Brian Daboll is on the hotseat starting TOMORROW

Penfield45

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

no more excuses for this guy. It's time to show you can run a top 10 NFL offense. 

We are tired of our offense lagging so far behind the defense, last season I lost count on how many games our defense won while the offense struggled to score a measly 14 points. Terrible gameplans and head scratching play calling all season long. Daboll was constantly putting Allen under immense pressure with his calls, especially in the playoff game. We barely used Singletary to our advantage, hopefully that changes this season. So far in his career Daboll has shown no evidence he can lead a high powered offense in the NFL, that needs to change. 

Football is great.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why is the "middle of the league" an acceptable goal?  This is McD's 4th year; Josh's year to shine and prove he's the man; we have a lot of stability, almost complete roster turnover to Beane and McD's satisfaction.

They've loaded up the offense with weapons, at least by traditional Bills standards.

Stop with the excuses.

Do you ever want to see the Bills in a Super Bowl again before you die?

I do!

Because it isn't going to be the way the Bills play. They are gonna keep most teams to 20 or under. They are not going to get into shootouts. I also think they have a lot of good defenses on their schedule. If the Bills scored 24 every week that would have them right about 14th or 15th in the NFL based on recent years. I also think that would be enough to win at least 12 games. Because not many teams are scoring 25 on this defense.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because it isn't going to be the way the Bills play. They are gonna keep most teams to 20 or under. They are not going to get into shootouts. I also think they have a lot of good defenses on their schedule. If the Bills scored 24 every week that would have them right about 14th or 15th in the NFL based on recent years. I also think that would be enough to win at least 12 games. Because not many teams are scoring 25 on this defense.

I'm only talking about our offensive performance.

If we are ever going to be good again, we are likely going to need to be better than a middle of the pack offense.

I agree with you, this offense will not be better than middle of the pack.  It might well be worse than that.

I also agree McD is a traditional, conservative NFL coach.  I would love to see Daboll open up our offense and try to get the most out of Allen, mostly via running him more.  I don't think we'll see that either.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a lot of pressure on Daboll. And on Josh Allen. I think the Bills have to be around the middle of the league in terms of ranking and they have to be able to engineer drives when we need them.

This is a make or break year for Allen and Dumboll. I've never been a fan of his coordinating style, but with the addition of Diggs and Moss and some young receivers there's no more excuses. If this team doesn't avg 23/24 Pts per game I'm shopping for a different OC.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If we are ever going to be good again, we are likely going to need to be better than a middle of the pack offense.

I agree with you, this offense will not be better than middle of the pack.  It might well be worse than that.

I also agree McD is a traditional, conservative NFL coach.  I would love to see Daboll open up our offense and try to get the most out of Allen, mostly via running him more.  I don't think we'll see that either.

I don't think McDermott is all that conservative. He is middle of the pack in terms of going for 4th downs etc. It is just that he is a really good defensive coach and when you are keeping teams below 20 a lot that affects how you play offense. Believe me I am the biggest advocate of the Bills throwing it, but I don't think the way this overall roster is constructed that we are gonna be scoring 30 most weeks.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree, playing conservatively on offense because you have a great defense doesn’t make sense. You only play conservatively on offense with a great defense if you can’t trust your offense. Our offense has the talent to win football games, and the coaches should trust them. The defense isn’t our only chance to win. This offense can be a contributor to victories. This is the 2020 NFL, it’s nice to have a good defense, but defense isn’t going to win every game. Teams like the Chiefs can be downright unstoppable, no matter what the defense does. The time always comes where you need to score points to win games in this era. As great as our defense was last season, they couldn’t shut down Watson in the second half of last year’s playoff game. We ultimately need to score more points this season, regardless of how it’s done. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is a make or break year for Allen and Dumboll. I've never been a fan of his coordinating style, but with the addition of Diggs and Moss and some young receivers there's no more excuses. If this team doesn't avg 23/24 Pts per game I'm shopping for a different OC.

I think the window for Daboll to still be a Bills OC in 2021 is a narrow one. And it probably is about 22/23 ppg, Bills having about the 15th best offense and being 10-6. If it is better than that and Allen looks good he will be a hot HC candidate. If it is worse than that and Allen plateaus or regresses the Bills will fire him. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, playing conservatively on offense because you have a great defense doesn’t make sense. You only play conservatively on offense with a great defense if you can’t trust your offense. Our offense has the talent to win football games, and the coaches should trust them. The defense isn’t our only chance to win. This offense can be a contributor to victories. This is the 2020 NFL, it’s nice to have a good defense, but defense isn’t going to win every game. Teams like the Chiefs can be downright unstoppable, no matter what the defense does. The time always comes where you need to score points to win games in this era. As great as our defense was last season, they couldn’t shut down Watson in the second half of last year’s playoff game. We ultimately need to score more points this season, regardless of how it’s done. 

The highlighted is the key to NFL football in 2020 and beyond! 

I would add that the time will come, at some point, when you will be playing a team that you must beat in order to advance, and they are going to have a gunslinging great QB with a high powered offense.

If you can't outscore that kind of team when you have to, you lose.  

Look at the Brady/NE formula for success for so many years.  If they didn't straight up blow people out, the time would come in the game when Brady knew "we need more points" and he would get them.  They'd end up with a few more than the other team, the clock would strike ZERO, and NE wins another game.

Hiding behind a good D is a recipe for losing.  It's still very nice to have a top D!  

But offense drives the way the NFL is played now.  Not defense.

• Like (+1) 2

The entire team has major expectations this year.  They’ve put that pressure on themselves, which is good.

Daboll I my mind has less pressure than the offensive players do.  It’s on them to execute.  It’s on Josh to throw players open to increase the likelihood of positive yardage.  Its in Josh to see the whole field and find the best receiver, not just tuck and run.  It’s on the offensive line to give Josh time to see plays open, and for them to open holes for the running game.  It’s on the receivers to run good routes and catch the ball.

It’s in the players to get it done now.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the window for Daboll to still be a Bills OC in 2021 is a narrow one. And it probably is about 22/23 ppg, Bills having about the 15th best offense and being 10-6. If it is better than that and Allen looks good he will be a hot HC candidate. If it is worse than that and Allen plateaus or regresses the Bills will fire him. 

What will the Bills do to Josh Allen if he plateaus or regresses this season?  That's the single most important factor for this team heading into this year, not what goes on with Daboll.  

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The highlighted is the key to NFL football in 2020 and beyond! 

I would add that the time will come, at some point, when you will be playing a team that you must beat in order to advance, and they are going to have a gunslinging great QB with a high powered offense.

If you can't outscore that kind of team when you have to, you lose.  

Look at the Brady/NE formula for success for so many years.  If they didn't straight up blow people out, the time would come in the game when Brady knew "we need more points" and he would get them.  They'd end up with a few more than the other team, the clock would strike ZERO, and NE wins another game.

Hiding behind a good D is a recipe for losing.  It's still very nice to have a top D!  

But offense drives the way the NFL is played now.  Not defense.

That sums it up. I think there’s an old school mindset among football fans and people in the game because the old phrase, “defense wins championships”. Obviously it’s great to have a good defense, but teams that don’t score points haven’t won Super Bowls for over a decade now. The game has changed immensely over the past couple decades, and not everyone is board with it. I like our coaching staff, and new regime at OBD. This is easily the best Bills team since the 90’s. It feels great to be excited about Bills football. I just don’t understand thinking this defense is going to carry us without improvement from the offense, and a more aggressive game plan meant to score points. 

I have no problem with Brian Daboll's coaching over the last 2 years.  

Our biggest problem has been a young/developing Quarterback, poor offensive line and lack of weapons.  It's also very clear that Sean McDermott wanted to play it safe, and our offense frequently pulled back in the 2nd half with even the smallest leads.

This year though, the bar has been raised much higher.  To take the next step, we can't be barely scraping out wins against teams like the Jets and Dolphins.

The O-Line is strong.  The offense is loaded with weapons.  Josh Allen is in Year 3, and needs to step himself into the Top 10-15 .

If we struggle to score points in 2020, either Daboll or Allen will be on the hot seat.  And rightly so.

• Like (+1) 2