Updated: Yannick tweets again

55 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d love to have the tough decisions that come with winning a Super Bowl.  People often overlook the value inherent in trades like this.  The certainty of getting an elite player that otherwise would be unattainable except by drafting that player is of enormous value.  Simply put, the success rate of hitting on even first round draft picks is only about 50% and the threshold for “success” is pretty low.  This article got a 53% success rate for players averaging an AV of 5.  To put that in perspective 581 players in the NFL had an AV of 5 or greater. 

https://theriotreport.com/scout-camp-2018-about-the-author/

Finding an elite player is much less likely, obviously, and elite players change the outcomes of games.  The possibilities of draft picks are fun, but they’re just lottery tickets.  And cap space is only worth something when it’s used effectively.  I’d give 22 and more plus a market value contract for a young, elite talent - especially one who plays a premium position.  That allocation of resources would almost certainly help the team more than drafting with those picks and signing FAs with the same cap space. 

Fair points. 

I suppose if the team is in the perfect position (meaning salary cap wise and being a contender) and the player is going to live up to the contract he gets then it may be worth it. He must be a vital piece on a team that makes a deep playoff run for it to payoff in my eyes.

I personally do not see Ngakoue as that guy, but it's within the realm of possibility. No doubt it's a position of need and that the position is hard to find elite talent.

Edited by BeastMaster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Where you were right is living in London is expensive. But then it is the greatest city in the world so that comes with a price tag. The super rich from America, the China, the Gulf states and Russia are all heavily invested in the London property market. People want to live here. 

I don’t blame them, We visited London some years back, stayed at the Luna & Simone hotel, my wife and I were doing a bit of touring, we visited Paris, Florence, Montepulciano, Stuttgart, Rome etc,  it is our intent to return and spend more time in the UK, we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit, London is a very cool town.  We are currently living on our sailboat, sailing between New England and the southern Bahamas, chasing the warm temps. My grandfather moved from Coventry to the States via Canada were he met my Grandmother who moved from Ireland, they had a Jaguar XKE,  loved that car. When we get to old to sail (a few years out) we are headed back, we want to spend a month in the UK., my wife wants to do some walks in the Cotswolds(sp)?  yes we are retired, pensioners as you might say. 

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I don’t blame them, We visited London some years back, stayed at the Luna & Simone hotel, my wife and I were doing a bit of touring, we visited Paris, Florence, Montepulciano, Stuttgart, Rome etc,  it is our intent to return and spend more time in the UK, we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit, London is a very cool town.  We are currently living on our sailboat, sailing between New England and the southern Bahamas, chasing the warm temps. My grandfather moved from Coventry to the States via Canada were he met my Grandmother who moved from Ireland, they had a Jaguar XKE,  loved that car. When we get to old to sail (a few years out) we are headed back, we want to spend a month in the UK., my wife wants to do some walks in the Cotswolds(sp)?  yes we are retired, pensioners as you might say. 

Go Bills!!!

Cotswolds are beautiful. I am off there next week for the horse racing. Lovely part of the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Fair points. 

I suppose if the team is in the perfect position (meaning salary cap wise and being a contender) and the player is going to live up to the contract he gets then it may be worth it. He must be a vital piece on a team that makes a deep playoff run for it to payoff in my eyes.

I personally do not see Ngakoue as that guy, but it's within the realm of possibility. No doubt it's a position of need and that the position is hard to find elite talent.

That’s also a fair point.  Valuing young, elite players as worth significant draft picks plus a big contract is one thing.  Saying that Ngakoue is one of those players is another.  I’ll be honest on that, I haven’t looked closely enough at him to have an opinion there. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

The main reason Jacksonville cant afford Ngakoue is the money tied up in Bortles and Foles. I have also been thinking the past week about possibly taking on Foles' contract and being able to sign Ngakoue long term at  20 mill per year. To take on Foles' contract, Jacksonville might even give us an extra 4th rounder in addition to trading the rights to Ngakoue. We have a healthy cap situation and need to spend money. So why not take on Foles and offload him to someone else for draft comp when their starting QB is hurt? Foles has been a backup before (To Minshew of all people) and is not really a locker room threat to Josh Allen who is the unquestioned starter. So I dont anticipate locker room issues. This way we preserve our draft picks and still get Ngakoue.

Other guys jumping on the Foles / Ngakoue package Deal. Bills specifically mentioned.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/3/3/21163042/jacksonville-jaguars-trade-rumors-yannick-ngakoue-nick-foles

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Other guys jumping on the Foles / Ngakoue package Deal. Bills specifically mentioned.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/3/3/21163042/jacksonville-jaguars-trade-rumors-yannick-ngakoue-nick-foles

Interesting thought!  A ton of moving parts, but I could also see Buffalo tagging Lawson and including him in the trade as well (packaged with a 3rd).   Not nearly as expensive as Ngakoue will be, but still a productive young D end with upside.  But that just makes way too much sense for the Jags, so I doubt DC would go for it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DFT said:

Interesting thought!  A ton of moving parts, but I could also see Buffalo tagging Lawson and including him in the trade as well (packaged with a 3rd).   Not nearly as expensive as Ngakoue will be, but still a productive young D end with upside.  But that just makes way too much sense for the Jags, so I doubt DC would go for it.

Ngakoue and Folks for Shaq and a 4th

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

We can do better than that!   Swap #22 for #49 and throw in a third this year (#86) and a third next year...

Or we can let Seattle have him and let Clowney walk, then we can sign Clowney instead. That leaves us all our draft picks fo trade up for a #1 WR.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

We can do better than that!   Swap #22 for #49 and throw in a third this year (#86) and a third next year...

Ugh.  AND pay him 20+ mill?  I don’t like it.  He’s a good player but I think a 1st/2nd rd swap and 2 3rds is a bit steep imo.  

Like others have said, let Seattle have him and focus on Clowney 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1