Beane has a history of trading up for the right player. Who would he move up for if they keep dropping?

I am guessing that if Espenesa or Gross-Matos drop a few more spots, he may move up to grab one of them.  Personally, I hope we stay put, because there will be plenty of options at 54, but Beane tends to focus on a particular player and make the move when they get close enough for it to be affordable. What do you guys think? Which player would he move up for if they continue to slide?

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to Beane, I got the impression he does not want to use his 3rd rounder as ammo in a trade up.  That said, I do think he will spend a 4th or 5th to make a move in the 3rd.  He's shown he gets itchy to move up in the mid rounds as you said

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don't want us to trade up, but I could see a move (And would probably be okay with it) if one of 5 guys drops below 40:

Epenesa

Gross-Matos

Baun

Fulton

Diggs. 

I agree with your list but would replace Diggs with Jaylon Johnson. there's some rumblings about Diggs having a poor work ethic and an attitude of entitlement. I think Diggs will fall to the 3rd.

Just now, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree with your list but would replace Diggs with Jaylon Johnson. there's some rumblings about Diggs having a poor work ethic and an attitude of entitlement. I think Diggs will fall to the 3rd.

I forgot about Johnson, but yes to him as well.

Not sure about Diggs, but I wonder if having the brother is a positive or a negative in his favor here. 

With Murphy still in the fold this year, I could see us looking elsewhere.  Keep in mind, Jefferson can also play off the edge.  Hughes and Addison are both good players, who while older, play at a position where talented guys play at a high level into their mid-30s.  

We could do a lot worse than Hughes, Addison, Murphy and Jefferson off the edge, with Oliver, Star, Butler and Phillips up the middle. 

Next year, with our 1st Round Pick... I could see us investing high in EDGE. 

• Like (+1) 3

For the 20 years before Beane arrived, we would have been more successful using the media mock drafts instead of having a scouting department.   I don't know who the pick is, but in Beane we trust.   We will have two more quality football players on our team before the day is done.

• Like (+1) 3

I do think Kyle Dugger is on the radar.   Dugger is a potential game impacting playmaker on the defensive side of the ball.   

He's got elite speed, athleticism and explosion.  He's 6'2 and around 220 and has soft hands, wrecks people and produces lots of turnovers.  He would be used often and in a variety of ways.  He could end up being one of the steals of the draft.   I could see him being an ALL pro with the Ravens.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t understand why people are so opposed to him... 

When it comes to defensive picks... I’ll defer to McBeane every time. 

I get why people are opposed to the pick. He's a player who feasted at a lower level of competition, so how will that translate at the next level (worked out pretty well for McNair). Plus he plays at a very unexciting position. However, first, I agree with what you said about trusting McBeane on these things.

I'd posit he might be the best possible pick for a team with no real needs and few depth holes -- a guy who might be a bit of a project, but whose upside is elite. Also, it might be the best landing spot for Dugger as he will have time to get his sealegs beneath him behind Poyer and Hyde, while he also can come in and be a ST beast immediately.

If we're picking at 54 and Epenesa or Gross-Matos haven't dropped this far, Dugger is my pick -- he's got huge potential to be a steal at 54 (but he also might not last that long)

Ultimately, my preference is to trade up to nab someone if they can get up enough for any of Epenesa, G-M, Jaylon Johnson (who i just love), or Trevon Diggs (simply b/c it would be a great story and i suspect the brothers would be good for each other). 

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Mims or Josh Jones would be two guys worth the trade up if they got close.

I definitely like Mims, but I don't see us moving up for a WR.  I think if we move up at all, it would be for a pass rusher.  If we want an Offensive play maker, I think there are very good WR's and RB's that will make it to 54.

• Like (+1) 3

Unless someone drops to 54 and is a no-brained for us I’d love to see him trade down a few picks and take claypoole. 6’4 guys with 4.45 speed are hard to come by. An interesting thing about claypoole is he’s also a ST terror. I read somewhere that he led the nation in ST tackles. Sounds like a McBesn type of guy

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They know defense no doubt.

I don't think he'll be BPA when they pick nor does he play a premier position. He's a safety who's biggest contribution this season will most likely be special teams. No thanks. 

Sorry. If it's between a top end rusher, WR, or even RB and Dugger im taking the former. Without question.

IMO he plays a premier position in McDermott’a defense. Shaq Thompson played an extremely important role... it’s all relative.

I don’t think an EDGE or WR (maybe in 4 WR sets?) we take 54 would be a clear cut starter for us either. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think he'll be BPA when they pick nor does he play a premier position. He's a safety who's biggest contribution this season will most likely be special teams. No thanks. 

Sorry. If it's between a top end rusher, WR, or even RB and Dugger im taking the former. Without question.

An obvious top end pass rusher doesn't last to the 2nd round.  The Bills could use a young option on the edge, but they have volume to get them through this season.

That Buffalo Nickle is a position that hasn't been filled in McD's defense.  Don't be surprised if Dugger is the pick.  He's versatile as a defender and plays Special Teams.   There will be good RBs available with later picks, no need to take one in 2nd if Singletary is truly their guy, which he seems to be.

I could see a WR being the pick though, depending.  If Pittman or Shenault is there at #54 Beane might jump.   

• Like (+1) 4

59 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I forgot about Johnson, but yes to him as well.

Not sure about Diggs, but I wonder if having the brother is a positive or a negative in his favor here. 

If they like Diggs that's fine as I'm sure they would have done sufficient research on him.  If they don't intend to pick him I hope he's off the board by 54 rather than us passing him over.  You never know what kind of emotions you'll have to deal with

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No way we would move up for him though, right?

I don’t think we do... at least not a significant move up. Maybe 3-4 picks to make sure we secure him? 

Otherwise I see a move up early in the 3rd or late second from 86. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Genuine question for those who are wanting Gross-Matos -- have you watched him play? Or is the excitement about him based solely off of website rankings?

That guy is not going to be a good NFL player...

I'm not sure how anyone gets excited about him based on website rankings / write-ups.  He typically gets very generic narratives that he's productive, but not outstanding and that its a draft year short on Edge talent.  Makes me want to trade up for him....NOT

48 minutes ago, Estro said:

Listening to Beane, I got the impression he does not want to use his 3rd rounder as ammo in a trade up.  That said, I do think he will spend a 4th or 5th to make a move in the 3rd.  He's shown he gets itchy to move up in the mid rounds as you said

I think you're right about this.  Not counting Diggs, I have had the impression that he is only looking to grab three guys with a serious chance to make the roster and contribute early.  The rest would be developmental or high risk picks.  If that is accurate, picks 2,3,and 4 are important unless he can package 4 with 5 and/or 6 to get to the end of round three or top of round 4.  After sitting through round one and watching some good talent slide down the board, Beane probably can't wait to get some action.  I guess I find it hard to wait also.

4 minutes ago, cage said:

If they like Diggs that's fine as I'm sure they would have done sufficient research on him.  If they don't intend to pick him I hope he's off the board by 54 rather than us passing him over.  You never know what kind of emotions you'll have to deal with

That's a good point. Especially if we pass on him for another CB. 

Just now, cage said:

I'm not sure how anyone gets excited about him based on website rankings / write-ups.  He typically gets very generic narratives that he's productive, but not outstanding and that its a draft year short on Edge talent.  Makes me want to trade up for him....NOT

You're not wrong, I'm just curious where it's coming from. I've seen him on "best available" lists, so was thinking maybe that was it? The guy's not going to be good. His tape is terrible. His combine was meh. Don't get it...

16 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I want shenault. Not holding my breath since we already used a pick to acquire a wr. He could fall to the 3rd due to the injury concerns. If we add him and Bryce hall that’s two 1st round level talents available due to injury concerns. 

I’d trade up for fulton. 

Smoke is a FA after next season.  Since this is a deep draft for WR now would be a good time to draft a young WR to develop.  Shenault and Pittman play Special Teams.  Claypoole as well.  So they can help even if they aren't getting a lot of snaps on offense.   I expect to see Beane draft one, I just don't know if it would be in round 2.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I won’t quibble much with the idea that Edge or RB might be better picks, but to call Dugger a safety or to see he’ll only contribute on special teams this year is inaccurate and shows that you don’t understand how they would be using him.

16 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Genuine question for those who are wanting Gross-Matos -- have you watched him play? Or is the excitement about him based solely off of website rankings?

That guy is not going to be a good NFL player...

To be honest, I am a bit gun-shy on long lean pass rushers from Penn State. (I'm lookin' at you Maybin)  I personally have not watched much of him and much prefer what I have seen from AJ Epenesa. I only speculated a potential move up for one of those 2 because it appears to be the biggest position of need with the fewest number of "elite" prospects remaining.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

To be honest, I am a bit gun-shy on long lean pass rushers from Penn State. (I'm lookin' at you Maybin)  I personally have not watched much of him and much prefer what I have seen from AJ Epenesa. I only speculated a potential move up for one of those 2 because it appears to be the biggest position of need with the fewest number of "elite" prospects remaining.

Fair enough, that's why it was a genuine question. I don't begrudge others NOT spending days at a time of watching film.

I don't consider YGM anywhere near "elite". Epenesa would be a nice value at 54, as would Baun, but I'm legit not sure if I'd want YGM with our 4th or 5th rd picks. I think that little of him

• Thank you (+1) 1