Postgame Thread: Bills at Raiders

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Allen’s shoulder should be a big worry. He didn’t look right even making some great throws after coming back in. 

Gameday thread, some of you are sickening. I hope it was day drinking before the 4:30 start. But I’m gonna have to bust out the block button you guys are sick in the head. 
4-0, lead the whole game, and you cried like we’re the dang Jets. Control your emotions kids I know you’re not used to being in the elite category 

Spot on. I didn't whole thread (this one), but level of overreaction in GTD is insane. People are acting like kids. After each bad play somebody sucks. Edmunds sucks, Poyer sucks, defense sucks, fire Frazier, I HATE this defense (wtf?), pass rush sucks, White sucks. I think everybody sees that defense is somehow worse than last year but we are also playing better offenses this year. Raiders O came to play. Carr is playing like top7 QB this year and was great yesterday. Yes sometimes tackling is poor, sometimes gaps are missed, sometimes coverage is bad but I don't know why people feel need to express their hate when it is clear that opponent came to play too and we are still winning.

I for one love that even if our defense is not great right now we are winning games. And I really think defense will get better.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Spot on. I didn't whole thread (this one), but level of overreaction in GTD is insane. People are acting like kids. After each bad play somebody sucks. Edmunds sucks, Poyer sucks, defense sucks, fire Frazier, I HATE this defense (wtf?), pass rush sucks, White sucks. I think everybody sees that defense is somehow worse than last year but we are also playing better offenses this year. Raiders O came to play. Carr is playing like top7 QB this year and was great yesterday. Yes sometimes tackling is poor, sometimes gaps are missed, sometimes coverage is bad but I don't know why people feel need to express their hate when it is clear that opponent came to play too and we are still winning.

I for one love that even if our defense is not great right now we are winning games. And I really think defense will get better.

Agreed.  The competition is different this year compared to last years stack of wins.  And it only gets tougher as the season continues....We will be seeing 

Last years comeback player of the year  Tannehill

The super bowl MVP Mahomes 

Current MVP board leader  Russel Wilson

Last years Rookie of the Year Kyler Murray

Garapalo

Ben Rothelisberger

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

no— but it is a risk. It’s a much higher risk because we are contending this year. If this were a rebuilding type year, I would say— absolutely, go for it. But if I were the GM

of this team, I would be looking for a veteran I can trust. Maybe not a guy who can make 55-yard bombs. But someone who is reliable under pressure from under 50 and has experience making pressure kicks.

you have to admit that Bass is not inspiring confidence thus far. I don’t know if McDermott would feel comfortable sending him out now for a long FG attempt, let alone a GW FG attempt. 

At this moment I believe you are making it a bigger deal than it is. 

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

People's expectations are getting ridiculous. Watch the Chiefs or Seahawks or any "elite" team. They all have bad plays. No team is perfect.

• Like (+1) 5

Great win yesterday but I couldn't understand why the Bills would hand it off after they recovered the onside kick. Take a knee 4 times and go home. The famous Giants - Eagles game from 1978 when the Giants ***ed up the end and Herm Edwards scooping the ball up and running it back for a winning TD came to mind. Allen stumbled as well on that handoff which made me really nervous on that play. Anyway great to be 4-0. I know the Bills started 5-0 in 1980 so it would be nice to do it again 40 years later.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen snapped the ball with 17 seconds left. They could have knelt out that last series, even with a time out by the Raiders.

The Bills running the ball with 5:21 - 4th to "eat the clock was bad play calling IMO.  

It didn't kill the Bills but not ideal IMO.   

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Bills running the ball with 5:21 - 4th to "eat the clock was bad play calling IMO.  

It didn't kill the Bills but not ideal IMO.   

I get the reasoning for doing that but between the success passing and the defense struggling, a more aggressive approach was called for.

• SDS unpinned this topic
44 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that is true— it hasn’t made an impact yet. 

that's not my rational, that's yours.  and I would say his misses have definitely had a negative impact. I'm just not ready to give up on a kicker we spent a draft pick on and one that this coaching staff sees every day in practice.

if you want to write off a kicker after his first 4 games, that's your right. I just disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

that's not my rational, that's yours.  and I would say his misses have definitely had a negative impact. I'm just not ready to give up on a kicker we spent a draft pick on and one that this coaching staff sees every day in practice.

if you want to write off a kicker after his first 4 games, that's your right. I just disagree. 

it hasn’t made an impact in the sense he has Not yet lost us a game, or been in a pressure situation. His missed XP yesterday was important obviously, because it made it a 1-score game. 

look— it’s not like I don’t want Bass to work out. I do. It would be awesome if he panned out right away. But it was a risk to draft and go with a rookie kicker this year. Teams like the pats realize that. They drafted a kid, saw he was a little shaky in camp, and immediately went out and got a vet and stashed their rookie on the PS. I am not saying we are there yet— but we may be close. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

and they can never take this away. Case in point, I Still hate Herb Mul-key!🤬

Yes, a 13 pt 2nd half after a 17 pt 1st Half is huge cause for concern -for a bed wetter, anyway..

Agreed and it’s definitely unsettling. If we’re going to allow receivers to run wild in our Secondary, we might as well blitz more and try to stop the pass.

Reported.

I thought so too. Difficult from tv, but he stretched the ball upfield as he was going OOB. Tried to show it -hard.😂 Refs hosed us again as Brown’s catch was clearly in the endzone 🤬

Not understanding all the hate for Bass. Haven’t since it began. What’s dramatically different so far this season is the Offense putting up 30 pts/game. No, he’s hasn’t been perfect, but I think he’s going to fine and reliable when it counts most. He has ‘Want To!’ like many of his teammates. Raidahs score on the KR if he doesn’t make the play.

Yes, 6 points from drives and 7 points off turnover isn’t their norm

15 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m generally pretty positive in regards to the Bills (and any team I work with or am a fan of) when they’re struggling because I believe things come and go from time to time and need to be adjusted. That’s what coaching is for... I think we have a fine coaching staff that is capable of doing that and has shown it. 

But, my point is I’ve been VERY upset with the Bills defense all season  until late this game. They looked unenthusiastic... very much lacked a spark. 
The 4th quarter gave me hope... they were flying around a little bit more, gang tackling a little bit more, and manages to force some turnovers. 

They made a big mistake in doing so... because now I KNOW they are capable of doing it... so I expect that to be the norm moving forward. 

I don't see how one can call it a "big mistake" for a defense to finally DO THEIR JOB and win us the game, which they did.  Strange use of "mistake".

But what I take as your point stands: coaches have now seen that level-up of performance from this group of guys, so we KNOW the hosses we got can actually pull that wagon.  No fair pawing the ground but not budging it for 3Q next week.

I don't really like how the Bills choose to end games, like many others who have noted all of the onside kicks we deal with in games we have 2 score 4th quarter leads. I wish the bend was a little less bendy, etc.

At the same time, have the Bills, in McD's tenure, lost a game because of this? I don't think they have, though I might be forgetful. It seems to work.

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Great shot.  14 is a beast on 50/50 balls.  Have to feel a bit bad for 25.  He did his best to break that up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Apologies if posted already... I found Gruden's comments about our team interesting and entertaining - Gruden Postgame Presser

“Listen, I’m not gonna sit up here and make excuses.  We have injuries, a tough schedule, bad penalties called against us, and that Singleton guy is a good runner.”  ...he said, listing the excuses.

• Haha (+1) 3

The WaPo (not normally kind to Buffalo * but they source the AP) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/bills-remain-undefeated-top-raiders-in-las-vegas-30-23/2020/10/04/4a632808-06a2-11eb-8719-0df159d14794_story.html?outputType=amp

Snippets

LAS VEGAS — Not even a banged-up left shoulder can deter Josh Allen.

Shaking off a second-quarter stinger, Allen threw two touchdowns and rushed for another to lead the Buffalo Bills to a 30-23 victory over the Las Vegas Raiders on Sunday.

it was Allen’s brilliance in the first half, when he finished 15 of 20 with two touchdowns, that set the tone. His 26-yard strike to Gabriel Davis on the opening drive was his 13th TD of the season, surpassing Ryan Fitzpatrick (12) for the most total touchdowns by a Bills player in the first four games of the schedule.

• Like (+1) 2

My favorite Gruden quote "You watch Buffalo’s offense, they do a lot,” Raiders coach Jon Gruden said. “The quarterback can complete passes left-handed. The guy’s a beast standing back there. They got a pretty good attack."

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it hasn’t made an impact in the sense he has Not yet lost us a game, or been in a pressure situation. His missed XP yesterday was important obviously, because it made it a 1-score game. 

look— it’s not like I don’t want Bass to work out. I do. It would be awesome if he panned out right away. But it was a risk to draft and go with a rookie kicker this year. Teams like the pats realize that. They drafted a kid, saw he was a little shaky in camp, and immediately went out and got a vet and stashed their rookie on the PS. I am not saying we are there yet— but we may be close. 

Unlike the Pats rookie, our rookie went out and took the job by whoopin on Haus money, who wasn’t as money as he once was.

they liked the kid enough to use a pick on him + he earned the job.  His leash should be long enough where we shouldn’t be talking about replacing him just yet imo. 

1 hour ago, wjag said:

My favorite Gruden quote "You watch Buffalo’s offense, they do a lot,” Raiders coach Jon Gruden said. “The quarterback can complete passes left-handed. The guy’s a beast standing back there. They got a pretty good attack."

I don’t get it.  

I was sure he used his right hand to pass the ball because he fell on his left side. 

On 10/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hope Josh's shoulder is sound upon further review

This may have made its way somewhere but just a tribute to how tough Josh is:

Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer had no idea Josh Allen was injured.  5:55 into this interview

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/coming-soon-bills-vs-raiders

Check out Hyde's facial expression here.  sidebar question to Po: "what?"

Poyer: "I didn't even know " Hyde: "I had no idea" 

"He was just walking around carrying around like normal Josh, we had no idea"

image.thumb.png.674aa87d039cf2a3f090cf757c8654df.png

image.thumb.png.34046a063e6edf34f922588e51034abb.png

That's some inside look at what it really means to be "locked in"