Bills release DiMarco, injury settlement

PromoTheRobot

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what are the rules about bringing back a guy with an injury settlement?

Not sure if rule is the same, but it used to be that a player given an injury settlement could return to the same team 6 weeks after the end of the settlement time.

So, say DiMarco was given a three week injury settlement (meaning that the player’s injury was expected to take three weeks to heal), he could re-sign with the Bills after week 9.  He’s free to sign with a different team at any time though. 

Fullbacks being rarely used these days across the league, I’m not sure if there is a market for DiMarco.  Later in the season he would theoretically be healthy for a playoff run, with knowledge of the offensive system, and a good addition to the special teams. 

I’m not sure if the rule is the same though or if it’s been changed due to Covid in some way.

Edited by purple haze

47 minutes ago, delirious said:

giphy.gif

That was a great night. I remember it well.

This is actually really surprising, or at least on the merits of McDermott's comments. He made it sound like a bad injury that may be career-threatening. The truth is the Bills didn't want DiMarco. That's what an injury settlement means every single time.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

That was a great night. I remember it well.

This is actually really surprising, or at least on the merits of McDermott's comments. He made it sound like a bad injury that may be career-threatening. The truth is the Bills didn't want DiMarco. That's what an injury settlement means every single time.

I mean McDermott never throws anyone under the bus let alone a veteran Captain.

38 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Not sure if rule is the same, but it used to be that a player given an injury settlement could return to the same team 6 weeks after the end of the settlement time.

So, say DiMarco was given a three week injury settlement (meaning that the player’s injury was expected to take three weeks to heal), he could re-sign with the Bills after week 9.  He’s free to sign with a different team at any time though. 

Fullbacks being rarely used these days across the league, I’m not sure if there is a market for DiMarco.  Later in the season he would theoretically be healthy for a playoff run, with knowledge of the offensive system, and a good addition to the special teams. 

I’m not sure if the rule is the same though or if it’s been changed due to Covid in some way.

Yes about the return time (at least with the old CBA and I doubt the new one changed it.)

Injury settlements can also give a team a chance at getting a player back during that same season. There is a rule in place that the team (agreeing to a settlement) can’t resign that player until a minimum of six weeks passes following the amount of weeks of the initial settlement. So for our MCL example, the team cannot resign that player for the first eleven weeks. For a player who did a three week/3 game settlement, his team can’t sign him back until after week nine. However, the player is free to sign with another team.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean McDermott never throws anyone under the bus let alone a veteran Captain.

It was just funny because it was the same press conference in which he talked about being fair to the media and shooting straight, yet he pretty much lied about DiMarco. Let's call it heavy deceit.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually did NOT see that coming. 

If I never see that again it will be too soon.

I mean I guess a lot of fans feel that way but after he was forced to take a 800k pay cut earlier this year I figured he would not make the cuts.

His injury saved him from being cut and thus (IMO) forced the injury settlement.