offsite, in a non-controlled space - for your own safety and for the safety of the other people who use that space.

The league sent a memo to the titans. If the titans failed to inform the players...well ignorance of the law is not a defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Again - you are blaming the NFL for something they alone could not approve.  The NFLPA would have to agree to any schedule changes and the NFLPA refused bubbling and refused to give back money for a shorter season.  They also rejected adding bye weeks without adding another week of pay. 

Do the players get paid for a bye week?  I always thought not.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I believe part of the scheduling issue was due to Tampa not being willing or able to change SB weekend. At the time, I think people, and Florida especially, thought we would be well back to normal come February and that meant everything else on the calendar would box that weekend in. 

What the league could do is pause, build in bye weeks. Then treat the SB like a normal playoff game. Top seed gets the home field. Push the existing SB contracts back a year. 

I'm OK with us winning our first Super Bowl in Orchard Park!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think with the addition of Corey Davis it's up to 11, plus the two confirmed and new test today if either/both are players

I personally would be happy to play the titans with 20% of their roster disqualified. 

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What if they just say today it’s Tuesday. And then whatever the titans have, they have? Gives them a few days to get their game day roster together?

I think the problem isn’t what the titans have, it’s that the virus is still showing up in new spots. If come Tuesday you’re still getting positives, you can’t assume that the other players are safe to play.

Edited by whatdrought

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What if they just say today it’s Tuesday. And then whatever the titans have, they have? Gives them a few days to get their game day roster together?

The Bills play on Thursday, the game cannot be moved.