Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But is it an option?  The NFL is not gonna trade a prime-time shiny Ferrari for a "can't televise except within 75 miles of the team's cities" 1965 Chevy

https://mobile.twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1314195817671127041

I guess it’s just discussed as an option. Basically everyone is just throwing darts at this point seeing if one sticks 

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Goodell-bot is in a giant pickle here.  Nobody wants a forfeit but if he doesn’t come down hard on titans, it encourages other teams to flout the rules like the Titans and puts entire season in more jeopardy than it already is.  

Not to mention that if the Titans have, in fact, been meeting and practicing all week and exposing each other without oversight and Kinexion contact tracing, they have no idea who was exposed to players now testing positive and might continue to get sick.  So they better be REAL SURE on that "contact within the game is not an infection risk" thing, or they are gonna be risking two of the best AFC teams this season. 

As one of my favorite flight instructors liked to say "Never turn a simple problem into a cluster *****"

Chiefs could be playing 3 games in a 9-10 day span. During the Patriots/Chiefs game they were talking about how the Chiefs had done that before, so it's not unprecedented.

I wonder if that option, while not ideal, could work for the Titans to make up games.

Once they get the outbreak under control, play a Sunday as usual, stick a Thursday night in as the make-up game, and postpone their following Sunday game to Tuesday. Obviously, some other team is going to get stuck playing 3 in 10 as a result, but it's a way to make up games without adding weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I agree with this. A policy of handing the forfeiting team a loss will encourage other teams not to take any chances like the Titans did with their off-campus unofficial practice. 

And also, 5-0 baby!!

I would prefer them receive a forfeiture of a draft pick rather than a loss

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Just fine the Titans organization the amount due to the Bills players and reroute the money that way.  Problem solved.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Roger's influence extends to smacking down a $7.3M fine on the Titans, and I think that's the Bills per-game payroll

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chiefs could be playing 3 games in a 9-10 day span. During the Patriots/Chiefs game they were talking about how the Chiefs had done that before, so it's not unprecedented.

I wonder if that option, while not ideal, could work for the Titans to make up games.

Once they get the outbreak under control, play a Sunday as usual, stick a Thursday night in as the make-up game, and postpone their following Sunday game to Tuesday. Obviously, some other team is going to get stuck playing 3 in 10 as a result, but it's a way to make up games without adding weeks.

Some other team called my Bills?

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not true - the NFL stated they actual have an agreement with the TB stadium for every Sunday in February and have the ability to shift back the season up to 4 weeks, but they are for emergency use only - the NFLPA did not agree changes to the schedule or additional bye weeks.

The biggest problem with a pause right now is that this might not be the apex of the virus for the fall.  So if they pause for a couple of weeks - they still have to try to get the 16 games in and now you are left with only 2 potential emergency weeks.  The NFL would like to hold onto the weeks if needed because if things get worse - they run out of options.

11 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

It appears this may not be true. It looks like the NFL negotiated SB for any weekend in Feb.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/04/27/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-schedule.aspx

“Specific conversations have occurred with Tampa hosts about delaying the Super Bowl by one week to Feb. 14, but a source said the last two weeks of February are in play as well.“

Got it!

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I hadn't seen that. Not that I think you are wrong, but I didn't see it with a quick "Tampa Super Bowl weekend" google. 

Jerry Jones talked about it on NFL Radio and Chris Brown reiterated it on One Bills Live.  Both times in response to people questioning if they have a plan.  

I have not seen anything written about it - except on places like Wikipedia.  I have heard it discussed on the radio multiple times, but always as a last resort.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I like football, and I haven't really paid attention to the ins and outs of all that goes into making decisions in this environment, but it seems to me that the hard-line approach is the only thing that can work:

If a team goes over the limit, the limit being whatever is deemed to be the acceptable level of positive test results, the quarantine rules, etc., the team forfeits the upcoming game.  It isn't rescheduled, it isn't played.  The players don't get paid.  The scheduled opponent gets a win, and the players on the opponent team get paid, because they did all that they could do to play the game.  

This approach has a variety of benefits.  First, it creates an enormous incentive to the players to stay healthy.  Second, it doesn't penalize the teams that stay healthy.  Third, it avoids the secondary unfairness of schedule changes.   Why should the Bills be living this morning with all this uncertainty about their schedule just because the Titans couldn't manage their players and their facility properly?  Why should we be talking about the Titans game moving to Monday night and the Chiefs moving to Saturday?   Fourth, it makes a broader social statement - it says the NFL is deadly serious about controlling the disease - it is willing both to impose forfeits AND to take the economic hit of losing a game to televise.   

What's going on now just makes the NFL's greed more apparent.  They won't cancel games because they don't want to lose the money, so instead they are doing caseoby-case decision making every day, trying to adjust on the fly.  The NFL needs to put their big-boy pants on and take the hit.  

Very well said Mr Shaw, very well said indeed.  100% agree with this post in it's entirety.  Enough with the hesitation/delay, they already know the game Sunday cannot(and will not) happen.  Make the decision that prioritizes the health of the players and the league, put it out there and roll with it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I said for years that I don’t care if the Bills win the super bowl because the rest of the league catches Ebola and has to forfeit the season; I’m not backing off of it now 🤣

Apparently I didn’t say Ebola; I said E. coli:

I also found an instance where I said botulism:

• Haha (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But it says "In 2005, a Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs matchup, scheduled for Sunday, October 23 in Miami, was moved up to 7pm Friday night due to Hurricane Wilma. The game was televised only within 75 miles of Miami and Kansas City.[4][5][6]"

The NFL is not gonna see a prime-time Thurs nite game between two top teams likely to bring in ratings flutter away on the wind in favor of a broadcast within 75 miles of Buffalo and Kansas City.

Fair point as I have no idea how the TV coverage would work.  I just think if the league wanted it on a Friday or Saturday, they would ask for a waiver, and it would be granted by the government. I don't think there is risk of jeopardizing their relationship with college football due to the reasons.

But if the broadcast range was severely limited as precedent seems to suggest, then everything I said is moot I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

From what I understand...the NFL cannot play games on Saturday until the college football season is over, so I don't know how they get around that. 

The whole thing is a disaster, and the Titans bear the responsibility 

They certainly can play a game on Saturday.  It just can't be televised unless they receive an administrative variance from the FCC, which I would expect them to receive given the circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

They can't move it to Sunday though because that screws the network out of a prime time game. Or at least thats the impression I get. All about the $$$$.

Move it to Monday night and do a doubleheader like they did this week

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Roger's influence extends to smacking down a $7.3M fine on the Titans, and I think that's the Bills per-game payroll

Some other team called my Bills?

Unfortunately it would mean the Bills doing that, but the Chiefs have done it in previous seasons, so it can be done. 

If it could be done somehow where the non-Titans team had a bye week following it might not be as bad. 

• Thank you (+1) 1