14 Positives on Marlins

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You’ve never read an article about flu season overwhelming ICU’s?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/%3famp=true

Man, everyone just graduated med school this year, huh?

OK, reading it do vaguely recall, but don't believe it made the national news for months on end as being an issue either.  Was it as widespread or more localized?

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

image.thumb.png.d2f08ad686de501f32c2ebe699e1bf1f.pngimage.thumb.png.f95106baafcbcbdc5b359899f0384c14.png

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sort of a distinction without a difference. I appreciate that the original graph was much more comprehensive. I really wish a similar graph existed for this point in time. That said, the conclusion to be drawn is that States that mandate facemasks show a decrease in cases. The opposite happened in California.  Its still a point that needs to be addressed. 

Well let's see what happened in Cali.  See plezmid1's helpful graph above.

They shut everything down very early and this kept a huge population's incidence very low.  Then, in mid-June, they started opening up some.  The day after they opened bars, the DOH estimated 500,000 LA citizens went to the bars/restaurants.  Soon after, cases spike.

As a result, Cali recloses  counties where 3/4 of the population lives.  As the graph above shows, this has resulted in a decline in positives.

Meanwhile, down south where they are proud to act the fool, it's out off control and guys like DeSantis don't care.

This really isn't hard to figure out.....

1 minute ago, Billl said:

So herd immunity was reached by having 250,000 out of 8,500,000 people becoming infected?  Herd immunity with an infection rate of 3%.  I can’t wait to have a good laugh with my wife (head of her science department) about this as soon as she’s done with her webinar on how to best educate students during a pandemic (which she is literally on right this second).

yes, go have a good laugh, and hopefully your wife is more educated than you on antibodies, testing, and herd immunity levels. But lets not let science get in the way of a discussion

Some ares on NYC 68% show anti bodies...most peg it at well over 20% in the city..even i am sure you will not question the science in the NYtimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-antibodies.html

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

amended my response...prove there is a correlation between mask wearing and declining cases...and BTW i have been wearing a mask since late March

It's been an honor serving with you.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well let's see what happened in Cali.  See plezmid1's helpful graph above.

They shut everything down very early and this kept a huge population's incidence very low.  Then, in mid-June, they started opening up some.  The day after they opened bars, the DOH estimated 500,000 LA citizens went to the bars/restaurants.  Soon after, cases spike.

As a result, Cali recloses  counties where 3/4 of the population lives.  As the graph above shows, this has resulted in a decline in positives.

Meanwhile, down south where they are proud to act the fool, it's out off control and guys like DeSantis don't care.

This really isn't hard to figure out.....

BTW, if you think that last bar on the cases line means anything, you really have not been following this at all

Out of control in Florida...i mean why let a good political bent get lost in the actual..you know, numbers

image.thumb.png.a8d4935de53df63e2115f4cf365fc112.png

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

yes, go have a good laugh, and hopefully your wife is more educated than you on antibodies, testing, and herd immunity levels. But lets not let science get in the way of a discussion

Some ares on NYC 68% show anti bodies...most peg it at well over 20% in the city..even i am sure you will not question the science in the NYtimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-antibodies.html

Herd immunity is typically plus minus 80%.  And the science of COVID "immunity" is still not settled.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Trump banned travel from China, and the left accused him of being a racist.

Is that true? I don't remember the left getting angry at Trump for banning travel as part of the pandemic response.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, teef said:

again...this will happen in every work environment.  you know what else will happen?  the job force will take a hit when people have no idea how to deal with care.  there's a big trickle down effect with schools closing.  

The job market has already taken a hit and doubt things will get close to the levels of Jan 2020 until things are much better overall.  The way I see it you have a choice as a country, shut everything down other than essential businesses like it was in March/April for about two months or keep limping along for the next year and a half.  Even if you shut down, will there be some flair ups, yes, but as soon as they start, you need to do what is needed to put them out on a local level and local could be as large as an entire state.   If you keep going the way we are, likely things like bars, movies, etc may not open for another year and for the most part polls say these days people overall would be in favor of that.. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The job market has already taken a hit and doubt things will get close to the levels of Jan 2020 until things are much better overall.  The way I see it you have a choice as a country, shut everything down other than essential businesses like it was in March/April for about two months or keep limping along for the next year and a half.  Even if you shut down, will there be some flair ups, yes, but as soon as they start, you need to do what is needed to put them out on a local level and local could be as large as an entire state.   If you keep going the way we are, likely things like bars, movies, etc may not open for another year and for the most part polls say these days people overall would be in favor of that.. 

i don't think the choices are completely to shut down or limp along.  in ny we had a total shut down, had a phased opening period, and are still holding strong.  that's how it should be.  a lot has to do with how people were educated or how serious they took the initial shut down.  being in wny, most of us took it very seriously.  we played by the rules, wore and still wear masks, social distanced, etc.  my sister in law was in palm springs, and they were working on a completely different set of rules.  it was a big joke what was happening up north.  she was out on boats, kids hanging out with whom ever they wanted.  it was going to go away "once the weather became warm".  we saw that in a lot of other states as well.  well look were those states are now.  if people actually used their heads and played by the rules, we would not be in this position today.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Herd immunity is typically plus minus 80%.  And the science of COVID "immunity" is still not settled.

show me one credible scientific peer reviewed study that shows  herd immunity at anything even approaching 80%..just one

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not my job...but here ya go . Yep, they sure look like they have fallen off a cliff! @HappyDays

BTW, just to clear, both well over 100% growth in new cases since June 10th, the baseline date for the bogus tweet

image.thumb.png.d2f08ad686de501f32c2ebe699e1bf1f.pngimage.thumb.png.f95106baafcbcbdc5b359899f0384c14.png

I have multiple responses:

1) A multi-state study is more effective than single-state because it has a higher sample size. Pointing out one state that exists outside of the trend does not dismiss the trend entirely. That was the purpose of the initial analysis I posted.

2) California's mask mandate is omly about a month old. It is entirely possible that this was done too late and that they are still seeing lasting effects from the initial surge.

3) I found multiple articles that say most counties in California are not actually enforcing the law. In practice is more of a recommendation, and some argue the governor doesn't have the right to personally create a mandate like that. My personal thoughts on that argument aside, I would not consider that a good sample of a state that "mandates masks."

If you have a graph or link that differs from what I posted in total I would like to see it. You don't get off the hook just because California is an exception to the rule. That isn't how statistics work.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is that true? I don't remember the left getting angry at Trump for banning travel as part of the pandemic response.

It is 100% untrue. There is a fake tweet from Schumer that says this and no other evidence of the left getting angry at Trump for banning travel as part of the pandemic response to China

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I distinctly remember the right wing pundits accusing the left of accusing Trump of being racist for his response.  I don’t remember anyone actually accusing Trump of being racist over restricting travel from China.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I have multiple responses:

1) A multi-state study is more effective than single-state because it has a higher sample size. Pointing out one state that exists outside of the trend does not dismiss the trend entirely. That was the purpose of the initial analysis I posted.

2) California's mask mandate is omly about a month old. It is entirely possible that this was done too late and that they are still seeing lasting effects from the initial surge.

3) I found multiple articles that say most counties in California are not actually enforcing the law. In practice is more of a recommendation, and some argue the governor doesn't have the right to personally create a mandate like that. My personal thoughts on that argument aside, I would not consider that a good sample of a state that "mandates masks."

If you have a graph or link that differs from what I posted in total I would like to see it. You don't get off the hook just because California is an exception to the rule. That isn't how statistics work.

bull crap...you posted data from June 24, i posted data from today!

You show me that graph of mandatory masks vs not rate increase of cases from June 10th to today.., you posted the old crappy data, go ahead and show me data from June 10th to today. 

And oh, by the way your thesis you were trying to prove with crap data is that mask wearing states are seeing decreases in cases by 25%, and non mask wear states are increasing by 82%...and than say california out cause they might not be wearing the masks...so that doesnt count. My lord man, can see you were not on a debate team or a law school graduate

And just to clear, show me where that tool came up with the case counts...what site was he using, what data etc was he using etc. 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can tell you how it would be different.

There would be 3000 dead and Republicans would be blowing their lid about the greatest failure by a President in American history.

It wouldnt have been 0 for anyone, ever. But starting the approach by dismissing a global pandemic as a "Democratic Hoax" set us down a path from which we are unable to recover.

Quoted for truth. #Benghazi

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You are dead right about the first piece. Republicans would have been absolutely terrible situation reversed. 

That said, Trump didn't call it a hoax. I feel like that has been fact-checked enough that people shouldn't still be making that claim. 

He said exactly what he needed to in order to put it into his supporters heads that it was a hoax while giving himself an out. "Their next hoax"

Edited by BullBuchanan

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

I distinctly remember the right wing pundits accusing the left of accusing Trump of being racist for his response.  I don’t remember anyone actually accusing Trump of being racist over restricting travel from China.

@HappyDays Biden called him xenophobic; Pelosi and De Blasio encouraged people, in light of the China travel ban, to disregard the virus and attend the Chinese New Year celebrations. Take a look at twitter generally, however, and people were quick to call him racist for the travel ban. This in conjunction with the obsession over whether he should call it the Chinese/Wuhan virus.  

• Like (+1) 2