Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
plenzmd1

14 Positives on Marlins

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

More than a hundred kids died of the flu last year. We should have cancelled school years ago.

You understand that comparing what a disease does when there is a lockdown in place versus what a different disease does under normal circumstances is intellectually dishonest, right?  If we knew that COVID would cause roughly as many deaths as the flu, I think most people would be okay with opening everything.  That just isn’t the case, though.

 

People were comparing this to the flu months ago.  The flu kills around 40,000 Americans annually.  COVID has quadrupled that in 4 months even with all of the social distancing and other precautions that have been taken.  This is nothing like the flu.

8 minutes ago, Bill Lewes said:

 

From the Boston Globe opinion piece (to be fair these authors are professors at the Harvard school of public health and, though obvious credible, view the issue though a particular lens):    
 

"We are not advocating a return to schools as usual. Schools must aggressively implement proven risk reduction strategies. A layered approach should include rapid testing and contact tracing, physical distancing when possible, mask-wearing with breaks built into the day, frequent hand hygiene, and well-ventilated spaces. Districts should consider adding tents and trailers and converting gyms, cafeteria, and libraries to expand learning spaces. Staggering arrival and dismissal times and prohibiting parents from entering schools will limit one of the highest risks — having large numbers of adults in indoor spaces."
 


Additionally, if you link to the risk reduction strategies you will see a document suggesting exactly what I've been talking about - multiple ideas that are cost or structurally prohibitive that won't receive the necessary funding, community support or professional/political leadership required to implement successfully (please check pg 31 for an example). 


 

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Billl said:

You understand that comparing what a disease does when there is a lockdown in place versus what a different disease does under normal circumstances is intellectually dishonest, right?  If we knew that COVID would cause roughly as many deaths as the flu, I think most people would be okay with opening everything.  That just isn’t the case, though.

 

People were comparing this to the flu months ago.  The flu kills around 40,000 Americans annually.  COVID has quadrupled that in 4 months even with all of the social distancing and other precautions that have been taken.  This is nothing like the flu.

You're exactly right. The flu has killed way more kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Maybe the Marlins won't have enough people to field a team and since there is no minor league baseball this year they can't call up 12 guys to fill the roster.

 60 man player pool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

More than a hundred kids died of the flu last year. We should have cancelled school years ago.

Brilliant.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Well then until we have a cure for the flu, school should be out of the question. Let's start an interest group.

You're free to wage that campaign, but we aren't discussing solving the flu here.

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Brilliant.

If that's what passes for brilliant, RIP our education system.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BullBuchanan said:

You're free to wage that campaign, but we aren't discussing solving the flu here.

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

 

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FireChans said:

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

 

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

Good luck with your campaign. I think you'll find it a difficult one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when we put the entire country on lockdown for 4 months to stop the flu and it still killed 1,000 people a day for 4 months straight while cases continued to increase exponentially?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Brilliant.

 

You should see what that guy thinks of teachers to begin with. Yikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Billl said:

You understand that comparing what a disease does when there is a lockdown in place versus what a different disease does under normal circumstances is intellectually dishonest, right?  If we knew that COVID would cause roughly as many deaths as the flu, I think most people would be okay with opening everything.  That just isn’t the case, though.

 

People were comparing this to the flu months ago.  The flu kills around 40,000 Americans annually.  COVID has quadrupled that in 4 months even with all of the social distancing and other precautions that have been taken.  This is nothing like the flu.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Are flu cases down due to the lockdown? They should be if masks and social distancing work as advertised.

 

My guess is the flu will be just as common and just as deadly regardless of what people do. But that's the pessimist in me, I think.

 

Nothing that I have seen has shown to seriously impact the spread of disease except immunity. COVID-19 will be around until we all build up some immunity. The goal is to try to not overwhelm the hospitals, which is why we are doing all these unproven things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FireChans said:

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

 

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

Very few things will ever be 100% safe. As a society, we have to determine where to draw the line between risk and reward. To most people, keeping schools closed for Covid-19 vs the flu ...the line seems to be between them.  Your very linear argument seems to be ignoring that.

 So why would many prefer to keep schools closed for Covid and not the  yearly flu? Everything we know so far says Covid has a higher hospitilization rate, higher death rate, more long term issues that arrive in people who recover from it, and there is no vacccine for Covid (if a huge, wide spread outbreak of the flu occurred, we have several vaccines available that could be administered in the community)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Billl said:

Remember when we put the entire country on lockdown for 4 months to stop the flu and it still killed 1,000 people a day for 4 months straight while cases continued to increase exponentially?

 

Remember how the countries that stuck to a lockdown and didn't turn wearing a comfortable piece of cloth on your face a political issue have a lot lower cases and are now opening up their economies? 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are flu cases down due to the lockdown? They should be if masks and social distancing work as advertised.

 

My guess is the flu will be just as common and just as deadly regardless of what people do. But that's the pessimist in me, I think.

 

Nothing that I have seen has shown to seriously impact the spread of disease except immunity. COVID-19 will be around until we all build up some immunity. The goal is to try to not overwhelm the hospitals, which is why we are doing all these unproven things.

 

Why was it that the nations that took the virus most seriously are having the best results? The EU vs. USA numbers are alarming. People are acting like there isn't a real world example of an approach working better than science denial.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You're exactly right. The flu has killed way more kids.

 

There have been more Studebakers made than Teslas, so Studebaker is a more popular car right now.

 

Same logic.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Presuming we'll ever even have a vaccine seems very optimistic given there are only around 20 viral vaccines. I think we need to put out the fire first, and then worry about moving back into the house. When our case count starts to look more like Europe, it'll be more appropriate to make those things a priority.

 

I'm worried about that.  Reinfection might tell the story there.  I wonder if the "vaccine" will end up being a seasonal thing, kind of like a flu shot.  Or if the vaccine will actually be shot that we get two or three or four times a year that helps as to avoid, but doesn't completely insulate us from, COVID. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

There have been more Studebakers made than Teslas, so Studebaker is a more popular car right now.

 

Same logic.

image.jpeg.79207f56d7462b4b177fb636a106c765.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SmokinES3 said:

We made it one series... Certain political factions will have this shutdown ASAP. Fun while it lasted...

Yeah, political factions, like people who don't want to risk lives for a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

There have been more Studebakers made than Teslas, so Studebaker is a more popular car right now.

 

Same logic.

 

I think he is saying that year to date more children have died from the flu than COVID. I suspect this is true, but am willing to be proven wrong.  It certainly is deadlier than the flu overall.  

 

I see this on children under 14:  "Recent CDC data shows a total of six confirmed COVID-19 deaths of children under the age of 14. And as the virus spreads further we'll most likely see more."  https://www.babycenter.com/0_coronavirus-update-covid-19-infections-in-children-less-seve_40006924.bc

 

And this on typical flu deaths for children:  Even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 187, CDC’s mathematical models that account for the underreporting of flu-related deaths in children estimate the actual number was closer to 600. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/children.htm

 

 

 

Edited by Arkady Renko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB couldn't get through one weekend. And the NFL thinks they can actually play this year?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FireChans said:

You're exactly right. The flu has killed way more kids.

I don't believe he said that.  This virus has thankfully spared the young and schools must reopen based off the research.  However, this virus is highly contagious and is much more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.  You saw that over the past week with deaths spiking in FL, TX, CA, and AZ to the point where we were averaging over a thousand a day again.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't believe he said that.  This virus has thankfully spared the young and schools must reopen based off the research.  However, this virus is highly contagious and is much more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.  You saw that over the past week with deaths spiking in FL, TX, CA, and AZ to the point where we were averaging over a thousand a day again.

 

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/child-hospitalizations-from-covid-19-rise-23-in-florida-weeks-ahead-of-school-reopenings/

 

Child hospitalizations from COVID-19 rise 23% in Florida weeks ahead of school reopenings

Quote

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150.

 

That’s a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days.

 

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303.

 

That’s a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...