14 Positives on Marlins

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Remember when we put the entire country on lockdown for 4 months to stop the flu and it still killed 1,000 people a day for 4 months straight while cases continued to increase exponentially?

No.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/child-hospitalizations-from-covid-19-rise-23-in-florida-weeks-ahead-of-school-reopenings/

Child hospitalizations from COVID-19 rise 23% in Florida weeks ahead of school reopenings

That's a death rate of .016 for kids.  That's less than the flu.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

A school did close around here for the Flu last year.. they fully closed for a week or so to sanitize.

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Remember how the countries that stuck to a lockdown and didn't turn wearing a comfortable piece of cloth on your face a political issue have a lot lower cases and are now opening up their economies? 

Why was it that the nations that took the virus most seriously are having the best results? The EU vs. USA numbers are alarming. People are acting like there isn't a real world example of an approach working better than science denial.

Members of a cult mostly..

• Like (+1) 3

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

COVID has already killed more than 3 times as many people as the flu did in the 2018-19 year with a far smaller infection rate. Continuing to compare them is not a valid argument. Peter King tried to use this same thing this morning quoting someone from the Chiefs, and called it common sense. I call it bs. He also tried to bring Herpes and HIV into the equation. You have to have sex or share needles to get HIV. Breathing will get you COVID, hmmmm. Herpes transmission is also not transmitted through breathing, maybe heavy breathing without your clothes on but once again not an apples to apples argument. As the old car commercial used to say, this isn’t your daddy’s Buick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So hospitalizations don’t matter, only deaths.  I guess we shouldn’t care if people lose their jobs, then.  After all, it only matters if you die.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

So hospitalizations don’t matter, only deaths.  I guess we shouldn’t care if people lose their jobs, then.  After all, it only matters if you die.

This is such an obtuse response. Death rates matter, and you know it matters.  We don't know what the hospitalization rate for children is from the flu; however, it follows that if the death rate is lower for COVID-19, so too is the hospitalization rate for COVID-19. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

Take it to PPP and the back to school thread as there's a plethora of studies at this point showing that kids are less likely to catch it than adults and even more less likely to transfer it.  

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Is it? Children seem to get the flu at a rate of 2.5* that of adults

https://www.livescience.com/50020-influenza-a-frequency.html

What does that have to do with the death rate of kids with the flu compared to covid-19?

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Take it to PPP and the back to school thread as there's a plethora of studies at this point showing that kids are less likely to catch it than adults and even more less likely to transfer it.  

That isn't really the complete problem or answer, though.  Schools aren't just kids.  In every community in this country, you're talking dozens if not hundreds of adults - and their entire social circles - at risk unless you create a safe environment to reopen.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

That's a hilarious video though, haha. I love it.

BTW I wear a mask and have been following all CDC suggestions. I just don't think it is working on a large scale and I don't attribute that to beach goers refusing to wear masks.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Give it time, it likely will get worse.  The article stated it's increasing.  Covid in Florida has only been out of control for less than 2 months. 

BTW can you show me where the death rate for seasonal flu of kids is located

Just now, MJS said:

That's a hilarious video though, haha. I love it.

BTW I wear a mask and have been following all CDC suggestions. I just don't think it is working on a large scale and I don't attribute that to beach goers refusing to wear masks.

Why and why not?

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Why and why not?

Because tons of people are following the guidelines and the spread continues, especially in densely populated areas that have had strict and enforced policies.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There's also more recent studies contradicting the older ones stating kids can spread it just as much if not more than adults. 

What will be the answer once a teacher or school bus driver catches it and now are out for two weeks?  Where will their replacement come from?  Can't believe someone would take a job as substitute teacher these days based on what they pay and with this on top.

1 minute ago, Bill Lewes said:

That isn't really the complete problem or answer, though.  Schools aren't just kids.  In every community in this country, you're talking dozens if not hundreds of adults - and their entire social circles - at risk unless you create a safe environment to reopen.

but isn't this the case for all work environments?  hell, my staff is in a way more "dangerous" situation than anyone at a school.  we put systems in place, have precautions, ppe, etc.  again, we may have to close for a period of time due to an incident, but we have to navigate through this the best we can.  all work places have risks.  we can eliminate risks...just try to greatly minimize them.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's also more recent studies contradicting the older ones stating kids can spread it just as much if not more than adults. 

What will be the answer once a teacher or school bus driver catches it and now are out for two weeks?  Where will their replacement come from?  Can't believe someone would take a job as substitute teacher these days based on what they pay and with this on top.

If anyone thinks kids WONT lick something then chase each other around yelling "CORNONA! CORONA!", then they've never met kids.

• Like (+1) 2