last first round pick to get 2nd contract?

2 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

This thread is depressing 😔

when the words Dareus and McKelvin are brought up, I get depressed.  Might as well bring up every other tool we drafted in the last two decades prior to McBeane.  Maybe, Mike Williams, Spiller, and on and on.  To mother poster, Stevie was a 7th round pick.

another, not mother.  Hate autocorrect.

42 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

when the words Dareus and McKelvin are brought up, I get depressed.  Might as well bring up every other tool we drafted in the last two decades prior to McBeane.  Maybe, Mike Williams, Spiller, and on and on.  

Reading Wood's name didn't make me so elated either, considering that we gave up Jason Peters for him. 

That said, it occurs to me that there will soon be a generation of fans that will know little of our blunders. They will have heard about the 4 superbowls, but not understand just how inept this team leadership was for just so long.

They might hear of the trade that cost us Mahomes if he keep on winning, but hopefully, they will never experience the endless misery and idiocy that we were subjected to. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Reading Wood's name didn't make me so elated either, considering that we gave up Jason Peters for him. 

That said, it occurs to me that there will soon be a generation of fans that will know little of our blunders. They will have heard about the 4 superbowls, but not understand just how inept this team leadership was for just so long.

They might hear of the trade that cost us Mahomes if he keep on winning, but hopefully, they will never experience the endless misery and idiocy that we were subjected to. 

Bill, you must be elated over Tre’s extension, because for the next 5-6 years the team won’t likely need to use a 1st round pick on a CB!

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Bill, you must be elated over Tre’s extension, because for the next 5-6 years the team won’t likely need to use a 1st round pick on a CB!

Except I think corner is genuinely in play if we are drafting late in round 1 next year. At this point matching value and need it feels like corner is in play. By the time that guy came to end of his rookie deal Tre would have 1 year left and be cuttable if you wanted to go with the young guy. Obviously things can change between now and the draft but with no college season for many conferences I expect the big boards not to move that much. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Except I think corner is genuinely in play if we are drafting late in round 1 next year. At this point matching value and need it feels like corner is in play. By the time that guy came to end of his rookie deal Tre would have 1 year left and be cuttable if you wanted to go with the young guy. Obviously things can change between now and the draft but with no college season for many conferences I expect the big boards not to move that much. 

Shh, I was throwing Bill a bone...

• Haha (+1) 3

Of those Darues / McKelvin and Wood deals.... I'd have signed Dareus at the time too. I am not going to pan them for a decision I'd have made. Rex was the wrong coach at the wrong time for a guy like Dareus who needed no encouragement to take his foot off the pedal. McKelvin's extension was a pretty cheap one as I recall. Eric Wood was in and of itself a good contract but agree with what Bill said about the Peters element. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Actually you are quite correct. Now hopefully we can concentrate on positions which will help us in other ways. Allen is still relatively inexperienced. A stronger OL would truly aid his development, and perhaps even lessen the need for him to run and risk injury, along with strengthening the run game.

I would also like to grab some pass rushers as well.

Oh and btw, there will be 2 GREAT receivers draft eligible from the Crimson Tide. :) Yes, GREAT.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure why the list, or lack there of, would surprise anyone. The Bills have been floundering around for two decades. That’s TWENTY draft picks (although Sammy took two)! It’s a chicken and egg thing. Good players didn’t want to stay and a mediocre team is full of mediocre players. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Of those Darues / McKelvin and Wood deals.... I'd have signed Dareus at the time too. I am not going to pan them for a decision I'd have made. Rex was the wrong coach at the wrong time for a guy like Dareus who needed no encouragement to take his foot off the pedal. McKelvin's extension was a pretty cheap one as I recall. Eric Wood was in and of itself a good contract but agree with what Bill said about the Peters element. 

Totally agree - Dareus was the right thing to do at the time, but without a coach to keep him motivated - it all goes South so fast.  

Depressing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Oh and btw, there will be 2 GREAT receivers draft eligible from the Crimson Tide. :) Yes, GREAT.

Too bad we will not be able to pick them since we will be far away in draft order bur JEST and Pfish probably will be able to take them which means you get to see them often!

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Totally agree - Dareus was the right thing to do at the time, but without a coach to keep him motivated - it all goes South so fast.  

Depressing.

He was right thing to do IF Bills had a better contract person (who is still employed BTW) who including clauses to cancel guarantees and take back unearned portion of signing bonus for actions detrimental to the team.

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

We can hope, friend.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

when the words Dareus and McKelvin are brought up, I get depressed.  Might as well bring up every other tool we drafted in the last two decades prior to McBeane.  Maybe, Mike Williams, Spiller, and on and on.  To mother poster, Stevie was a 7th round pick.

another, not mother.  Hate autocorrect.

I shudder to think of all the years that the Bills had way more success in rounds 5-7 and with undrafted free agents than picks in the first four rounds in the Jauron years. From 2003 to 2008 many of the teams successful players were either drafted late in rounds 5-7 or undrafted free agents. Kyle, Stevie, Peters, Jabari Greer, Fred Jackson, Jim Leonard (although his tenure with the Bills wasn't that great), and Brad Butler were all later or un-drafted guys a great haul for any organization and something that could have had a good run of success but when you wiff a lot in the first four rounds and your organization doesn't have a good coach and lacks the cash to spend on free agents things don't go well. 

I wonder why the team was so good at identifying starting caliber players in rounds 5-7 and in the undrafted process? But yet they couldn't hit early in the draft or in free agency? Now the Bills have a nice mix of hitting on a lot of their early picks (Tre, Dawkins, Eduomnds and possibly Josh, Ford and Ed) and hitting solid value on later selections (T.Johnson, Milano Singletary, and Levi Wallace along with possibly Knox, Sweeney and a few others.) That along with a solid (although not great) free agency supplementation has finally built a complete roster.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1