Washington Redskins: 15 women claim sexual harassment

SDS

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m not one to rush to judgement, but if these allegations are true, it’s deplorable.  If not, then these women should be arrested. We’ll see after a criminal investigation.  If they covered it up, then Snyder is going to have a tough time keeping the team.  The owners will cave on him again if true.  It’s one thing for the Irsay thing, and he admitted he was addicted to pain meds, but covering up if true is what will pressure the league to force a sale.

The article literally has the text messages in some of the cases and a few of the men that were mentioned in the story were fired/retired before the news broke. I think the idea of the story being false is already out the window.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As many of you know I worked in sports for a while. This culture is rampant. I’ve been out of sports now for 8 years and kind of hoped that some of this changed in the me too era. I’m not at all surprised that it hasn’t. I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

It was like Mad Men meets Animal House. We would party extremely hard (out like 5 days a week). It would be interns to the president. You’d go certain places after games and there could be 50+ (not hyperbole) full time staff there. That doesn’t even mention the hundreds/thousands more out on a Friday Night in New Orleans. Alcohol (and whatever else) would enter the equation and now you’re in a weird situation. You have intoxicated executives buying drinks for their attractive 27-year-old sales reps. The women are put in a tough spot. “I want him to like me because it’s good for my career but I don’t want him to like me like that.” And that behavior carried over to the office environment. These weren’t isolated incidents. This was the way the culture was.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

The story mentions how many have non disclosure agreements so can't talk.  I'm sure ole Roger can require Danny boy to allow them to speak at a minimum to the NFL.  Considering this story won't go away, sponsors, media, fans will be all over this, also require him to allow them to speak freely to anyone.

I'd think the NFL and other owners aren't particularly fond of Danny either as years of losing hurts the $$ value, so may see them be quick to attempt to force him out.  Accidentally leak transcripts if needed to get the job done.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As many of you know I worked in sports for a while. This culture is rampant. I’ve been out of sports now for 8 years and kind of hoped that some of this changed in the me room era. I’m not at all surprised that it hasn’t. I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

It was like Mad Men meets Animal House. We would party extremely hard (out like 5 days a week). It would be interns to the president. You’d go certain places after games and there could be 50+ (not hyperbole) full time staff there. That doesn’t even mention the hundreds/thousands more out on a Friday Night in New Orleans. Alcohol (and whatever else) would enter the equation and now you’re in a weird situation. You have intoxicated executives buying drinks for their attractive 27-year-old sales reps. The women are put in a tough spot. “I want him to like me because it’s good for my career but I don’t want him to like me like that.” And that behavior carried over to the office environment. These weren’t isolated incidents. This was the way the culture was.

Yeah, I gotta imagine this is an issue for probably the majority of teams out there. Hell, it's still an issue for a ton of companies outside the sports world too. You can even tell just by some of the comments in this very thread.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Florio says that the NFL is going to basically let Washington sweep it under the rug with "Outside Counsel." iT ALSO APPEARS THAT Snyder WILL COME OUT OF IT UNSCATHED.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-plans-to-defer-to-the-lawyer-daniel-snyder-has-hired/ar-BB16Rvz3?ocid=ientp

If that is true, the NFL may have a problem with women's groups in the near future.

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As many of you know I worked in sports for a while. This culture is rampant. I’ve been out of sports now for 8 years and kind of hoped that some of this changed in the me room era. I’m not at all surprised that it hasn’t. I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

Finance is still like this, because it, too, is dominated by Baby Boomers used to a certain way of relating to the world.  Until that generation retires and fades into the sunset, this stuff will continue to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, I gotta imagine this is an issue for probably the majority of teams out there. Hell, it's still an issue for a ton of companies outside the sports world too. You can even tell just by some of the comments in this very thread.

Guess I've been lucky. Every place I have ever worked hasn't had any issues with a bad culture, or at least nothing like that. Almost everyone has been professionals and respectful.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Guess I've been lucky. Every place I have ever worked hasn't had any issues with a bad culture, or at least nothing like that. Almost everyone has been professionals and respectful.

My company is too large for me to really say, but my department at least is nothing like what this article describes (at least as far as I know). But even then, I vividly remember at our holiday party that a coworker grabbed another coworker's ass. I didn't personally see it but I heard the woman say "oh my god he just grabbed my ass" either to herself or to another coworker.

And I know some of my friends haven't been as relatively lucky as me in that regard either. Quite a few have been pretty much scarred including at least two that ended up quitting their jobs because it was so bad.

In our overly "sensitive/politically correct" world in which we live i just wonder how many of these sexual harassment claims are something as simple as a guy saying something like "Hey girl you look hot today" or "dang look at those legs" ? 

So many people today are so sensitive that the slightest of statements could later turn into a harassment allegation !

If that be the case i sure am glad i'm not in high school any more cause i would still be in prison for playing grab ass while going down the hall ways !

If i were to ever run for public office i can see a bunch of women coming out saying what a perv i was and being a man i would proudly say .

YES SIR I I AM GUILTY AND I DID GRAB HER ASS WHILE GOING TO SCIENCE CLASS !! ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, T master said:

In our overly "sensitive/politically correct" world in which we live i just wonder how many of these sexual harassment claims are something as simple as a guy saying something like "Hey girl you look hot today" or "dang look at those legs" ? 

So many people today are so sensitive that the slightest of statements could later turn into a harassment allegation !

If that be the case i sure am glad i'm not in high school any more cause i would still be in prison for playing grab ass while going down the hall ways !

If i were to ever run for public office i can see a bunch of women coming out saying what a perv i was and being a man i would proudly say .

Um, yeah, that's pretty much the definition of sexual harassment.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, T master said:

Better change your name to HIGH T MASTER

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Um, yeah, that's pretty much the definition of sexual harassment.

The remarks or behaviors must be unwelcome, not simply remarks or behaviors of a sexual nature.

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

The remarks or behaviors must be unwelcome, not simply remarks or behaviors of a sexual nature.

Of course, but you have no idea when you say those things if they are or are not welcome. In a workplace, you have to assume they are not, especially considering someone that simply overhears it can be the person that treats it as unwelcome versus the person actually on the receiving end of the comment.