14 Positives on Marlins

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's going to be tough...

There will definitely be positive tests.

Anything that opens up in terms of schools and sports will have cases popping up everywhere

I don't think anyone can expect there to be no positive tests, the key is trying to control large outbreaks which was the goal of all the closures and social distancing, etc. The hope is to get the spread down so that it doesn't overload the health system and any spread is a slow spread. It always expected to see spikes as things open and we get back to normal. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know. It sucks.  I’m trying to stay positive.  But the NFL is a really dumb league.  The players were just saying last week that they don’t believe in their plan. 

The Cubs first basemen was passing out hand sanitizer haha

I know, that's what I was referring to, lol

After big wins are we now going to see the coaches/players having jugs of sanitizer dumped on them instead of Gatorade?

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think Hawaii County, Hawaii should reopen schools

and we've probably done the best job in the country of preventing spread of COVID

How old are your kids?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

You might as well wear a flashing sign that says you don't understand science.  Letting it "run its course" sounds like something my grandpa would've said in the 1950's. There's absolutely zero benefit to that. Viruses don't die out when they get bored of infecting people, but when they can't continue to spread.

First of all, it appears as though there is not immunity from this virus after contracting it. Second, in order to "let it run its course" you're talking about million dead in the US alone and millions more with permanent organ damage, strokes, etc. Stop the spread, kill the virus. No amount of "toughen up" fixes that.

K.  Cool.  See you in 15 years.  

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think anyone can expect there to be no positive tests, the key is trying to control large outbreaks which was the goal of all the closures and social distancing, etc. The hope is to get the spread down so that it doesn't overload the health system and any spread is a slow spread. It always expected to see spikes as things open and we get back to normal. 

I know, that's what I was referring to, lol

After big wins are we now going to see the coaches/players having jugs of sanitizer dumped on them instead of Gatorade?

One of my favorite SB bets is guessing they color of Gatorade they dump on the winning coach.  Not many options with hand sanitizer!

I understand enough of the science to know 330 million people will NOT get infected if it "runs its course."  This ridiculous math based on everyone getting it was flawed from the beginning.  

But that is clearly over a lot people's pay grade and Bio 101 level of understanding

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I understand enough of the science to know 330 million people will NOT get infected if it "runs its course."  This ridiculous math based on everyone getting it was flawed from the beginning.  

But that is clearly over a lot people's pay grade and Bio 101 level of understanding

How many will?

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

If that's how long it takes the virus hoaxers. Took South Korea, Germany, France, etc considerably less time, but America loves nothing if not overindulgence.

Nope.  

See Spain

Japan.

China.

Hong Kong. 

Israel.  

It is never going away.  Genie is out of the bottle.  

Has to run its course.  Take care.  Protect yourself as best you can if you're vulnerable.

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Not trying to be an a**, but what would starting in October instead of September do? If anything, I would think a start around March would be best. Let the first round of vaccines make their rounds. Assuming all goes well with them. 

I'm ok with this. 

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't need to google your confirmation bias. You clearly have no idea what herd immunity is.

T-Cells 

Antibodies 

Complex science-y stuff

This has led to speculation about whether a population can achieve some sort of immunity to the virus with as little as 20% infected – a proportion well below the widely accepted herd immunity threshold (60-70%).

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-could-it-be-burning-out-after-20-of-a-population-is-infected-141584

8 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm ok with this. 

Well, if you believe the models that have come out of MIT early on you can wait till March ........of 2022.  

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

T-Cells 

Antibodies 

Complex science-y stuff

This has led to speculation about whether a population can achieve some sort of immunity to the virus with as little as 20% infected – a proportion well below the widely accepted herd immunity threshold (60-70%).

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-could-it-be-burning-out-after-20-of-a-population-is-infected-141584

Well, if you believe the models that have come out of MIT early on you can wait till March ........of 2022.  

Might as well include the whole quote:

"The Swedish public health authority announced in late April that the capital city, Stockholm, was “showing signs of herd immunity” – estimating that about half its population had been infected. The authority had to backtrack two weeks later, however, when the results of their own antibody study revealed just 7.3% had been infected. But the number of deaths and infections in Stockholm is falling rather than increasing – despite the fact that Sweden hasn’t enforced a lockdown."

This isn't science - it's claiming you knew something would happen all along and giving it an explanation after the fact. There are so many variables in the equation that to credit herd immunity without a detailed explanation is scientifically irresponsible.

T-cells.

Until you start hearing definitively that people from March are infected again, that's all the evidence you need that thing you call the immune system is working.  

Needs to run its course.  

Reports of reinfection instead may be cases of drawn-out illness. A decline in antibodies is normal after a few weeks, and people are protected from the coronavirus in other ways.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/health/covid-antibodies-herd-immunity.html

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Might as well include the whole quote:

"The Swedish public health authority announced in late April that the capital city, Stockholm, was “showing signs of herd immunity” – estimating that about half its population had been infected. The authority had to backtrack two weeks later, however, when the results of their own antibody study revealed just 7.3% had been infected. But the number of deaths and infections in Stockholm is falling rather than increasing – despite the fact that Sweden hasn’t enforced a lockdown."

This isn't science - it's claiming you knew something would happen all along and giving it an explanation after the fact. There are so many variables in the equation that to credit herd immunity without a detailed explanation is scientifically irresponsible.

Yep I 100% agree science is never really settled. 

10000%.

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

20%

Google it.  Google the science of 20% herd immunity and Professor Michael Levitt 

You may as well have linked Trump’s interview saying it would suddenly magically disappear.  Hell, even the comments section of the article is littered with people talking about how it would go away when the weather heated up.

You might also want to note that Levitt is a biophysicist, not an epidemiologist.  Smart guy with some interesting insights, but not an expert.

• Like (+1) 1