14 Positives on Marlins

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t agree with the herd immunity theory, but I have to adamantly disagree with the bolded part. I hear some people spouting this off. I haven’t seen one legitimate source that says this coronavirus offers no immunity. The one study I’ve seen done states that immunity lasts a minimum of 3 months (might be 2, but I’m working on the source). This would also be discounting the fact that this is NOT the first coronavirus. It’s naive to think this is the coronavirus to break all the rules of past coronavirus’. MERS and SARS both have degrees of immunity varying from 6 months to 2 years. 

When people think of post-virus immunity, they typically think forever, like measles, smallpox, etc. Not a few weeks or months. That type of immunity is effectively useles sin a country that's operating like the US.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t agree with the herd immunity theory, but I have to adamantly disagree with the bolded part. I hear some people spouting this off. I haven’t seen one legitimate source that says this coronavirus offers no immunity. The one study I’ve seen done states that immunity lasts a minimum of 3 months (might be 2, but I’m working on the source). This would also be discounting the fact that this is NOT the first coronavirus. It’s naive to think this is the coronavirus to break all the rules of past coronavirus’. MERS and SARS both have degrees of immunity varying from 6 months to 2 years. 

When people talk about “herd immunity”, it’s generally assumed that they mean permanent immunity rather than some short term resistance.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that if even one kid or teacher could be affected by COVID-19, schools should not reopen.  That is what I mean by "won't have the conversation."

Must have missed that.

Our basic starting point needs to be that schools should reopen.  Then we need to figure out how to make it happen. If there are hot spots, or schools that can't reopen safely, we should not open those schools. 

That's the starting point in a non-Covid world. The problem is most of the country right now is a hot spot and/or has schools that can't reopen safely - which kind of edits the starting point, since it's an impossibility.

We agree in general, however in my opinion, we're already past the point of no return for having a normal school year in 2020-2021. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

When people talk about “herd immunity”, it’s generally assumed that they mean permanent immunity rather than some short term resistance.

I don’t subscribe to the herd immunity theory. I give no credence to it when it’s mentioned. I was simply replying to people who want to imply this virus provides no post infection immunity. That statement is just blatantly false. 

59 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

This is what I think has to be done.  You have to keep all 32 teams in their own controlled, training camp type situation with next to zero contact with the outside world.  As I said in another thread, soldiers are asked to perform tours of duty that last a year.  This would last 5 months for folks making serious dough.

Daily testing is of limited value when positive tests take days to show up.  Buyouts of hotels and meals are cheap relative to losing this season's NFL TV money.

But Soldiers aren't millionaires divas with entourages that are needed to stroke their egos 24-7. How can they be expected to make it a few months in a quarantine.

also, this is the same approach that Baseball has taken with each team quarantining to their own bubbles without access to the outside and here we are....

5 minutes ago, teef said:

in what regard?

they wanted to make sure their position was that schools should reopen as determined by science and local health officials, not politicians, or unions, or school board members who are not health officials. 

Trump was using the first statement to say all schools should open, and the AAP potion now is open where smart and safe.

Politics meaning like the LA teachers union saying will not open till police defunded etc...cause that should enter into the discussion of safety at schools

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/education/la-teachers-union-says-schools-cant-reopen-unless-charter-schools-get

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

That is just sort of where our politics are.  Earlier in this thread someone suggested that if even one kid or teacher could be affected by COVID-19, schools should not reopen.  That is what I mean by "won't have the conversation."  That is silly and a comment that doesn't serve a purpose.  Our basic starting point needs to be that schools should reopen.  Then we need to figure out how to make it happen. If there are hot spots, or schools that can't reopen safely, we should not open those schools.  I'm not pulling that commentary out of thin air. That comes straight from the White House. It also comports with what the AAP is saying.  And, I imagine at least, you and most people generally agree with this approach.  Yet, for whatever reason, this is controversial. 

Why should our starting point be that "schools need to reopen"? Who agreed to that? I'm not saying its wrong, but why do you get to set the terms?

This comes down to the value of life in preventable deaths and disability, and the party of "pro-life" and "family values" has taken a very hypocritical, but not unsurprising, stance here.

People talking about re-opening are looking downfield before they've caught the ball, and we all know how that works out.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

When people think of post-virus immunity, they typically think forever, like measles, smallpox, etc. Not a few weeks or months. That type of immunity is effectively useles sin a country that's operating like the US.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

There are very few viruses that offer infinite immunity. People who think of post virus immunity in terms of forever are simply misinformed. 

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t subscribe to the herd immunity theory. I give no credence to it when it’s mentioned. I was simply replying to people who want to imply this virus provides no post infection immunity. That statement is just blatantly false. 

That's just semantics. It's effectively true.

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I really don’t think the spikes were substantially from the protests... more people letting their guard down too much in general.

(I’m someone who is disgusted with the media’s hypocrisy around coverage of these “peaceful” protests, by the way)

well the timing certainly doesn't bode well for it.  end of may they start...mid june massive spikes.  i had no issue with the protests and not what i'm talking about.  massive amounts of people together, touching etc was just the spark the virus needed unfortunately.    

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Must have missed that.

That's the starting point in a non-Covid world. The problem is most of the country right now is a hot spot and/or has schools that can't reopen safely - which kind of edits the starting point, since it's an impossibility.

We agree in general, however in my opinion, we're already past the point of no return for having a normal school year in 2020-2021. 

I think that is a bit misleading. Here is what I mean: we usually describe the numbers in terms of "how is that state doing."  So, for example, New York was doing very badly early on.  Well, that wasn't quite true. New York City was doing very badly. The rest of the State, more or less, did quite well.  The same is true for Arizona (Phoenix); California (L.A.); etc. I would wager that more American schools can reopen than cannot. But, it is a case by case analysis.  

In addition, all districts should plan on reopening from a purely practical standpoint. It is easier to cancel school than it is to try to start it back up.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I live in Fl and Gov. Desantis is acting like Trump in this. Deny , deflect. And the kicker is he's blaming others from the NE.

These days the CDC is a Trump mouthpiece spewing lies. Other countries are at a point where they can play baseball (S. Korea) because they took this seriously from the beginning, while our leadership said "it's just a flu, we're fine".

I've told you this once before and I'll say it again, you're awful smart for someone who's Dopey!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I consider myself to be a centrist on most things, but lately, there's only one side of the political debate that I never seem able to have a rational discussion with, and it's rarely the line of argument coming from the right side of the aisle.   

I am an independent as well, i encounter the most resistance on the other side..its all " follow the science" till the science does not agree with politics.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why should our starting point be that "schools need to reopen"? Who agreed to that? I'm not saying its wrong, but why do you get to set the terms?

This comes down to the value of life in preventable deaths and disability, and the party of "pro-life" and "family values" has taken a very hypocritical, but not unsurprising, stance here.

People talking about re-opening are looking downfield before they've caught the ball, and we all know how that works out.

Cause it is proven that kids suffer when not in class, especially minority and immigrant children. If that is not the case, just close the schools permanently, no need for them correct?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, aristocrat said:

well the timing certainly doesn't bode well for it.  end of may they start...mid june massive spikes.  i had no issue with the protests and not what i'm talking about.  massive amounts of people together, touching etc was just the spark the virus needed unfortunately.    

The protests definitely didn’t help, that’s for sure.  The public figures normalizing and encouraging the mass gatherings (while just having gotten finished lambasting the much smaller lockdown protests a month prior) was disgusting.

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s not true at all. It’s pure false. Proven false. 

yeah havent people already tested positive for it again recently after having it in March/April?

• Like (+1) 1