14 Positives on Marlins

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I am blown away by the number of people who are not aware of this. 

You do realize they revised their original opinion on July 10th? It's not as simple as you and others are characterizing it.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Federation of Teachers (AFT), National Education Association (NEA) and AASA, The School Superintendents Association, join together today in the following statement on the safe return of students, teachers, and staff to schools:

“Educators and pediatricians share the goal of children returning safely to school this fall. Our organizations are committed to doing everything we can so that all students have the opportunity to safely resume in-person learning.

“We recognize that children learn best when physically present in the classroom. But children get much more than academics at school. They also learn social and emotional skills at school, get healthy meals and exercise, mental health support and other services that cannot be easily replicated online. Schools also play a critical role in addressing racial and social inequity. Our nation’s response to COVID-19 has laid bare inequities and consequences for children that must be addressed. This pandemic is especially hard on families who rely on school lunches, have children with disabilities, or lack access to Internet or health care.

“Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

“Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

“Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses. We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools. Withholding funding from schools that do not open in person fulltime would be a misguided approach, putting already financially strapped schools in an impossible position that would threaten the health of students and teachers.

“The pandemic has reminded so many what we have long understood: that educators are invaluable in children’s lives and that attending school in person offers children a wide array of health and educational benefits. For our country to truly value children, elected leaders must come together to appropriately support schools in safely returning students to the classroom and reopening schools.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

You do realize they revised their original opinion on July 10th? It's not as simple as you and others are characterizing it.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Federation of Teachers (AFT), National Education Association (NEA) and AASA, The School Superintendents Association, join together today in the following statement on the safe return of students, teachers, and staff to schools:

“Educators and pediatricians share the goal of children returning safely to school this fall. Our organizations are committed to doing everything we can so that all students have the opportunity to safely resume in-person learning.

“We recognize that children learn best when physically present in the classroom. But children get much more than academics at school. They also learn social and emotional skills at school, get healthy meals and exercise, mental health support and other services that cannot be easily replicated online. Schools also play a critical role in addressing racial and social inequity. Our nation’s response to COVID-19 has laid bare inequities and consequences for children that must be addressed. This pandemic is especially hard on families who rely on school lunches, have children with disabilities, or lack access to Internet or health care.

“Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

“Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

“Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses. We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools. Withholding funding from schools that do not open in person fulltime would be a misguided approach, putting already financially strapped schools in an impossible position that would threaten the health of students and teachers.

“The pandemic has reminded so many what we have long understood: that educators are invaluable in children’s lives and that attending school in person offers children a wide array of health and educational benefits. For our country to truly value children, elected leaders must come together to appropriately support schools in safely returning students to the classroom and reopening schools.”

Even the Trump administration doesn't disagree with this. I don't think anyone ever suggested there should be a "one-size-fits-all approach." I don't think anyone suggested that it would be easy, that it wouldn't require greater precautions.  The point I'm making is that there is a substantial contingent of the country that won't even have the conversation. 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Hopefully everyone who's going to get the virus will get it in training camp and get it over with. Herd immunity in a small community is probably the way to go.

Probably just better to wait a few months for the vaccine if that’s the solution they were going to pursue. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The point I'm making is that there is a substantial contingent of the country that won't even have the conversation. 

Who won't have the conversation? To me it seems like there is a substantial contingent that won't allow for any conversation other than send the kids back to school.

A great example of that is a certain contingent that misrepresents the opinion of the American Academy of Peds to make it fit their political agenda.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Hopefully everyone who's going to get the virus will get it in training camp and get it over with. Herd immunity in a small community is probably the way to go.

Every time I see people talk about herd immunity, it just seems they have no idea what it actually means. If everyone has to get a virus for you to have "herd immunity" than there is no benefit at all. You might as well put everyone in a room and spray them with the virus to get it over with.  Herd immunity is only useful when there's a vaccine or natural immunity. Otherwise it's called getting infected.

This is also forgetting that there may be no post-infection immunity from this virus.

200.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Even the Trump administration doesn't disagree with this. I don't think anyone ever suggested there should be a "one-size-fits-all approach." I don't think anyone suggested that it would be easy, that it wouldn't require greater precautions.  The point I'm making is that there is a substantial contingent of the country that won't even have the conversation. 

each state will be different depending on  how their numbers are.  this is nothing new.  as i mentioned in another thread, our peds office released a letter about a week ago concerning the schools in our area re-opening.  they were fully on board considering whit reopening in this area in a responsible way.  they were absolutely blasted by calls to take it down, contrary to the evidence.  they were getting calls from people without children in the practice to take it down.  tons of public pressure.

i have a child entering into school this fall.  my wife and sister in law both work for the school system.  we have elderly parents.  we are both 100% on board with schools re-opening in our region.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think maybe they played in Atlanta for exhibition games before traveling to Philly for their 3 game series there..edit.looks like they have been on the road since at least last Tuesday

Phillies - Yankees game postponed also

Phanatic doing his best to get the fans phired up

https://twitter.com/i/status/1287464409607147520

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Please don't forget to post the link to the kid who went to daycare and spread it to 26 kids..if that happened i think  it is something that changes a lot of thoughts, including mine

TY

Child at Victor daycare center tests positive for COVID-19

https://13wham.com/news/local/child-at-victor-daycare-center-tests-positive-for-covid-19

the country was flattening the curve up until end of may towards middle of june when the huge spikes began.  we all knew the risks of mass protesting and we are seeing the results of that.  i didn't think we'd get on time football and have thought they'd start 4-6 weeks late.  Next couple weeks lets hope we see a decline from this latest spike.  

22 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Who won't have the conversation? To me it seems like there is a substantial contingent that won't allow for any conversation other than send the kids back to school.

A great example of that is a certain contingent that misrepresents the opinion of the American Academy of Peds to make it fit their political agenda.

I consider myself to be a centrist on most things, but lately, there's only one side of the political aisle that I never seem able to have a rational discussion with, and it's not those on the right side of the aisle.

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

That is just sort of where our politics are.  Earlier in this thread someone suggested that if even one kid or teacher could be affected by COVID-19, schools should not reopen.  That is what I mean by "won't have the conversation."  That is silly and a comment that doesn't serve a purpose.  Our basic starting point needs to be that schools should reopen.  Then we need to figure out how to make it happen. If there are hot spots, or schools that can't reopen safely, we should not open those schools.  I'm not pulling that commentary out of thin air. That comes straight from the White House. It also comports with what the AAP is saying.  And, I imagine at least, you and most people generally agree with this approach.  Yet, for whatever reason, this is controversial. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Every time I see people talk about herd immunity, it just seems they have no idea what it actually means. If everyone has to get a virus for you to have "herd immunity" than there is no benefit at all. You might as well put everyone in a room and spray them with the virus to get it over with.  Herd immunity is only useful when there's a vaccine or natural immunity. Otherwise it's called getting infected.

This is also forgetting that there may be no post-infection immunity from this virus.

200.gif

I don’t agree with the herd immunity theory, but I have to adamantly disagree with the bolded part. I hear some people spouting this off. I haven’t seen one legitimate source that says this coronavirus offers no immunity. The one study I’ve seen done states that immunity lasts a minimum of 3 months (might be 2, but I’m working on the source). This would also be discounting the fact that this is NOT the first coronavirus. It’s naive to think this is the coronavirus to break all the rules of past coronavirus’. MERS and SARS both have degrees of immunity varying from 6 months to 2 years. 

Edit: source https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/study-covid-19-antibodies-decay-quickly-after-mild-illness

It seems to be the only study that’s been published to date. The key word is immunity antibodies “BEGIN to decrease after 2-3 months”. Keep in mind this is for a mild illness. Of course, logically, your body wouldn’t produce as many antibodies for mild illness. 

However, a much larger study is needed to determine the true immunity status post positive. I would bet it ends up being in 4-8 month range based on initial results and past coronavirus antibody studies. There is pretty much zero chance it ends up being anything less than a couple of months. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

4 minutes ago, teef said:

each state will be different depending on  how their numbers are.  this is nothing new.  as i mentioned in another thread, our peds office released a letter about a week ago concerning the schools in our area re-opening.  they were fully on board considering whit reopening in this area in a responsible way.  they were absolutely blasted by calls to take it down, contrary to the evidence.  they were getting calls from people without children in the practice to take it down.  tons of public pressure.

i have a child entering into school this fall.  my wife and sister in law both work for the school system.  we have elderly parents.  we are both 100% on board with schools re-opening in our region.

For what its worth, my wife is also a teacher. We are all for reopening the schools. 

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

the country was flattening the curve up until end of may towards middle of june when the huge spikes began.  we all knew the risks of mass protesting and we are seeing the results of that.  i didn't think we'd get on time football and have thought they'd start 4-6 weeks late.  Next couple weeks lets hope we see a decline from this latest spike.  

I really don’t think the spikes were substantially from the protests... more people letting their guard down too much in general.

(I’m someone who is disgusted with the media’s hypocrisy around coverage of these “peaceful” protests, by the way)