14 Positives on Marlins

3 hours ago, Process said:

A complete ****-show. 

NBA and NHL will be fun, they are doing it right 

Let’s see how the NBA and NHL fare when they go to start the 20-21 season in the fall.  There will be no bubble as the players would never agree to it for 6+ months. 

Edited by LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, the science is pretty clear that COVID-19 isn't particularly dangerous for children. Fun fact: the CDC has only recorded 12 pediatric deaths due to COVID-19. For reference, the flu took 174 children this year, and the year before it took 400 children.  We good now? 

Wow

I'd be very surprised if that's not an outdated number from maybe June 1st or so.  Just this week, there were two stories of a child dieing, one in Florida, and think the other one was in Georgia.  Early on heard of others too.  Actually I just found one report as of July 14th that listed 30 died under the age of 15

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You revealed yourself as not being a serious person to respond to a while back.  Hence the "wow." 

I see you've never encountered Bull before.

"... the constitution or whatever."? Classic

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

There are very few viruses that offer infinite immunity. People who think of post virus immunity in terms of forever are simply misinformed. 

Not to mention long term effects and recurring conditions.

If you ever had a case of Shingles, you know this all too well.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. ... Varicella-zoster is part of a group of viruses called herpes viruses, which includes the viruses that cause cold sores and genital herpes.May 16, 2018

I had a case of Shingles that last most of three months!  Terrible and very, very painful.

Edited by cd1

8 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

The science is pretty clear how dangerous COVID-19 is to people above 65 years of age and those with underlying conditions regardless of age. There are dozens of teachers, staff, bus drivers, etc. that fall into this category. Their health is required for students to learn appropriately.

Also, any fact that talks about pediatric deaths is not fun. I think we should all be able to agree on that.

It sucks. This whole thing sucks.  

To your point, you are right.  That said, if you removed the number of adults above the age of 65 (retirement age), you aren't losing that many people (I don't use the term teachers, because I understand its more than just teachers).  Same, more or less, for people with underlying conditions. 

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd be very surprised if that's not an outdated number from maybe June 1st or so.  Just this week, there were two stories of a child dieing, one in Florida, and think the other one was in Georgia.  Early on heard of others too.  Actually I just found one report as of July 14th that listed 30 died under the age of 15

You are right, but it doesn't really change the conclusion. But its important to have accurate information. Thanks. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

2 minutes ago, cd1 said:

If you ever had a case of Shingles, you know this all too well.

I had a case of Shingles that last most of three months!  Terrible and very, very painful.

Didn’t you get the memo?  Diseases don’t count if you survive.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That is true. And I dont mean for my comment to suggest that there are not risks associated with opening schools. Its just important that all the facts are right.  The fact that children are not at risk for this disease is an important fact of which people need to be aware, but which they are not. 

To be frank, there will be risk up until the point we have a vaccine.  Waiting that long is not a realistic option. It just isn't. I think we can all agree on that, right? Maybe I presume too much. 

Presuming we'll ever even have a vaccine seems very optimistic given there are only around 20 viral vaccines. I think we need to put out the fire first, and then worry about moving back into the house. When our case count starts to look more like Europe, it'll be more appropriate to make those things a priority.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It sucks. This hole thing sucks.  

To your point, you are right.  That said, if you removed the number of adults above the age of 65 (retirement age), you aren't losing that many people (I don't use the term teachers, because I understand its more than just teachers).  Same, more or less, for people with underlying conditions. 

Obesity is an underlying condition that increases the risk of Covid-19. 

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html

The prevalence of obesity was 18.5% and affected about 13.7 million children and adolescents

13.7 million

That's just the kids. That doesn't include any other underlying conditions that increase the risk of Covid such as sickle cell and type 2 diabetes or any underlying conditions that may increase the risk of Covid, like asthma or type 1 diabetes.  

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Obesity is an underlying condition that increases the risk of Covid-19. 

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/childhood.html

The prevalence of obesity was 18.5% and affected about 13.7 million children and adolescents

13.7 million

That's just the kids. That doesn't include any other underlying conditions that increase the risk of Covid such as sickle cell and type 2 diabetes or any underlying conditions that may increase the risk of Covid, like asthma or type 1 diabetes.  

Yes, but despite that, children die at a minimal rate due to COVID-19. This doesn't make the point you think it does. 

Tasker and Brown on WGR just brought up a good point....

MLB has games 5-6 nights a week with tons of travel and lots of contact with numerous teams per week.

NFL is one game and one trip per week. Much less mixing between different teams.

That could help the NFL. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Tasker and Brown on WGR just brought up a good point....

MLB has games 5-6 nights a week with tons of travel and lots of contact with numerous teams per week.

NFL is one game and one trip per week. Much less mixing between different teams.

A lot more players and staff though.  If one person gets it, it could easily spread really fast through a lockerroom/ team.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot more players and staff though.  If one person gets it, it could easily spread really fast through a lockerroom/ team.  

It's going to be tough...

There will definitely be positive tests.

Anything that opens up in terms of schools and sports will have cases popping up everywhere

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Plus the sport has alot more physical contact between the players. Baseball has much less contact between players. Plus baseball players can sanitize between pitches and keep some on them while on the field....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Where did you see that????????????????

Link? What professionals did you 'see'????

The CDC and multiple professionals on TV.   Here's a link from the CDC that suggests what might help schools meet the safety needs of bringing the process back to pre-COVID norms:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools-faqs.html  It's important to note that the CDC docs that suggest school is safe for kids, discuss that in a vacuum (and as compared to the old normal) and carefully weed out mentions of all the adults involved in the process.  Additionally, their safety recommendations listed in the linked doc are also vacuous (pun intended!).  There're are recommendations for how drivers can create social distancing on the school bus.  Without paying for and creating a multitude of additional buses for every school district in the country, this by itself is absurd.  In my kids school district, the CDC's own numbers suggest a dozen kids would die.  Of course that's not counting the dozens impacted in lesser ways or the viral impact on the community.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

It's going to be tough...

There will definitely be positive tests.

Anything that opens up in terms of schools and sports will have cases popping up everywhere

I know. It sucks.  I’m trying to stay positive.  But the NFL is a really dumb league.  The players were just saying last week that they don’t believe in their plan. 

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Plus the sport has alot more physical contact between the players. Baseball has much less contact between players. Plus baseball players can sanitize between pitches and keep some on them while on the field....

The Cubs first basemen was passing out hand sanitizer haha

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, it is what it is, Marlins are decimated in a pretty bad way right now.   It’s all proportionate.  

However, with MLB, not only are they decimated but we now have 4 teams affected by postponed games and the Phillies potentially exposed.