Brian Daboll is on the hotseat starting TOMORROW

Penfield45

He gets a full pass for 2018  .  We didn't have any talent to work with. 2019 was mediocre and often frustrating.  2020  I think we'll be fine.  If we struggle it will be the O line that is the culprit  .  Pretty confident Josh will be ready to take that next step.

11 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

no more excuses for this guy. It's time to show you can run a top 10 NFL offense. 

We are tired of our offense lagging so far behind the defense, last season I lost count on how many games our defense won while the offense struggled to score a measly 14 points. Terrible gameplans and head scratching play calling all season long. Daboll was constantly putting Allen under immense pressure with his calls, especially in the playoff game. We barely used Singletary to our advantage, hopefully that changes this season. So far in his career Daboll has shown no evidence he can lead a high powered offense in the NFL, that needs to change. 

I agree with this thread. 

Daboll has been underwhelming to say the least. He had better perform this yeae or he's getting canned

36 minutes ago, DJB said:

Daboll has been underwhelming to say the least. He had better perform this yeae or he's getting canned

I get that thought, but I don’t think it’s that simple. People wanted Greg Roman out, but now he’s the OC who led a young QB to MVP and SB favorite.  There are so many factors you have to be able to take them all into account. 

He certainly SHOULD do more with this talent and another year of development. I hope he does. But the people who are not fully satisfied and want to make a change need to look at the bigger picture. Do they have the perfect replacement they know will be a 100% improvement? For the Ravens, it was the guy we wanted to get RID of!

Usually it’s just another best guess. Some better, some worse. I pray he shows enough improvement that continuity looks like the best answer. That’s best for the Bills. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, DJB said:

How will we know that Daboll is the one not performing, as opposed to the players?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I get that thought, but I don’t think it’s that simple. People wanted Greg Roman out, but now he’s the OC who led a young QB to MVP and SB favorite.  There are so many factors you have to be able to take them all into account. 

He certainly SHOULD do more with this talent and another year of development. I hope he does. But the people who are not fully satisfied and want to make a change need to look at the bigger picture. Do they have the perfect replacement they know will be a 100% improvement? For the Ravens, it was the guy we wanted to get RID of!

Usually it’s just another best guess. Some better, some worse. I pray he shows enough improvement that continuity looks like the best answer. That’s best for the Bills. 

Solid rational post. Agreed

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

How will we know that Daboll is the one not performing, as opposed to the players?

Fair question.

I will say that for me, sometimes the play calling looks out-of-sync for down and distance.

But of course that can "beg the question" of whether the play was executed as designed, or whether there was an option or audible that was selected inappropriately.

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Pat DiMarco streaking down the field should never be an option. Another player lined up there and running that route, fine. Call a different play. Sorry, that’s on Daboll to not realize the game situation.  You can break the play down and tell us what happened and why, OR you can have proper personnel on the field to optimize results. You can also call a different play entirely.  

The play worked. The execution is what sucked. Sometimes you have to look on the field not in the booth. That was a good call. 

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing I hope they call more and improve on drastically are screens.  Get Singletary and Moss in open space.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I remember getting a chuckle after they let him go after Ryan's defense gave up 37 to Fitzpatrick for almost 400 yards passing.  It would've been more appropriate to fire his own twin brother.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I knew Roman was a top OC. I was apoplectic when he got fired instead of the brothers grim. I don't think Daboll is on Roman's level, not yet at least. But I do think he did a solid job last year and I think he deserves more credit for Josh's improvement than he gets. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brian Daboll is on the hotseat starting TOMORROW

Nah. Not more than anyone else, especially. I mean, if he's bad then yeah. If he keeps doing as well as he has, then he'll be fine. 

But as is nearly always the way with OCs here with bad QBs and limited personnel, if the players do well, Bills fans praise the players. If the offense does poorly, Bills fans blame the OC.

Nationally, Daboll is considered to have done a good job here with what up till this year were limited resources on offense. Now that they've got some real skill players and solid personnel across the board, the whole offense has more expected of them. That includes Daboll, certainly, but it includes everyone, really.

"On the hotseat" is overstating it. But yeah, results should be expected with the improvements they've made and with the benefits of continuity.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Your eye balls. You will see bad plays called or players not executing. 

If only it were that easy. 

There's a reason there are plenty of arguments - here and everywhere - with both sides screaming "Just use your eyes. If you can't see it, I don't know what I can say." Football is an extremely complex system.

And for fans, the OC is the go-to scapegoat. Sometimes for good reason. But not always.

26 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I agree that the jury is still out on Daboll, though it’s fair to say that when Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones are your 1 and 2, you have been given little to work with. I actually think Allen has carried Daboll to this point. 

Exactly.  Greg Roman had receivers that couldn't get separation from single coverage, man defense (cornerbacks).  That was the issue - he tried to run a very similar system with Tyrod (unsuccessfully) that he's running with Lamar in Baltimore now.  Different players - Baltimore has a ton of receivers that can actually get separation down-field.  

I completely expect Buffalo's offense to take a huge step forward this year, simply because our play makers can get open.  Imagine the New England games this year when Gilmore is in press coverage on Diggs and smoke and Beasley are matched up with Belichick's second and third option - we might finally see a 300 yard game by a Bills QB in Foxboro.